Whut th' feckin' heck???

By JJ
I swear I turned that light off. -flips wall switch- *click* Huh? *click* *click* *click* *click* clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick *walks over and unplugs lamp* Guess it's time for a new wall switch.
Blame it on Scar
I could...I turned it on to change his litter box
@JolietJake there you go!!
@vandana7 (57528)
@Happy2BeMe He is always blaming that poor cat. Scar has such beautiful coat...
Seems it took you a while to work out the switch wasn't working.
@owlwings (38194)
• Cambridge, England
Don't suppose Scar's been fiddling with your electrics again has he? Most switches here come already made for two-way operation so that each of the poles has a connection. When you want a one-way switch, you just don't wire in one of the poles. If you really want to fool someone, though, all you need is a short piece of wire, an insulated screwdriver and maybe a pair of rubber gloves. You remove the switch insert one end of the wire into the 'on' pole and the other into the vacant 'off' pole. Whichever way the switch is, the current will always flow through the lamp.
Here they sell one-way and two-way as separate items, the one-way switch body is noticeably smaller. I often wonder who wired this house because the hallway has two-way switches on either end...but they aren't right. Dad replaced one years ago and now if you turn it on with one and off with the other, you can't turn it back on with the first one.
@Morleyhunt (16808)
Ah...a switched outlet. Our granddaughter discovered that we have one outlet (the Christmas tree is plugged into) that is controlled by two switches...who knew? We had no idea what that second switch was for.
Yeah, each of the bedrooms (and the living room) has a switched outlet because they didn't install ceiling lights when the house was built. I was in one and flipped the switch when I left it...didn't look back...a few minutes later I was walking past it and saw the light on and thought I'd forgot to shut it off.
@Morleyhunt (16808)
@JolietJake our new house is like that . Each bedroom has a switched outlet and no overhead lights...this will take some getting used to. I think when my son comes to visit he'll be installing a ceiling light in the sewing room at least...I like my lights when I'm sewing.
@hereandthere (24267)
speaking of lamps, that's on my christmas wish list - a bedside lamp
I think it might be the original switch....47 years ain't bad. Usually they stop working in the 'off' position, this one stays on now.
@JolietJake i still like fluorescent, to be honest. it's what i grew up with - the long ones above the dressers and the circular ones on the ceiling.
Grrr, that sounds a little annoying. We have 1 light switch that we don't know what it controls, there are no plugs near it and no light fixture in that room.
Some of Boss's rental houses are like that...there are switches that don't seem to be for anything but flipping up and down
@JolietJake I guess its like the wall has a middle finger
@BarBaraPrz (17603)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
You showed it who's in control. I have dreams like that, where I turn something off but it stays on... either a radio or TV. Sometimes it's the lights in the house I lived in as a teenager, and I have to turn off all the switches in the downstairs. Three lights will go out, then when I turn off the fourth one, one of the ones I already turned off comes back one.
@crossbones27 (15253)
• Redlands, California
Sounds like our whole house. Welcome to ghetto life. My brother moved all of his PC gear to the garage to stop blowing our fuses.
@FourWalls (10111)
Okay, I'll make the obvious statement..... You were pondering what had happened....then the light came on. (Or in this case, wouldn't go off.) Sorry, someone had to say it.
Sometimes I feel like it's that way with my brain - but I can't unplug it .
Love this! cause sometimes mine will not work at all.
I've never had one that decided it was not gonna turn off anymore, it's always been the other way
@EddieHands (33088)
yes I think it is truly time for a new one!!
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
Don't keep flippin' the switch or you might cause an electrical short @JolietJake .
@peachpurple (10720)
you really need to install a new one, after all, it is a 48 years old house
You need to get the Clapper.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We had a switch in the main bathroom, that copped an attitude. One minute the light would be on, it would go out, then possibly flicker back on a minute later:) Demons, J.J. Demons Send your boss to the hardware four times, so he can get it fixed!