Hallelujah! - Jesus And The Adman by Rhidian Brook

advertising
Denmark
In the early days, advertising was seen mainly as a threat to which everybody was exposed and could do nothing about. Although the essence of advertising hasn’t changed, i.e., to make people spend money they probably don’t have on products they mostly don’t need by associating them with promises that will hardly be fulfilled, its image has radically changed over the years. People aren’t afraid of being manipulated any more. Advertising has become a lifestyle thing and successful admen an envied species. Johnny Yell, 29, is a good copywriter working in the most prestigious advertising agency of the country. But he hasn’t reached the top rank yet. He’s ambitious and doesn’t mind cheating on his partner when he sees that the latter has come up with something brilliant. He knows that ‘without ideas an adman is a dead man.’ The chance for his breakthrough comes when LifeGen, a life insurance agency, asks Johnny’s firm to come up with a nationwide poster campaign. While the campaign is still at its embryonic stage, Johnny’s father dies. After the funeral he wanders back into the church where he sees a picture of a smiling Jesus which fascinates him at once despite his being a non-believer. “This Jesus looked like a man who had gone to the other side and come back, and the knowledge of that great secret could be detected in his smile like an excellent joke he could hardly wait to share.” Johnny can hardly wait to share his idea with his boss to use this painting for the poster campaign for LifeGen together with the slogan ‘For Life after Death, talk to LifeGen‘. He‘s the first to hand in something, and as his idea is really an attention-grabber, his boss gives him the thumbs up. The campaign is extremely successful. Johnny wins a prize and is promoted which means loads of money and a smashing company car. But then things change dramatically. Johnny has a breakdown as the themes he’s played with so flippantly for his campaign start getting to him. What IS on the other side? What HAS Jesus seen? I felt a bit cheated. The book started out funny. I thought it would go on like this. I enjoyed everything related to the advertising topic. But then the author leads us into a serious story about conscience v. commercialism including the question of the Divine, all the while keeping up a light-handed tone. I’ve realised that I’m not the right audience for this. The main part of the novel deals with Johnny’s attempt to come to terms with life after he’s glimpsed that there might be more to it than concocting slogans, rhyming and punning. It’s a one-plot, one-idea novel, a quick read, only 194 pages. Recommend as reading matter for a train ride. Maybe also a good present for religiously minded relatives and friends. --- Pic: pixabay
@pgntwo (21738)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I'll stick with Christopher Moore's "Lamb: The gospel according to Biff, Jesus's childhood pal." for kicks, thanks.
• Denmark
I'll check this out. Is that a Monty Python kind of thing?
@pgntwo (21738)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@MALUSE No, it is by an American author, and if you know any New Testament stories, you'll recognise some of this...
• Denmark
This review doesn't whet my appetite.
Amazon.co.uk Try Prime All Select the department you want to search in All Departments Alexa Skills Amazon Global Store Amazon Pantry Amazon Video Amazon Warehouse Deals Apps & Games Baby Beauty Books Car & Motorbike CDs & Vinyl Classical Music Clothing Co
Books make good gifts. It can be hard to find a good comedy.
Poor Johnny. He was on a roll, and then he becomes far too deep in thought. I would prefer a book that starts out funny and stays funny until the very end. I would have to find some "religiously-minded" folks for this book, and I think I might not like this one much at all.
Who'd need to read it after reading this excellent precis?
• Denmark
Oh, thank you. I feel my belly tickled! :-)
@miketagz (1329)
Nice Article and thanks for sharing. God Bless
• Denmark
This 'article' is a book review.
@yugocean (4607)
This is new one or a manipulated copy of old one? I am reading this, and it more seems like a short novel. But not clear about storyline.
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds interesting and unusual. Will check it out. The one serious meaning book I have read in reference to the Bible is the Book on the Bible and found it interesting to read that Noah was the first person to get really drunk because he grew grapes and they fermented in the sun and he didn't realize that when he ate them he would get tipsy and so forth and so on through everything.
Thank you for this great and detailed review. A book with an interesting plot with an unexpected ending. A good book to read while I wait my husband in the hospital during his weekly physiotherapy session.
I like stories where people realize money isn't the answer. Really good review.
• Midland, Michigan
Hmm, interesting story line for someone questioning what he believes. I was confused at first not realizing this was a review. I've not heard of this author before. Maybe if I run into it somewhere I'll consider buying it, but I probably won't go out of my way to shop for it. Part of that is due to me needing to get bookkeeping done in the next few months. I already have a workbook borrowed from someone at church that I have yet to open and a novel for young adults that I'm supposed to be doing a review on after I read it again.
Sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for the review.
@Platespinner (18563)
I suspect that I would have the same reaction you did! Thanks for sharing your opinion of the book!
@Morleyhunt (16729)
Your review doesn't make me want to read this book. The premise doesn't entice me.
I might enjoy the debate between conscience b. commercialism and I do appreciate your honest evaluation of the plot which slightly interests me so I may read this . . .