What a Concept!

Yesterday in the out patient day surgery department both my husband as well as myself got our instructions. Yes, he did too! When I registered he was given a tracking number for me. It made me feel like a package. We began in the out patient day surgery department, and when I was wheeled to the OR, he was escorted to the first stop along the way. He had to register with the volunteer in the OR waiting room. She explained that there were 4 monitors in various areas of the hospital that would allow him to track my progress. And each time that I moved from 1 department to another, the colour of underline under my number on the screen would change. It kept him on his toes, and it was quite a smart concept. Of course it didn't stop me from asking for him in the recovery department-which I knew fully well they couldn't bring him in, but the alternative, was changing my status, which they were able to do! And they scan your bracelet every time you move, just like a box on the line.
*mental image of long conveyor belt with patients on it*
pretty much......such a warm comforting feeling when your gov't handles the healthcare isn't it?
That is quite the process but makes it easier for the family members to know what is going on and they keep track of where you are at, at all times. When I had my surgery they brought my fiance into the recovery room for a minute. I barely remember him being there but they said it was a comfort for me to know he was there as soon as I woke up if only for a few minutes.
I just made it known to the recovery nurse that I wanted my husband, and after I asked for the bathroom, she knew that I new the routine to get out of that department and she sent me along my way.
They do that here too. Always nice to be on one's toes when a friend or family member is having a procedure. I enjoy the coffee and pastries provided while waiting as I keep an eye on the pager they give me and the monitor.
You're hospitals sound like they offer more then ours do. We get a card with a number on that you check the patient's status, there are no pagers, no coffee and pastries unless you go to the cafeteria and buy them. With the timing of my procedure, my husband had to slip to the cafeteria for his lunch.
@Juliaacv They really do a great job at making those waiting well-informed and comfortable at all times.
@Platespinner (16530)
Hopefully the system keeps them from making mistakes.
From making mistakes and also for preserving everyone's confidentiality.
I know we feel like postal parcels, but it's a good system to keep track of where the patient is.
It does maintain confidentiality.
@Juliaacv Absolutely and this is something we appreciate.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
Last time I was I. The hospital for some outpatient treatment (last December) I felt that it was so impersonal...I could not even let them know I was there until I went to the machine (that wasn't working properly) get a number (like at a meat counter) there was no one else in line....the instant the number was in my hand...they called #?. I wasn't impressed.
The hospital in the town near where we used to live used that same system. It wasn't very effective in maintaining confidentiality. London has it nailed down, they show you a paper with your signature on it and they ask if that is your signature, name and DOB. You do not repeat it, nor do they. I appreciated that.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
@Juliaacv this was a new...state of the art...hospital.
At least he knew what was going on every step of the way. They give out the beepers here to whoever comes with the patient just in case someone goes to the cafeteria, etc. At least that's what they used to do a couple years ago.
They actually had a monitor that he could track me on in the cafeteria, because as soon as they moved me to the OR he had to go and get lunch so that he was upstairs for when I finished.
Better an over-organised hospital like this than one in which the patients are neglected.
Agreed.
@sallypup (26260)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your description reminds me of the times I have been in the airport, waiting for my plane to arrive. I hope you are doing well today.
Thanks, I do feel better today, but I have a long ways to go.
@sallypup (26260)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Juliaacv I'm glad that you are at least better.
@sallypup Thank you.
@peachpurple (12355)
Hope that everything went well today
It was actually yesterday, but yes, it went well. Now I am resting and rehydrating.
@peachpurple (12355)
@Juliaacv good to hear that
That's neat and a good way for family members to know what's going on without having to ask everyone that comes into the waiting room like we have had to do in the past.
This is a teaching hospital, and there are a lot of staff, but they are there learning and instructing not running errands to go see how so-and-so is.
@Juliaacv Yeah, that's a great new idea! I wish they would do it everywhere.
Oh wow. I wonder if our hospital does that too
It helped take the strain off of wondering for him.
@Juliaacv oh I'm sure!
That is quite a concept but I think it's less stressful for a family member when they can track the patients progress. I had to laugh though when you said you felt like a package. Now we all know how our packages feel through the shipping process
And the nurses kept on scanning my bracelet-it was so strange, especially at this time of the year.
That sounds so futuristic
Scanning a barcode on your bracelet is futuristic and quite effective.
Sounds helpful. And frees staff up from constant questions
That's right, and they are always complaining about how short staffed they are to begin with.
Yes they do that here as well, I have watche the screen many times when I would be with Tony or someone else getting surgery, now that I hink about it, it is like a package
At least you weren't delivered back to him in a cardboard box with stamps all over it.
@PatZAnthony (12344)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Life has really changed hasn't it?