Rising Ocean Levels Affecting California

Photo taken by author; all rights reserved
Laguna Woods, California
Every few months, my friends and I walk around quaint Balboa Island. It is an adorable island in Balboa Bay, and is part of Newport Beach, CA. Home prices start at around $2.5 million, and go up to several times that. I often take photos of the Christmas and Halloween decorations, although the community is adorable even when it is not decorated. The island is surrounded by a short sea wall and normally has a beach on the other side of the wall. This week, however, as you can see in the photo above, the beach was completely submerged and the water reached nearly to the top of the sea wall at high tide. If ocean levels rise only a few inches, the island would be flooded. My friends and I were walking on a sidewalk which was below sea level! If anyone doubts the effects of climate change, they only need to observe what is happening along our coastlines!
We have not stopped the process in time, now it's too late, we will see the effects of global warming more and more in the near future.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I agree. I have heard that the ice melt is speeding up. That will have devastating consequences.
@DeborahDiane The Swiss glaciers are melting at record rate. The experts say that by 2090 there will be no more glaciers in Switzerland.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - No glaciers in Switzerland? Won't that be a sad day? I remember my daughter skiing in Zermatt. Life will be so different when the glaciers melt. I won't be alive in another 70 years, but I'm sure most of my grandchildren will be. They will only know about some of the animals and activities of our generation by reading about them in history books.
@sallypup (26658)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Good heavens. 2.5 million dollar house is adorable? How about queenly or kingly?
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - This is pretty shocking, and I want to make it clear that I don't live on the island, but a two-bedroom cottage without an ocean view starts at $2.5 million. A larger 3 or 4 bedroom home along the seawall starts at about $4 million. The largest homes on the island can sell for twice that, since some of them are on a double-wide lot! Can you imagine the loss if the island starts flooding regularly?
@sallypup (26658)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DeborahDiane That would be crazy amazing in money. Makes my head spin. We're looking into buying in Western Oregon. So far we have found a couple humble places for what we can afford but there are also mobile homes that are not cheap. We will be going there next June. I hope the prices are not higher by then.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - I hope you find something you like and can afford, too. I keep hoping that housing prices will stabilize, soon. I agree that those home prices make my head spin, too. They are all crammed together on tiny lots, too. If the island starts flooding, it will be a terrible loss!
Global warming is starting to be a real worry.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Yes, I am starting to see the effects of global warming in the coastal communities around us. I imagine that in another ten years, the problem will be even more obvious. Of course, by then, it will be too late to prevent some of the damage.
@DeborahDiane Our coasts are being affected too - as are our coral reefs.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Oh, yes. I have heard that the Great Barrier Reef is in critical danger. I'm sure other parts of your coast are experiencing problems, too. I wonder how long countries can ignore this problem, without constructing seawalls and moving people. The longer they wait, the more expensive the solutions.
You can say adorable again. It's the truth.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sharon6345 - Yes, it is an adorable town. It would be sad to see it flooded.
@DeborahDiane water is dangerous. But I would not like fire.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sharon6345 - I agree. Fires are terrifying.
Yes the sea level is rising and no one seems to care.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - Unfortunately, those who care are not the ones who are currently in power. By the time those who care are in power, it will be too late to avoid the damage that will occur. I am amazed by how unconcerned some people are!
@ptrikha_2 (7941)
@DeborahDiane the unconcerned people can realize but the concerned and less concerned need to unite and put pressure on the powerful and the wealthy.
@ptrikha_2 (7941)
@DeborahDiane Yes but this pressure ought to be as big and widespread as the pressure for developing infrastructure, safety against criminals and similar issues.
This will stir a few minds that accept the effects of global climate change but it should also remind that at the same rate we lose artic material (ice and snow and frigid waters) filling up other areas where water is scarce or appropriately level also means areas that were drought-ridden may actually flourish again. It is global climate change but for the good not the eventful, bad as predictions seems to sway on
• Laguna Woods, California
Theoretically, you are right that the change in the world will benefit some areas. However, all the people who live near a coast, including the coast of the Great Lakes, Gulf of Mexico, both oceans and major rivers, like the Mississippi, will need to be relocated. This is expensive and will cause many problems for people with large investments in their property. The government will not reimburse them. The world will not end, but the disruption will be significant. It will be made worse by a government which does not try to mitigate the problem, by building sea walls and relocating people now. Trillions of dollars in property values will be lost. It could cause a recession or depression. Yes, some areas will benefit, but others will be devastated. It seems fine, if you do not live in a vulnerable area.
@DeborahDiane hmmmm I guess then not being in a vulnerable area I cannot rightly comment on the problem just make sure NOT to make it worse . . .
• Laguna Woods, California
@enlightenedpsych2 - I think that is a fair attitude. If you will not be affected, the right thing to do is whatever you can, not to make the issue worse. It is a big worry in many parts of the country, but not everyone will be directly affected.
It's happening all over the world, sadly. Miami has been working on this problem for years and so has Palm Beach. It's definitely climate warming.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - It has been decades since I've been in Miami or Palm Beach, but I'm sure rising sea levels are a problem for both cities. A friend of mine went to Key West last winter, before the hurricanes. She said that every day at high tide her hotel was an island. You could not leave at that time without wading through water. I have misgivings about them rebuilding some of the structures on the Keys, unless they build seawalls and more infrastructure, too.
@DeborahDiane I agree. Those Keyes need protection as does anything surrounded by water. It is such a shame, too, since living by the water is such a magnificent thing to see.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - I agree! I love the beach towns near us, and I will be very sad if they aren't protected and end up receiving severe damage from the rising water. Such a shame. We live about 4 miles from the ocean. I guess I could look at the bright side ... we could be living in ocean front property one of these days! LOL
Global warming is of concern to us all.However the problem is that it has been disputed by certain people.
• Laguna Woods, California
People can dispute global warming all they want. However, when I walk along a sidewalk and the water level is higher than the walkway, for the first time I remember, then I see that as a problem, so matter what some people want us to think.
@DeborahDiane Yes,facts speak louder than eloquence.
• Laguna Woods, California
@changjiangzhibin89 - I agree. When people see water lapping at their feet, it will be hard to deny that the water has risen!
@Shiva49 (12616)
I only hope we do something about this than just to wish it away as a non event - siva
@ptrikha_2 (7941)
At least all people here on mylot resolve to walk more and use less of petrol or diesel driven vehicles. And use Air-conditioners at optimum temperatures.
@ptrikha_2 (7941)
@Shiva49 Yes and today I violated my resolve to some extent. I was unwell, and had to take my car nearby to buy certain things. Yet normally I prefer walking or rickshaw to such nearby places- sometimes even when it is rainy, very cold or very hot.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Shiva49 - I wish we had better public transportation here in the United States, too. There are only a few places, like New York City, where you can get by without a car.
@PatZAnthony (12573)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is something that should wake-up even the serious skeptics, but it might now.
• Laguna Woods, California
I certainly hope a few people wake up and realize the effect climate change is going to have on our nation, as well as other nations around the world!
@Jotomy (6355)
There are many changes I could see and experience the different type of weather very cold here previously it is not like that.