Ten Favorite Pop Songs: It's All in the Game (#1)

@FourWalls (9946)
The last song on the countdown means two things. One, I'm about to give you my all-time favorite pop song; and two, I need to find another subject to count down! Among all the pop standards and classic songs, there can be only one...and, in my book, this is it. Here's my favorite pop song. #1: It's All in the Game - Tommy Edwards How much do I love this song? If you remember all that gushing I did about "The Great Pretender" yesterday, all I can say is I'd take this song before that one! Most of you music geeks know this, but for the masses out there who aren't music geeks, this is the only #1 song in history co-written by a United States Vice President and/or Nobel Peace Prize winner. No, he didn't actually sit down and collaborate with the lyricist on this. Instead, Charles Dawes, who had numerous interests in his life, wrote a piece of music that he called "Melody in A Major" in 1911. It later became known as "Dawes' Melody" and, as an instrumental, was popular (Tommy Dorsey recorded it in the early 40s). In 1951, the year Dawes died, Carl Sigman wrote the lyrics to the melody. Tommy Edwards recorded it as a rather slow, heavily orchestrated song. In 1958 he re-recorded the song in the version that most people are familiar with. That rendition went to #1 for six weeks on the charts. And what an incredible job he did. This song gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. And I could hear it again and again, goosebumps and all. Thanks for reading. It's All in the Game Written by Carl Sigman and Charles Dawes Recorded by Tommy Edwards Released as a single, 1958 (Also a single, 1951) Your hearts will fly away:
It's All In The Game - Tommy Edwards
I heard this song a lot growing up because it was a favorite of my mother's and she had the 45.
Interesting history of a great song.
• Riga, Latvia
Thanks for sharing. Had all but forgotten about this song but I don't know the singer. I know this version by Nat King Cole.
DISCLAIMER: I do not own any rights of this song or video. It's All In The Game...... Many a tear has to fall But it's all in the game All in the wonderful g...
This is such a quality song. It's not a song I would listen to a lot, but when I hear it I really like it. I don't know if that makes any sense.
@1hopefulman (20280)
I had heard the song but did not know the history. Great song!
Such a great, smooth voice. Great series!
@dgobucks226 (6713)
That is a very good one among pop standards. A favorite of mine, it rivals some of the Drifters standards like "There Goes My Baby" I so enjoy.
@LoriAMoore (9986)
I know this one!