Trump didn't 'make' Jerusalem the capital of Israel

By JJ
Jerusalem has been the capital of Israel for many years according to Israel (On 5 December 1949, Israel's first Prime Minister, David Ben-Gurion, proclaimed Jerusalem as Israel's "eternal" and "sacred" capital - Wiki). All Trump really did was recognize Israel's claim. Of course, the sticky point is Palestine also says Jerusalem is the capital of Palestine. The U.N. doesn't seem to recognize either country's claim. As far as moving the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv, "In 1995, the United States Congress passed the Jerusalem Embassy Act, which required, subject to conditions, that its embassy be moved from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem" - Wiki. Doesn't really seem to be anything Trump actually did/decided.
@kobesbuddy (19399)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Trump is looking for any way possible, to put a 'golden crown' on top of his head! He didn't do anything, Trump made another heroic, appearance, to show the world how wonderful he is
I think since Israel actually controls it, there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to claim it otherwise.
@kobesbuddy (19399)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake Absolutely! If it's officially the capital of Israel, the issue should be dropped, period
He just followed through.
Yep
@kobesbuddy (19399)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake King Donnie!
@LeaPea2417 (15250)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am glad Trump recognizes it.
I'm not pro-Trump, but I'm not gonna make any Trump jokes here...though with the levels of sarcasm racing in my blood, it is hard
@Madshadi (4584)
• Brussels, Belgium
What some people may not consider is how that recognition will effect the already discriminated groups who are native to Jerusalem. Since 1967 and based on Israeli documents about quarter million Palestinians were denied residency rights. Not to mention other types of ill-treatment that could go as far to be classified as apartheid. Why should anyone encourage such country to do more?
@irishidid (8134)
Considering there's no such place as Palestine you can't have a capital in an imaginary land.
I think the Palestinians might disagree though
Your right JJ He makes it sounds like a big deal.Gosh I cannot stand that man.
@Madshadi (4584)
• Brussels, Belgium
Recognition under international law is much more than just that. Israel conquered Jerusalem through war and the international law (set of treaties and international agreements) doesn’t recognise sovereignty over territories acquired through war. That is why no country recognised Israeli sovereignty over any of the 1967 conquered territories. And therefore the term “occupation” applies. But if one country recognised any of those territories as Israel’s proper then under the international law Israel is entitled to it, even for territories acquired through illegal means. The same happened when Jerusalem came under Jordanian rule in 1948 and Britain recognised their annexation of the city. So what Trump did was much more than what you described. He’s recognition gave the Israeli illegal claims to the city international legitimacy. He should have left it alone and kept US neutral on a territory that the UN and the entire international community regard as disputed.
international law (set of treaties and international agreements) doesn’t recognise sovereignty over territories acquired through war Um...then a whole lot of territories need to be changed, because most of the world was 'acquired' that way
@Madshadi (4584)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JolietJake ...unless territories were recognised by at least one country. That is enough to give them the sovereignty status. Most of the world countries today have defined borders that are internationally recognised.
@Madshadi Russia had already recognized it from what I hear.
@topffer (30532)
• France
And what is good in this decision is that Trump is satisfying the two only countries in the world where he has more than 50% people favorable to him, Israel and Russia, which is also favorable to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of both Israel and Palestine (it was already the capital of both Israel and Jordan in the 1950's/1960's, so why not ?) Great politician.
President Trump and many of his key policies are broadly unpopular around the globe, and ratings for the U.S. have declined steeply in many nations.
I'm gonna recognize Olney Illinois as the capital of France...think I'll get any publicity out of it?
@topffer (30532)
• France
@JolietJake We have to speak about that : have you enough space for the Eiffel Tower, the Elysée Palace and the castle of Versailles ? I remember an interview of a Swiss humorist, Topor, who was saying that Switzerland was the most democratic country in the world, because it is the only country that its citizens can decide to sell with a simple referendum. The journalist asked him : and where the Swiss would go if they were selling Switzerland ? He responded that they would have enough money to buy several islands in the Pacific Ocean. Thinking at it I would prefer Hawai to Olney for capital if you do not mind ?
@topffer But White Squirrels man!
I didn't get why people were attacking that. I was so confused I looked it up to make sure I hadn't lost my mind. I know this is just another thing for people to attack him on. I wish they would stick to the actual things he does wrong. This is not one of them. It's also insulting to Isreal, and I think they have had enough disrespect.
@Morleyhunt (16545)
Apparently I didn't pay enough attention. I missed this moment in history.
• Riga, Latvia
One always follows the other like in a conga line.
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
It is nothing really under law, but the one step closer to right wing of Israel trying to get rid of the Palestinian brother and sisters. No poor folk, especially if they not true Israelite's. kind of how America does with their poor folk they do not like.