Is it necessary to tell newbies about GUIDELINES?

@sjvg1976 (18386)
Delhi, India
Whenever a newbie comes here I think he reads all the rules and everything about the sites then is it necessary that every time we give a link to the post and ask him to read it. Is it not rude? And it's more rude when the newbie doesn't ask it from the people. I never do that but there are people who always do that. What do you do on their discussions?
@Shiva49 (13049)
No harm in drawing their attention to the do's and dont's. Having been in few sites earlier I did not read it to be frank. I do not read instruction manual of anything I buy. I know that sounds not proper - siva
@sjvg1976 (18386)
Why should we ask them to read if they didn't ask for help.
@sjvg1976 Why should we offer to help someone that fell down if they didn't ask for help?
@Shiva49 (13049)
@Bluedoll Thanks. I have a smug feeling my posts can in no way offend anyone and will come within whatever guidelines in place - siva
Actually most of them don't.
@sjvg1976 (18386)
Actually you always do
"whenever a newbie comes here I think he reads all the rules and everything about the sites then is it necessary..." If only! You are an optimist.
@sjvg1976 (18386)
Everyone should be optimistic
@sjvg1976 No. Everyone should be realistic.
I think it is necessary. Many have proven over and over they don't read the guidelines when they join here. Of course, there's a nice way to do things and a not nice way. Merely suggesting they read them is helpful and not rude, I don't think. Some don't know where to find them so it's helping them. I have been thanked for giving newbies that information many times. =)
@sjvg1976 (18386)
Whereas I rarely suggest them the link but still they say thanks to me
I think that can always be helpful. Sometimes they can get confused about what is right or wrong.
From what I've seen, most do not read the guidelines when they join. So it is nice for others who have been here awhile to tell them too, if in a nice way like @lovingmybabies said.
When I read a discussion from a newbie asking "how this site works?" I suppose the newbie did not take the time to check the rules and FAQ and I think the user appreciate to have the link.
@shivamani10 (11232)
• Hyderabad, India
This is left to individual decision. However, consider did anybody tell you about the guidelines when you were a newbie?
Usually I will just welcome to a newbie. If the newbie doesn't know how this website works, it will be a long explanation and I am not going to say it. As the newbie can find it from the website here easily.
Most of the newbies don't bother to read the guidelines. It's rare to see a newbie who does. I don't find it rude when old members would remind them of reading the guidelines. It only means odd member want them here and care that they do stay and to get their accounts deleted by the admin. I usually welcome the newbies first and tell them to read the guidelines just in case they missed it.
@yanzalong (10151)
Yes, when they seem to have violated the rule.
@kepweng (15085)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
yes i think we can help?
@aureliah (16195)
But it can be very helpful since not many will go through all the guidelines at ago.
I assume a new user would read the guidelines. I leave it up to them. If a new user makes an error, they will soon discover the guidelines.
@lovebuglena (6408)
• Staten Island, New York
I read the guidelines a few times but if I were quizzed on them not sure how much I'd remember. I don't think I've ever done anything that I shouldn't have on here but still... Not everyone likes being helped unless they ask for it.
@peachpurple (12875)
Yes tell them