The willow-pattern story

@Fleura (6225)
United Kingdom
The other day I was reading to the girls from a book with a selection of stories from around the world. One of the stories was ‘The willow-pattern story’, describing the story which is supposedly the origin of the picture on these familiar plates. But as I was reading it I realised that to most children nowadays, these plates are not familiar at all. We still have some in the cupboard, but I haven’t seen any in the shops for years. Apparently they originated around the late 18th century when ‘chinoiserie’ was very fashionable, but the design is created from various elements of Chinese art and did not originate in China at all. Neither did the story which, instead of inspiring the pattern, originated afterwards (first published in 1849, according to Wikipedia) as an early marketing ploy. Do you have any willow pattern plates? Do you know the story? All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2017.
• Riga, Latvia
I don't know that story but I do like these plates. Just looked and they have them on eBay so I guess people are still interested in them.
Find great deals on eBay for Willow Pattern Plates in Willow Patter Ware Pottery. Shop with confidence.
@sishy7 (27365)
I did not know it wasn't originated from China... I have some, they were given to me by an elderly Chinese lady we met years ago...
@Fleura (6225)
I didn't either, until I looked for the origin of the story!
@rina110383 (23472)
Yes, my mom has some. Mostly for display.
I don't think that we have any of those. It is very pretty.
@Scrapper88 (1226)
I have a few of these plates.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
My gran had a few but I think they went to one of my Aunts, they are pretty.
@Fleura (6225)
I think a lot of children liked the thought that there was a story behind the picture.
No, but Mumsy does. I'd completely forgotten about that story. I'm sure we looked at it in primary school.
@Fleura (6225)
It was when the story-book said 'this is the story behind the familiar plates' that I realised they are no longer familiar!
I don't have any but I know a couple of people who collect it.
@Morleyhunt (16757)
We had cups and saucers in the blue willow pattern. I remember hearing/reading the story. I don't remember the story.
• Derby, England
I don't own any but know the story well. It is a sad story I think !
Yes I own many of this pattern. I still buy them at the antique shops.
I do not, but I do believe my grandmother did. I seem to remember seeing a few in her kitchen cabinets. I did not know the story behind these plates.