Let's talk about shopping....

When shopping do you prefer the self self-checkout lane or do you prefer a cashier and why? I always go to the cashier. I never use the self checkouts because to me they are taking a job away from somebody and we need the jobs with the unemployment rate as high as it it. I also figure why should I do all the work of scanning my stuff and bagging it and pay the same price. Shouldn't I get a discount for doing all the work?
Stores are slowly forcing people to self checkout.
@EddieHands (32998)
those stores can burn in hell.. they will lose my service. .for being such heathens!
Yes they are and i think it is terrible
I wonder if stores will ever get to a point where all that will remain is self checkout lanes. It might save them a great deal of money as they won't have to hire cashiers anymore. But then it takes jobs away from people who need it. And that's not a good thing.
@1creekgirl (8730)
I hate the self checkouts. I always end up needing someone's help and it takes me twice as long.
@Fleura (6199)
Me too, they drive me mad! Using one makes me so angry it spoils my entire day!
@Fleura It makes me feel incompetent.
I agree. The few times I did try it there were always items that wouldnt scan and then you have to wait for helo anyway.
I would use self check out in a min. I like getting out of the store faster. There is always someone on the line for the cashier.
@Fleura (6199)
That's because we hate the self-check machines!
I would rather wait for the cashier
I've always thought that too . . . why aren't I getting some kind of discount for doing it myself. I guess they say they can keep store prices lower by folks using self checkout - but I don't know about that. There are employees around looking over our shoulders anyway. The only times I've gone through self checkout is when the regular lines were super long . . . otherwise I prefer going to a cashier . . . shopping in and out without any hassles!
@Fleura (6199)
I hate those self-check machines with a passion. If it gets to the point where there are no cashiers then I will just have to go to a different shop, I hate them so much!
@Fleura I should have mentioned too that I will only bother going to the self checkout if I have a few items that are no hassle items. At the grocery store, I don't want to have to weigh my produce or look up item numbers and such . . . I know a cashier can do it way faster than I ever could. Overall, it feels "clumsy" and also I feel pressured to hurry up if there are more people waiting to use the self checkout.
@Fleura (6199)
@much2say Those machines hate me as much as I hate them. They always claim I have an 'unexpected item in the bagging area' or tell me to scan things again or put them down in a different place or whatever. It always ends up with a staff member standing beside me putting in their control key to over-ride every step of the way. I tried a couple of times, then I thought perhaps the problems occurred when I had a reduced item or something, but no, they just set out to be patronising and treat me like an idiot. Trying to use one makes me so mad it spoils my entire day, I swear I will never use ne ever again, even if I live to be 100!
I have never used the self-checkout either. I always use the cashier. I like the idea of chatting with a real person.
I do too. It makes for a more enjoyable experience.
I agree. I don't use self-checkout unless I have no choice in the matter. Before 7 AM there aren't any cashiers available. I try to get there after 7 so there are at least two cashiers available at Wal-Mart.
That is good. I would do the same thing.
I have the same reason as you, they took someone's job away and that thought kills me!
Exactly people need those jobs
@Happy2BeMe Yes they do! Too many people need work so bad and can't find it. So sad.
@LovingMyBabies yes it is the same way here
@Diamond55 (122)
Here in South Africa we only have cashiers.
@Fleura (6199)
Make the most of it - before you get 'unexpected item in bagging area'!
That is great. Wish more places were like that.
@Scrapper88 (1224)
I like to use a cashier. If something goes wrong with the machine; they can call somebody over to help out.
That is true.
• Riga, Latvia
My nearest stores here in the suburbs have no instant check outs but even if they did I always prefer the cashiers.
That is good that they have cashiers
@LoriAMoore (9987)
I don't do self check-out. I prefer a cashier. Old fashioned I guess.
And its a good way to be
I agree with you. I don’t do self-checkout
@EddieHands (32998)
it is a living hell
@EddieHands I don't think that but I don't want to put people who need the cashier jobs out of a job
@EddieHands (32998)
@NJChicaa well that is a good point! and very kind of you! yes those people need their jobs. Plus some of them are very nice. and it's nice seeing a real human when you shop.. instead of just a lifeless computer
@Dyvette16 (1386)
• San Antonio, Texas
When I just have a little bit of items I go to the self check out but other than that I use the regular register , it is easier
I think it is too. I go to the speedy cashes when I have a few items
@Dyvette16 (1386)
• San Antonio, Texas
@Happy2BeMe yes it saves time
For the same reasons as you, we always use a 'person' checkout.
That is great
@Fleura (6199)
I always go to a cashier too. I have tried the self-checkout machines but they are so maddening with their stupid instructions that using one not only makes a simple shopping trip much more difficult, it actually spoils my entire day! In fact just writing about them makes me angry!
I feel the same way
@vandana7 (57493)
It works out the same actually. You walk towards self checkout, then some jobs are lost, the organization makes profit, it starts another store, new jobs are created. Unemployment can be reduced by creating jobs or reducing the number of mouths to feed.
There is one person working the self checkout area that has about 10 machines. That is 10 cashiers out of a job.
Those are good points. And i have thought of that myself, but we still do selfcheckout because we're faster than most cashiers / baggers.
They can be depending on how busy the store is
@Happy2BeMe yeah but most around here are slow.
• Derby, England
I always use a cashier for big shops but will use the self serve checkout if I only have a few items. It would be too much like hard work to self check out a big shop
Yes it would be.
@peachpurple (10991)
there isn't any self checkout here, only cashiers
That is good. I lke hearing that.
@Raelove (15514)
• Saco, Maine
I tried the self ones at Walmart awhile back, had to ask for help, and that proved to be too much hassle. So I went over to a cashier. I ran into a problem because I had my own bag and wasn't using one from the store. The machine shut down because it didn't "recognize" my bag. The cashier came over and said, "Oh, you didn't push this button." Well, how was I supposed to know that? That was the end of my career as a "self cashier."
Ya it is a bit ridiculous. I would rather just go to the cashier
@Raelove (15514)
• Saco, Maine
@Happy2BeMe Oh me, too. Even if the line is long, I don't care.