Maybe it's not funny

Bunbury, Australia
We have a number of rabbits at our place and it seems impossible to keep their numbers down. We did stop them getting under our shed but now they have a new hole a few metres from the shed and are burrowing under it again. These rabbits are really getting up our noses. On a slightly different subject: our caravan has a toilet. The waste goes into a canister which has biodegradable liquid in it which starts the breakdown process of the waste. The canister needs to be emptied and if we’re at home Vince usually takes it out into the bush. However we had just put the caravan into the shed and I thought ‘Payback time’! So we tipped the canister down the rabbit-hole. That’ll learn ‘em. But when I told a friend she didn’t laugh. So I’m just wondering – am I a bit strange or do you think it is funny too. Maybe just a little bit? But I would NEVER do that to the sweet little bunny in the photo. We spotted him in France somewhere.
The rabbit situation is still out of control down under? I thought it was finally controlled.
It's ongoing. They'll never get rid of all of them.
• Denmark
So you favour good-looking rabbits and punish others because they're ugly? Is such favouritism based on looks politically correct? ;-)
The pretty one isn't in my garden or under my shed! That's the difference. And I don't remember saying 'ugly'.
You're right, that will teach them and maybe that will start them packing and moving. If not, then they don't have the greatest sense do they?
Do you have a product called 'Blood and Bone'? It's a type of fertiliser. The smell of it is supposed to deter rabbits so perhaps our product will.
@JudyEv We do, its referred to as bone meal, but I would imagine that would do the trick.
@Juliaacv Yes that's basically what this is.
@Emmlex1000 (1417)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Animals are so funny sometimes, sometimes they act weird and sometimes normal
• Denmark
Animals always act normal and are never weird. You can't compare their behaviour to human behaviour.
• Lagos, Nigeria
@MALUSE I also have rabbit that is so destructive and troublesome at night
I had a rabbit once who made moaning noises it was so weird sounding people always told me how weird he was but I assume it really was him snoring.
@ilocosboy (33307)
While you have problems of their numbers in here we do pet them to multiply.
Are they used as food or as pets?
@ilocosboy (33307)
As pets only, no one have the guts to kill rabbits he he
@ilocosboy We saw a lot of places in France and Germany where they were raised for meat.
@Fleura (6229)
Well it might persuade them to move on. But here at least that sort of waste must be disposed of only in approved facilities.
There are disposal facilities in caravan parks and some towns but we have 18 acres here so if we're at home we dispose of it here.
@Fleura (6229)
@JudyEv As long as it doesn't seep into the water table, I think that's the concern.
@Fleura It's only a few pints. I really don't think it is a concern.
@topffer (30796)
• France
I cannot tell for this kind of manure, but they flee away of gardens if you put stinging nettles manure in it. Besides it is a very good fertilizer. Have you stinging nettles in Australia ? Otherwise a couple of cats outdoor during the night, and a dog during the day can help them think twice before tresspassing.
Yes, we have stinging nettles although we don't have any on our place. Blood and Bone is a commercial fertiliser and the smell of that is supposed to deter them.
@bagarad (7917)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv AS my husband said about our deer who eat what they're not supposed to like and ignore the poison oak they are supposed to like, they can't read the same books we do.
@bagarad I like that! And it would seem very true too. I must remember that. And thinking about it, there are a lot of people who don't read the same books as me! Judging by their opinions and behaviour.
It sounds kind of mean,,,but I understand they are becoming a problem. Maybe consult an expert?
The waste isn't going to reach any rabbits really. It only a small amount and would soak into the sand before it got too far down, The experts aren't much help. We poisoned them once but they soon breed up again.
@bagarad (7917)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv Have you considered rabbit stew?
@bagarad First catch your rabbit! They are not always easy to catch and I've just about got past wanting to be bothered skinning and gutting it.
• Derby, England
I couldn't kill them and think the myxomatosis thing was really cruel. I know thy have become a pest in Australia. maybe if you can get someone to shoot them you could enjoy some rabbit pie!
Or trap them and take them somewhere else to live?
They are very hard to control. Nothing stops them for long .
@shaggin If you were able to trap them and relocate them (and that would be near impossible) others would move in in their place in a heartbeat.
@Morleyhunt (16808)
I get that response when I tell people we are eager to eliminate the overs us dance of squirrels...or that horrors we removed a few trees (aka weeds) from my flowerbeds....I personally find it at least somewhat amusing....may even a lot funny!
The massive burrows they're creating so near to the shed are a worry and the liquid wouldn't have gone more than a few metres before soaking into the earth. Hopefully the smell lingered a bit longer
@bagarad (7917)
• Paso Robles, California
We have five little oaks in my rose garden we need to have removed before they are big enough to make removal illegal. They are the children of my oak across the tree.
@bagarad Why would it be illegal to remove them and how big would they have to be?
I love little rabbits, but I've never had to deal with a mass amount of them, and I'm sure it gets very tiring. I saw a documentary one time about the exploding rabbit problem in Australia.
Rabbits were introduced years ago and have been a major problem ever since. They are very hard to get rid of. They might die down for a while but then they breed up again. This is an old photo of when they reached plague proportions.
@JudyEv I feel sorry for them, because their just doing what they're suppose to do, but that doesn't make it easy for people who have to put up with them. Too bad they can't develop some type of rabbit birth control that could be put in food for them. That picture reminds me of rabbit island.
@misunderstood_zombie You're right. Some sort of birth control would be ideal.I haven't heard of rabbit island.
• Riga, Latvia
Well it is rather amusing. Wonder what the bunnies thought just as long as it doesn't hurt them.
It would never have reached their nest even if they were in there. The smell might put them off for a day or two but that's about it.
@FayeHazel (11908)
Lol! That is funny. I know, rabbits are hard to control
That's true. Nothing seems to stop them for long.
@Daelii (2160)
That's a cute bunny and looks like the two that hang out in our backyard. I toss out fruit/ vegetables to feed them and other wildlife. I dont mind their presence on the property. I might own the land technically but its for use for all if god's critters. I love seeing them hop around in the woods. :) So... I personally dont think its funny. Is it time for babies there? What if baby bunnies were in there?
The liquid would soak into the sand in the first few metres so it's only really the smell that would be unpleasant for them. And it is possible that they can undermine the shed to the point where it is dangerous.
@moffittjc (35772)
• Gainesville, Florida
Can you trap the rabbits and cook them and serve them up for supper? lol
I used to want a pet rabbit and Vince would always say he loved rabbits too - especially with bacon! I used to trap rabbits when I was younger but we don't have any rabbit traps now and they were a pretty cruel invention anyway.
@moffittjc (35772)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv The best rabbit trap is a small caliber rifle! haha
@moffittjc I couldn't agree more. I don't think I could be bothered with skinning them though. Occasionally you see a whole rabbit for sale in the butcher's shop and they are very expensive.
@Platespinner (18586)
I think it's funny. But then I'm one of those people who has been known to comment "score" whenever we run over a squirrel (just the common grey variety, we don't have any fancy ones like @JolietJake).
@JudyEv bunnies have lots of tunnels you likely only stunk up one of their many many entrances and they will just go out another one and nibble on your garden some more
@shaggin That's true but tipping down the waste made us feel better.
@JudyEv my puppy just loves eating the droppings ick! The other day she found a huge clumped together piece and ran off with it. I think it might have been deer droppings. I didn’t want to pry her mouth open and touch it so I tipped her down until she dropped it out of her mouth
I couldn’t do that we have a well and I would worry it would seep into my water and make me sick.
Fair enough. In our case it's only a few pints and it soaked into the ground within seconds.
@JudyEv Where I live it’s likely things from the road could contaminate the well I need to look into having my well tested. Where I live people are usually surprised I have a well. My grandmother was dying from the effect of town chlorinated water on her ba kidneys so my grandfather had a well drilled.
@shaggin We have a well too although we call it a bore. There is nothing to see above ground apart from a pump and a pipe going into the grounds.
I guess it was payback time Judy. You showed them.
It won't make much difference to them.
@JudyEv Judy, it will not bother them when you that?
@Hannihar I guess they won't like the smell but it isn't a lot of liquid and it just soaks into the ground almost immediately. It just made me feel better to do it.
Well, you did kill two birds with one stone. Were there rabbits in that hole at the time? If there were, poor bunny rabbits.
It would have soaked into the earth within a few feet so they weren't really in danger of getting soaked. Hopefully they wouldn't like the smell but once that dissipates they'll be carrying on as normal. Just a little hiccup in their bunny lives.
@JudyEv Well, bunny life has to be a bit boring, so a hiccup was a nice change of pace.
@tzwrites (3820)
@JudyEv It probably inconvenienced them a bit but they are clever little animals, they'll go elsewhere.
Well who don't love fluffy bunnies ?! :D
They are certainly cute. I like the ones with long ears.
@JudyEv My favourites are Lionhead ?? ??