A Natural Remedy

@UncleJoe (11546)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
As with so many other parts of the country, ours has been a rotten weather day. 40 degrees with a rain, sleet, now mix is not good for my antique lungs. I have COPD. Of course it would be that way when I had so much to do today. Thank God for a warm dry vehicle to get me to my appointments. The worst about cold and damp is that it tends to cause a lot of congestion. Breathing becomes more difficult. I used to have to take a lot of over-the-counter medications like Mucinex and other decongestants. Unfortunately, for somebody my age some of those produce dangerous side effects. About 6 years ago a very dear friend who runs a Chinese restaurant revealed the perfect remedy. Completely natural and works better than anything else I have ever used. All I do is take a fresh lemon and squeeze all the juice into a large cup. Then I fill the cup with hot water. Not from the tap. It needs to be as hot as your coffee. Without adding sugar or honey for a sweetener I drink it down as quickly as possible. Within minutes, all my congestion is gone.
• Lenox, Georgia
I'm glad that works for you. My first thought was YUCK! But if it works then that's great!
@UncleJoe (11546)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
LOL @LovingMyBabies Everything can't be fun.
@1creekgirl (13721)
Thanks for the suggestion. Natural remedies often are healthier for us.
The lemon oil from the peel is a natural antihistamine.
@Srbageldog (8231)
I will have to try this the next time I'm congested. I will let my mom know about it too, since she often gets upper respiratory congestion and has a difficult time breathing.
@nela13 (11594)
• Portugal
Thank you for this natural remedy
@nanette64 (18356)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have COPD too @UncleJoe and as much as I hate lemons (especially without sugar), it's still worth a try.
@UncleJoe (11546)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
VERY worth the try @nanette64
@nanette64 (18356)
• Fairfield, Texas
@UncleJoe I'll just 'suck it up'; the bootstraps that is.
@Ithink (10490)
I liek the natural way better ... thou that has to have some pucker power to it! lol
@UncleJoe (11546)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@ithink It's not that bad after the first couple of sips. The main thing is that it works.
@Ithink (10490)
@UncleJoe That is the main thing, else who would ever do it?!
Hmmmm, I wonder if that would help someone with a chest cold. I guess its worth a try isn't it?
@UncleJoe (11546)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Juliaacv Absolutely! Lots of Vitamin C too.
@kepweng (19407)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
someone said to me lemon can cause Cancer
@UncleJoe (11546)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Have you researched that @kepweng ?
I have heard about doing that before. If it works that is great.
@SAM774 (4186)
Nice remedy....
I have also had that using lemon juice and experienced a similar result. Glad you discovered it!
I believe you. The lemon has numerous health benefits.
Thank you so much for this tip. This is so much better than taking those OTC meds which can cause problems.
@Morleyhunt (19368)
I must remember to try that the next time I'm suffering from congestion.
@Icydoll (29392)
@UncleJoe it's useful post but drinking lemon without adding sweeteners is it possible:(
I have been doing that for a long time already. Lemon isn't as sour as lime. I never add sugar of honey when I drink lemon. In the morning I just slice a lemon and dunk it in my water. It's the first thing I drink in the morning after waking up. Lemon water is really great for health. But when I'm getting down with a flu, I drink lemon juice sans sugar.
@yanzalong (10164)
How can you drink it if it is still too hot?
That's a very handy tip. Cheap and effective. What's not to like? Well, just the taste perhaps.
Thanks for sharing that, but be careful. Lemons harbor a lot of bacteria, so only let the juice touch the cup.