It's not MY responsibility!

Or is it? Seems I saw a spot in the Guidelines saying we should report things we see that violate the guidelines. In my view, that would make it our responsibility. But we are also responsible to use it responsibly. Which would mean if it doesn't violate the guidelines, we shouldn't report it just because we don't like it, or the opinion of it, or how it was written, or whatever. It does say: "What should I do if I see a violation of these guidelines?" Simply hover over the offending content and click on "Report" to bring it to a moderator's attention. That, to me, makes it our responsibility. But the key words are "a violation of these guidelines". I don't see anywhere that says "Report it if you don't like it". Yes, the users are responsible for how this site operates. Even if they don't want to accept that responsibility.
This is where you will find out what kinds of behavior are accepted and unaccepted on myLot. When in doubt, remember the Golden Rule!
When we see posts that we do not like we need to skip on, the reporting is only for violations of the guidelines. And we all share that responsibility. Its like neighbourhood watch for our site.
It is our responsibility to report things that go against the site, as you pointed out. It takes a village to keep a site going, especially one we all love!
I hope to help this site stay functional for many years to come. I realize some users really don't care one way or the other, but there are lots of us that have enjoyed it for years and hopefully will for many more.
@JolietJake I agree, so many of us LOVE being here!
@Tina30219 (34194)
• Onaway, Michigan
@JolietJake I as well hope it is around for a long time I would miss it if it was gone and all my friends here as well.
I saw a post by Admin yesterday or the day before talking about people reporting stuff they don’t like. WTF?!?! That’s as pathetic as deleting comments you don’t like or that “hurt your feelings”.
*hovers mouse over 'delete' link*
@1hopefulman (28435)
Good reminder of what the responsibility is and how to use it responsibly.
Even though a few users may disagree with the philosophy, all of us here are 'moderators' of a type...some just don't like the job.
@1hopefulman (28435)
@JolietJake It makes good sense that we all keep an eye on myLot so that it remains a good spot to hang out and enjoy!
@1hopefulman We take care of our family, naturally. MyLot is family.
It is a responsibility - just as much as we are responsible for our own conduct here. I'm sure the moderators or whomever can't always catch things . . . it's up to us to help them since we are the ones who are using this site . . . and that in turn helps us. Yes, report violations - not opinions.
I almost missed this, your response came in at the same time as another. If I was reporting opinions, I'd never have time for anything else because I disagree with lots of things.
@JolietJake You almost missed my response? Well I'm going to report you because I don't like that . Seriously. We are not little kids who tattle tale about every little thing. But we are adults that can see that it is in our best interest to protect our site - we all want this place to stick around, right?
@Morleyhunt (19750)
If I see a discussion I don't care for I quietly move on...no one will e,Ben know I peeked at the discussion. If it's in violation of the guidelines...I will report...if it's borderline I might give the offending Mylotter a nudge to read the guidelines. And then move on. It's the likes and comments on the offending, rule breaking posts that bother me.
@BarBaraPrz (19839)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
You get a lot of mileage out of this stuff, don't you? BTW, when's payday?
Sometime between today and next Friday
Just like @Juliaacv, I skip the posts that I do not like, I always report plagiarizers and spammers, I am guilty not to report all the discussions that "violate the guidelines" (example of what I never report: Excessive complaining, Using all-caps and excessive punctuation, Personal milestones, Discussions, responses or comments that offer little or no value, Spammy, inappropriate or irrelevant tagging). I wonder how many discussions a day would remain if all those listed as "not tolerated" would be reported and deleted.
@shivamani10 (11232)
• Hyderabad, India
It does not mean that we should report if we do not like it. You are right. It is only in the case of violation of guidelines we should as responsible persons should report.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
Reporting blatant violations such as plagiarism or spamming is important. If such behaviour was allowed to become prolific the site would develop a bad reputation.
Was that a successful test? It was gone before I could look.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake No it was a total failure. I was trying to copy a floating box from a website and paste it here.
@Asylum Some type of html thing?
@peachpurple (12875)
Did you ever report anyone?
Daily.
@peachpurple (12875)
@JolietJake wow, you are a good worker here
@sjvg1976 (18386)
I report posts or comments rarely. But I would suggest if they could give us the option of writing the reason for which someone has reported the post or a comment.
Like in the old version, yes
@shshiju (10492)
• Cochin, India
Yes your words are quite responsible to reveal the responsibility of the mylotters
yes we nyus uysecom j o n sense and report omlyu if the post is violating one oif the guidfeoines nio because we do noit likeit. It is allk our responsibvlliy JJ
@aureliah (16150)
Yes that would definitely help. If we are all responsible, no one would get offended.
I rarely report anything but if I saw something flouting the guidelines I would. Mostly i just stick to reading stuff from my following list and I KNOW they're all squeaky clean - mostly.
@Tina30219 (34194)
• Onaway, Michigan
Yeah we should report it but also the people that post the stuff to get them in trouble on here should no better we should not have to report anybody because then it could turn into a mess for us.
Oh rats, more responsibility. I have taken on this responsibility. Such a burden.
Yes it is right to report things that go against the guidelines. I have not noticed anything myself. I think most of us who love being here do our best to keep things running smoothly.
@PatZAnthony (12659)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We can all read the guidelines again and be reminded. Yes, we do have some responsibility here to take care of those things.