We Have a Schnorf/Snuff

The surname Schnorf is a noble name. The surname Snuff is a noble name too. However, when a person's last name happens to be Schnorf/Snuff, then that is a last name that is giggle-worthy. My 4 times great-grandfather is Jacob Schnorf, and he came to the USA from Switzerland. Jacob Schnorf decided to enlist in the military during the Revolutionary War. Jacob changed his last name from Schnorf to Snuff. On many of Jacob's documents, he is listed as Jacob Schnorf/Snuff. I hope that in the 18th and 19th centuries, the name Schnorf/Snuff did not cause others to bend over in laughter when that name was read or spoken aloud. Cracks me up every time I say it! "Jacob Schnorf/Snuff photo of Memorial Marker erected in 2007 Name submitted 19 Apr 2005 by John Walker who writes, Jacob Schnorf was a Warren County pioneer from Washington Co.,PA and served in the Revolutionary War as a Pvt.,5th Battalion under Capt. Robert Sweeny he's listed under the name Jacob Snuff.He may have served in the War of 1812. He is buried at the Schnorf farm cemetery which the county lists as the old Bunnell cemetery that has been desecrated with piles of trash and overgrown brush. It is located on private property 1 mile south of 122 (Red Lion) on the west side of 741. There is an old barn foundation just south of where some of the stones have been recovered, further access has been denied by current owners. Jacob married Mary Kinder abt 1771 in Washington Co.,PA,her stone was recovered from the Schnorf farm Cemetery(Bunnell Cem.) and is now located at the Verona Cemetery near her son John Schnorf" Jacob Snuff DAR Listing Jacob Snuff Revolutionary War Record [abstracted from Pennsylvania State Archives] " Photo: Daughters of the American Revolution Patriot Index
That is a giggle worthy name. I've heard a few hum doozy names which make Schnorf/Snuff look like Smith!
There are some names out there that are hilarious, that's for sure. Oh well, I do know that Schnorf/Snuff lived to age 85, so no wonder my dad is still going strong at age 96.
@Corbin5 Your family is truly blessed with longevity.
That is funny indeed. Some names really become hilarious when matched with something else.
So many who came to the USA wanted their names to be a good fit for their new country, so I do think that may be the reason for the change. My great-grandparents from France changed Gereec to Gerec, or perhaps the name was changed at Ellis Island.
@Corbin5 Many Polish migrants came to our home town in Western Australia and some of them changed to a more 'acceptable' name.. But then you got stuff like two brothers, one of whom had his surname changed to Adams and the other remained Adamachievich or somesuch.
@JudyEv Yes, I saw that those related to Jacob went by Snuff, or Schnorf, and even Snorf. So confusing.
You have a Snuff in your blood!
Yes, I do!!!
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh lordy @Corbin5 now that's a tough name to deal with. I can just hear some of his military buddies, "Hey Schnorffie". Or "Snuffstuff". You know how some people can be.
Yes, I am concerned that he had to endure a lot of teasing due to that name. Amazed that he lived to the ripe old age of 85.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 That was like my last name of Gooch. "Goochie-poochie"; "G**k" (double o's where the stars are; why it said that was a bad word I don't know); "Grouch"; etc.
@nanette64 I bet that word was a bad one due to it being a derogatory name for those who are of Philippine, Korean, or Vietnamese descent. I remember it was used a lot during the Vietnam War. Gooch sounds a lot better than Schnorf/Snuff to me.
Schnorf is indeed a Swiss family name, from the area around Zürich, pretty difficult to pronounce, Snuff is a lot easier.
My dad always mentioned the Schnorfs. It is an unusual name for those of us who are not from the area in which it originated. Narcissa Schorf married my great-great grandfather.
@Corbin5 Checking the genealogy of the name, you could find that a Jacob Hans Schnorf was born the 17th of March 1742 in Uetikon, Canton Zürich, Switzerland.
@LadyDuck Yes, Jacob Hans Schnorf is the 4x great grandfather. I am a Corbin, and my great-great grandfather, Richard Corbin, married Narcissa Schnorf. Narcissa did the job for that DAR status. I should have our son become a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. I will work on that one. I think he would be proud.
What a great heritage you have and since he is your ancestor, you are also a DAR.
Yes, my grandmother was a member of the DAR. I never was interested in joining when my grandmother pushed the issue. Oh well, I could still join but I would have to research if the DAR is involved in charitable works.
@Corbin5 I think they are. My late mother-in-law was a DAR.
@just4him That is wonderful your mother-in-law was in the DAR. At this point in my life, I think I will just forget about it. My mother discouraged me from joining when I was in college due to the DAR not allowing Marian Anderson, an African American, to sing at one of their events in 1939. That blatant discrimination did not sit well with my mother at all.
This is very amazing that you have this information of so far back Deborah, bless him
He seems to have been a very patriotic fellow. I am fortunate that my dad's family came to the USA so early on. Dad's family is so easy to trace without Ancestry.com due to the diligent record-keeping done so long ago.
@Corbin5 Yes that is good you dont need to use Ancestry..nice to know with records and all Deborah..its really great! Yes I know exactly where all my people come from..Mom is born in Ireland, Dad in Sicily..so word of mouth and some photos from both from generations gone by.
@TiarasOceanView I am so glad you have that information!!!! Ireland and Sicily makes for a very fine combination!!!
lol very funny and interesting.
Maybe back in the day, no one laughed at Schnorf/Snuff.
I am sure a lot of people giggled over that name. Thanks for sharing about him.
I thought Schnorf was funny, but adding the Snuff was a hoot.
That is a kinda funny name
My dad always mentioned the Schorfs. He giggled when he said that name too.
@nela13 (8258)
• Portugal
You did a lot of research, it is nice To know where we came from
Yes, I am fortunate that so many records were kept that are easy to find online.
Wow, it must be amazing to actually know who your ancestors from 1700s were.
It really is a bit of a thrill to stumble upon those ancestors from so long ago. My dad's ancestors go so far back and his were so easy to find due to good record-keeping by those in England. A never-new-we-had-a-cousin in France did my mother's French ancestry for us.
A lot of our family records perished in fires @Corbin5 the problem is that back in the early 1900s few records were in duplicate.
@rebelann I remember we had to get my dad's DD-214 a document stating his discharge date from the service. We found it, but many were burned in a fire in 1973.
@YrNemo (14703)
wow, so you come from good & noble stock . The first time I saw surnames like Fishbones, Butcher, Hicks, I thought someone was pulling my leg! (I thought you were being funny here too, until I realized your great great great etc grandfather was a real Schnorf/Snuff! )
It is funny that some go by Snuff, some by Snuf, and some by Schnorf, and others by Snorf. Those folks need to settle on one name.
@YrNemo (14703)
@kepweng (18574)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice roots you have so your a European?
So far, Swiss, French, and English ancestors. So, definitely European.
Names and their origins can be so interesting and sometimes funny. My mama's maiden name was Nosti........they would tease her by calling her that Nasty Nosti Girl.
Oh, that is so funny. Nosti is a noble name too. This site gives some interesting information regarding your mom's maiden name.
Certainly does tickle the funny bone when reading that name
I am hoping that way back then, folks did not tease him too much due to that name.
It does sound very funny to say it, almost like an old cartoon character would speak.
My dad always laughed that we had a Schnorf, but I don't think Dad knows about the Snuff.