Roy Orbison Hologram and new album

@FayeHazel (11791)
Even though he passed away 29 years ago, yesterday the legendary Roy Orbison has a new album coming out entitled "A Love So Beautiful" which is Orbison's stellar voice along with new instrumentals recorded by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I think combining Roy's music with the orchestra was a great idea. Orbison had an operatic quality to his voice and was sometimes called "The Caruso of Rock" on account of it. However it bothers me, somewhat. The man, himself -- will never hear the finished product. He will never approve or disapprove of it. That thought makes me sad and sort of bothers me. The same with the Roy Orbison hologram tour that will be happening in the United Kingdom. I guess this is the closest that anyone will get to see him perform, anymore. But, we all know it is a hologram, and I would assume - recorded music. People have said that Roy was , even more impressive on stage, that there was another level to his voice that the recordings just didn't capture. Of course it is an impossibility to see Roy himself perform anymore, but... I just don't know how I feel about the hologram. It isn't Roy. Its a likeness of him. On the other hand, sometimes when you're at a club or bar and they are playing recorded music - it can sound so much better than your home stereo. So maybe there is a state of the art sound system involved too? Anyway, I am sure this will re-introduce his music to thousands of people, and that's a good thing. I didn't have the same mixed feelings about "The Way Is Love" - which is a song he recorded only once on a home cassette tape. His sons found it - and were able to work with it digitally and record themselves with their dad, which had been a life long goal, a bittersweet one at that. I know Roy never got to hear that one either in it's finished form - but maybe he is listening to it from another existence.
The album mixes Orbison’s best vocal performances, including “Oh, Pretty Woman” and “Crying,” with the world-class musicianship of the Royal Philharmonic.
I would not go to one of those concerts. I do love his music though and I can listen to it at home.
@FayeHazel (11791)
True, the hologram sort of freaks me out
The concert sounds like a money-making venture for the organisers. I wouldn't go. Vince saw Roy Orbison live in Perth, Western Australia and he was the lead-up to Bob Dylan. When Roy finished his bracket the crowd didn't want him to go and in the end they just brought Dylan on and then the mob settled down.
That's exactly how I feel. It's a money-making venture and nothing else. I don't like tribute acts either, but this is even worse. I would have loved to have seen him live, but I won't go to see this bizarre stage show. It's just weird.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Oh seriously? Lucky Vince. I'm jealous! I guess Roy was quite fond of Australia and Australia of him... I've heard it said that Roy's voice was especially moving in person. I can only imagine that...
@FayeHazel It was probably about 1966.
A hologram performance sounds weird and eerie.
My sentiments exactly.
He really had a one of a kind voice, and this just enhanced it.
@FayeHazel (11791)
So unique from is flawless range to the content he sung
@FourWalls (10011)
I’ll just pop in the DVD of that incredible Roy Orbison in Concert: A black and White Night instead. At least Roy got money from that.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ooo, "Black and White Night" that was magical right there.
@dgobucks226 (6768)
Roy Orbison always fascinated me not just his voice but his persona as well. I read on Wikipedia that he was very shy and suffered from severe stage fright; and wearing sunglasses helped him hide somewhat from the attention. The ever-present sunglasses led me to believe he was blind. The black clothes and desperation in his songs also lent a kind of mystery to the man. I would have to agree that you can't make the past become the present again. I would rather have the fond memories!
@FayeHazel (11791)
So happy to know I'm not alone in the fascination. I too am captivated by the man. He's fascinating. Who would have thought that a man with such great talent would be touched by stage fright. Apparently he wasn't particularly morose - but the all black mystery man persona worked out for him pretty well. I love listening to him in the dark adds a whole new feeling to his songs
@FayeHazel I will have to try that out! Whenever I hear Pretty Woman or Only The Lonely it leaves me speechless as to the man's talent. And there are so many other songs I could mention. I really enjoyed the live tribute to Roy years ago. Amazing how many music stars came out to be with him onstage and celebrate his greatness.
@FayeHazel (11791)
@dgobucks226 "Only the lonely" is so very moving... and "Blue Bayou" ... actually I recently got into some of his newer songs "Drove All Night", "You Got It", "Mystery Girl" -- it makes me wonder what else he would have done. :-( Though I am quite happy that he had a come back / knew people loved his talent.
Music is the thing which... Keeps away loniness I m loving ti listen music.. When I m alone.
@FayeHazel (11791)
So true. Music makes us feel like someone else understands us. What sorts of music do you like?
@FayeHazel My favrouite song is Attention,mostly sad songs i like to listen.
@FayeHazel (11791)
@Surock786 Who sings "Attention" I don't think I've heard of it
@bluesa (12838)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Wouldn't it be wonderful if he was listening to it from another existence... :) . If I want to hear him sing though I will stick to cds. Not comfortable with the hologram business either.
@FayeHazel (11791)
I do like to think of him looking on from another plane , hopefully being pleased that so many still love his music
@bluesa (12838)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@FayeHazel yes, it is a nice thought.
As long as record companies can profit, posthumous releases are not going away anytime soon.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ah yes... there is always that
• Lakewood, Colorado
I adored Roy but I am afraid I would not go to this concert.
@FayeHazel (11791)
The curiosity would get to me, to see what it's like, but I agree
Roy Orbison was awesome.
@FayeHazel (11791)
He was magnificent --- and seemed like a truly humble person too. Rare.
• Riga, Latvia
My faith tells me that Orbison will know all about it and is terribly glad he is remembered and so honored. Thanks for sharing I just love his singing style.
@FayeHazel (11791)
He was so humble and flattered to be popular in real life. I think you're right. I think there is a beyond and that he (others too) are watching
He had an amazing voice and I loved a few of his songs. It is sad he will never get to hear this album but it is cool it could introduce people to his music now who would not be aware of him otherwise.
@FayeHazel (11791)
True! A both ways way to look at it. Such an otherworldly voice, this whole thing makes me sad I will never see the real him