Southern California Wildfires Out of Control

Photo from Twitter
Laguna Woods, California
The news here in Southern California has been consumed by the four wildfires which are burning. Two are in Ventura County, north of Los Angeles. One is along the 405 Freeway near Malibu and Brentwood, on the northern edge of Los Angeles. The fourth fire is in the San Bernardino mountains, west of Los Angeles. Our family mostly lives south of Los Angeles, in Orange County, so we are not directly affected by these fires, other than the poor air quality. My husband's sister lives in an assisted living facility in Ojai, very near the largest of the fires in Ventura County. However, her son and two of her grandsons are firemen, and I am sure they have evacuated her to one of their homes in Santa Barbara. While I'm relieved that our family is all safe from the fires, it is sad to watch the destruction that other people are experiencing. Nearly 200 homes have burned down; numerous others have experienced severe damage. Several people have been injured. Thirty horses were found burned to death when their owner could not get them into trailers and away from the fire fast enough. She managed to save 15 of our horses, but could not get the others out in time. Since none of the fires have been contained and gale force winds of up to 70 mph are expected over the next few days, more property damage can be expected, at the very least. It is so sad, and I feel bad for the people who have lost so much.
@1hopefulman (20332)
Yes, I saw the news and feel very bad for all those affected.
@1hopefulman (20332)
@DeborahDiane My mother used to say that fire and water are very much unstoppable.
• Laguna Woods, California
@1hopefulman - Your mother was right. Those two forces are hard to stop.
@1hopefulman (20332)
@DeborahDiane How is the situation today?
It's pretty bad. Here in the SFV, the air is so smoky and I saw people wearing masks.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - wearing masks is probably a good idea. Staying inside is probably even better. We can smell the smoke down here in Orange County, so I am sure it is bad up there.
Prayers going out to everyone affected.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TRBRocks420 - I pray those people are able to recover from the shock and loss, too. It has been hard on some of them.
I am so sorry about all these wildfires that CA has experienced lately. Tonight's news said that there are now 6 wildfires moving at approximately 1 acre per second!
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Yes, it has been pretty awful. We are lucky at the moment, because none of the wilderness areas in Orange County have caught fire. However, I will hold my breath until the first rainfall this winter. About 20 years ago, over 150 homes burned within the city of Laguna Beach, and additional homes burned in the surrounding areas. I would not like to see that happen again!
@DeborahDiane My prayers are with you that nothing like that ever happens again! I hope you get a huge rainfall soon, just like so much of the country has gotten snow.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Sadly, no rainfall is expected for the next two weeks and they expect to still be fighting the fires until at least Christmas! Right now, the worst of the fires is about 100 miles north of us, but I feel sorry for all the people who have been affected. A little snow would be wonderful!
That is one place I could never live. sleeping there would not be possible. good luck to those there.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sharon6345 - I know that many people in other parts of the country feel that way. However, over 10% of all Americans live in California, so most of our residents seem happy here. When we lived in Texas, our house was hit by tornadoes three times. I found that more terrifying. I guess every place has its own natural disasters and we all need to reach across state lines and help each other whenever we can.
@DeborahDiane when I lived in Miami that was the worst I could imagine I think that was enough disaster for a life time. Fire never in my life unless it were here in Ny. I will take snow any day.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sharon6345 - I understand. We can only take so many disasters in our life, or we develop PTSD.
We are in the San Fernando Valley. We're pretty much in the middle of the Valley away from the fire areas, but we can still see and smell the smoke (well, the wind has visually taken the smoke away, but we can tell it's still burning). We are in between and west of the 405 and Sylmar area one . . . Hubby works south of the Ventura one but has been able to make it to work ok. The winds did pick up . . . I heard the fires are really not that much contained yet. So many have lost their homes already.
• Laguna Woods, California
@much2say - We can smell the smoke here in Orange County, so I am sure the smell is worse where you are. This morning, a couple of additional fires had sprung up. I hope these winds die down soon, so the firemen can get a handle on things.
@DeborahDiane The fires near us are 75-85% contained . . . so it's getting there. However I am reading the Ventura fire has gotten worse . . . and then there is the San Diego fire too. Scary fire season, to say the least.
• Laguna Woods, California
@much2say - Yes, it has been a scary fire season. My sister-in-law is in assisted living and was evacuated from Ojai to Santa Barbara. Now I heard that parts of Santa Barbara are being evacuated. What a mess!
That is really terrible. The woman would be devastated to lose so many horses.
@DeborahDiane That is very sad indeed. Poor woman.
• Eugene, Oregon
Those fires and the whole fire season in California and the west are so terrible. I don't know how they are going to control the fires near Santa Barbara as long as the wind is so crazy.
• Eugene, Oregon
1h
@DeborahDiane Yes, I heard that and it was awful.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
This is truly frightening to watch.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Morleyhunt - Yes, it makes us all very nervous in this area, especially with the winds blowing so hard.
@cahaya1983 (9643)
I just saw a news coverage about this. It's really sad, I hope things would be under control very soon.
• Laguna Woods, California
@cahaya1983 - Me, too! I hope they get the fires under control soon.
@lady1993 (15595)
I saw this on the news yesterday .. this fire is quite huge and has destroyed so much.. has it been put out yet?
• Laguna Woods, California
@lady1993 - No. Sadly, the fires will continue to burn for at least another four or five days. Probably longer. It is hard for them to put out fires like this, when the wind is so strong that helicopters cannot go up and drop water on the fires.
• Rochester, New York
I pray for a good downpour there. Hopefully you get some rain soon.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LisaSteinmetz - Thank you, Lisa. No rain is expected for at least another week, but we can always hope something comes along soon!