Just call me, "Grace"!

@CoralLevang (40639)
I woke up to the sound of the garbage trucks coming down the streets. I had every intention of getting up early to take both the garbage and recycling bins to the curb before they arrived. I failed to set my alarm early enough. I threw on a sweatshirt over my light pajamas, slipped my feet into a pair of harder-soled slippers, and went into the kitchen for the bag of trash and recycling. Out the front door I hurried, only to realize one of the trucks had been through; I think it was the trash truck. In my not-so-awake state, I dumped my recycle into the trash receptacle. Ugh! It was going to be one of THOSE mornings! For a moment, I contemplated digging the recyclables out of the trash first, but decided against it. I still had a recycle bin that was half-full, so I decided to bring it to the curb. The quickest route is to to down the front lawn. So, I rolled the bin onto the grass and started down the small decline toward the curb. I felt my feet slip out from under me. I tried to catch my balance, but to no avail. What I did manage to do was fall in a way that tucked my feet behind me, then fall backward on my butt, with my ankles and feet under it. This all happened whilst the forward momentum was taking me down "the hill." I continued to slide down (what I now know was icy frost on the grass), scraping the exposed top of my foot/ankle. The recycle bin continued its race with me to the sidewalk and curb. It fell and landed forward. Thankfully, the contents did not spill. When everything came to a stop, I felt the pain on my ankle. I also realized that I had fallen because it was cold enough to be icy. I was still in that stunned state-of-mind and sat there for a minute assessing the damage. I noticed that two neighbors were outside, one from next door, and the other across the street. If they noticed, they did not come over, nor ask if I needed assistance/were okay. Secretly, I wanted them to do so, but was glad that I did not have the added embarrassment. I stood up on my feet, righted the recycle bin, and limped my way back up the icy grass to my townhouse. I cleaned up the abrasion, and soothed it with a bit of antibiotic salve. Now, it is an hour-and-a-half later. I sit with my cup of ginger and lemon tea, and feel many of my muscles starting to remind me that my 62-year-old body does not contort as easily as it did at 6 years-of-age. I am sure that I will feel the effects in full-bloom tomorrow, though my ankle is already sore, as are the muscles in my back. We will not talk about my red-faced pride. Throughout my life, I have had those moments where I have been a bit of a klutz (clumsy person). Gracefulness has never been one of my physical attributes. On more than one occasion when I trip, friends have teased me by calling me, "Grace." I hope that my neighbors won't follow suit! A few minutes ago, I heard the other truck come through. I only hope that I chose the proper of the two bins. I really do not need to add insult to the injury! Have YOU ever had one of THESE mornings? Photo credit: Pixabay, Public domain
Talk about a rough and tumble start to the day.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Not any fun, that is for certain!
@CoralLevang Too bad it wasn't caught on camera. Oh the hits on YouTubes!
@CoralLevang (40639)
@JohnRoberts Oh, hush up! LOL
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Isn't your friend still visiting?
@CoralLevang (40639)
I shared last night that she was gone. She should be back in Australia in a couple of hours. And then she will have another three hour flight from Brisbane to Adelaide.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@CoralLevang I didn't know she wasn't staying that long. Did you guys have a good trip?
@CoralLevang (40639)
@thislittlepennyearns She arrived last Wednesday; she left yesterday. It was a pleasant visit.
@sishy7 (27210)
Oh, sorry to hear what happened... Maybe just stick to taking them out the night before? I hope you won't be too sore from the fall...
@CoralLevang (40639)
I usually do it the night before. LOL If my friend were still here, I would have had her bring them down for me. last night. LOL She should be arriving in Brisbane in the next hour or so; then she is on her way home to Adelaide.
@sishy7 (27210)
@CoralLevang Long flights she's been on...
@CoralLevang (40639)
@sishy7 I remember the flights to Guam, and that was tough. I can only imagine the flight to Australia.
What a morning - but I'm glad you didn't get any more hurt than you did! Our landings from falls aren't quite the way they were when we were kids . I do have a friend named Grace . . . and as a child, grace she had not (foul mouth, always rebellious, etc). As kids we all joked her parents named her incorrectly and we all still think that .
@CoralLevang (40639)
*laughs* sounds like me. LOL
Wow, I hope you are alright. I've always tripped over nothing, and pretend jokingly that there was a rock there.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Haha haha! That's my line!
My morning wasn't quite as bad a start as yours but so far it hasn't been one of the best starts to my day. Glad you were seriously hurt and didn't break a hip, leg or arm. You were lucky
@CoralLevang (40639)
My ankle I twisted is the one I injured back in 2005. I I hope it isn't too bad, but I can barely stand on it four hours later. It isn't swollen, however. I do think I am lucky. Yes.
I´m so sorry, Coral. My friends here are a lot better than me in that respect although they are older. I am better in other ways though. They have the tendency of saying how things should be done. I keep quiet and don´t tell them that this is MY house. It makes me secretly happy that I although I am clumsy as feet and legs go, I´m better in other senses, in spite of the many cells that have disappeared with the cancer treatment. Being clumsy is not the worst that can happy to us.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Perhaps! I'm already feeling my muscles tighten up. And my ankle that I twisted is the one that I sprained so badly a decade ago. LOL I am going to take it easy today.
@CoralLevang I just bought one of those bags that you either place in the freezer (the first day) or you heat from the second day on.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@marguicha I will pull out some frozen something for an ice pack soon.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
A few years ago.....I was walking our dog. Early. There had been a dusting of snow so those nasty ice patches weren't visible. Of course at the most distant point I encountered one of those ice patches...one foot went one way..the other went the other way....I knew immediately...this wasn't good. I limped my way home (no witnesses, mercifully) and then realized I could. To reach my feet to remove my boots. I could not sit down... Apparently I had torn a hamstring. If embarrassment wasn't humiliating enough...now I had months of recovery.
@CoralLevang (40639)
I hate those times. We'll see if I re-injured the ankle I sprained years ago. I should know something more tomorrow.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
@CoralLevang I hope to rad tomorrow that it was just a superficial injury and that life is good again.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@Morleyhunt thank you so much. I'm heading into the shower now to try and use some heat on my sore muscles.
Those were some good stunts this morning Grace! I also bet that bed head was admirable. I do hope you did not break any of those old bones. Live and learn. Take the trash can out to the curb the day before they run, problem solved. Oh and I am not making fun of you Grace, I figured the other nine people below this comment gave you enough pity, plus I just played this port out in my head and I did have to laugh, Imagining you in your jammies and your hair all a mess, dumping recycled in the trash.... Like a three stooges show.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Gee, thanks! LOL You know what they say about paybacks, don't you? ;-) LOL
@CoralLevang And that is why I shall not share my blonde days . Okay I will do one. A couple days ago I had a million things to do and after cleaning and cooking and cleaning the kitchen again I did something I do not recall doing. A FEW days later Tony said " what the hell?" and I went to look, I had put a bowl of cabbage in the cabinet, stacked right on top with the rest of the snapware containers. my oldness is shining through.
@CoralLevang (40639)
@andriaperry oh my goodness! That's what I would have turned around and told him I was trying to make sauerkraut!
@vandana7 (57466)
Aw...hugs...Love...I have all the time. My solution to it is MUSIC. Somehow that darned thing always puts me in good mood.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Somehow...I don't that music would have helped me! Unless, of course, you were recording my fall and setting it to music! LOL
@vandana7 (57466)
@CoralLevang .. I don't know but music has always been like a Tylenol for me. That muse could be my patron saint. lol
@Platespinner (18472)
I have mornings like that quite regularly. I've learned that rushing to take care of ANYTHING never ends well. I hope the ankle feels better!
@CoralLevang (40639)
It's screaming and bruised right now, 14 hours later. I'm sure that tomorrow will be the worst of it.
I was always getting hurt as a kid and breaking everything I touched. I hope you aren't in to much pain tomorrow! I find it so embarassing to fall in front of someone so maybe its good they didn't see you. My driveway gets a sheet of ice in the winter I an not looking forward to having to walk across it.
@CoralLevang (40639)
I am hoping that all this was just an embarrassing moment. LOL I also hope your driveway isn't too bad this winter.
• Riga, Latvia
Oh in my years there have been many such odd mornings. Glad you weren't hurt too badly and hope your ankle feels much better soon.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Thank you, Rasma!
So glad you did not suffer a break. Yep, I have slipped and fallen many times. So far, not breaks.
@CoralLevang (40639)
I am finding myself having some issues with balance lately. I need to be more careful.
Oh goodness. Hope the aches don't last too long. Rest and ice up.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Will try.
@sugartoes (34627)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I don't mean to laugh but I've done the same thing as well so I agree with you on this-- my 62-year-old body does not contort as easily as it did at 6 years-of-age. I'm 59 & when I fall everything kicks in from it depending on how I fell so I try to not fall but we all do at times. So all I can say is try to be more careful when you going outside so you don't get hurt & embarrassed or better yet take the trash out the day B-4.
@CoralLevang (40639)
Usually I do take it out the night before. LOL
@Diamond55 (124)
I hope you all good
@CoralLevang (40639)
Thank you.