And Who Said Vinyl’s are Dead?

@poehere (17700)
French Polynesia
All this research online got me thinking about music and how far it’s come since 1898 when the first vinyl records came out. You have to admit music was just better on vinyl. It had such a special sound when it played on an old phonograph and later on a record player. The only problem, when one side finished, you had to turn it over, to hear the second side. People just plan love their music. I wouldn’t mind having one of these right now. I had a great vinyl collection that I let go in 1978. I couldn’t store this forever with my grandma, and I sure couldn’t take it with me. I bet I know a person on this site who has a record player hooked up to his computer and plays vinyl’s all day long. I know if I had one here I’d do the same. Do you still have vinyl’s at home and play them from time to time? I just love the sound of the music coming from an old phonograph, don’t you?
We have a lot of vinyl here, but no record player. My husband has them, and I do not know why he keeps them.
@poehere You can still buy brand new releases on vinyl, always could.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@JolietJake I have know this for a long time, but I no longer have a way to play them and here it is really hot to try and keep them and store them. Humidity, heat, and living next to a river is not a good idea to buy them for here.
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
Some; depending on who the singer is are worth some serious money @Corbin5 .
Oh the memories. It's been a long time since I had a record player, stereo, or phonograph that played vinyl's. It did sound real good.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
I love the sound of music on vinyls and there is no other sound like this one.
@poehere No, there isn't another sound like it.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
Planning on buying a player and a couple of vinyls for my collection. I agree that vinyls are way better than digital music!
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
I just love the sound of the records and I'm not even sure why. New digital music is very crisp and clean and you don't get to hear that background sound with it. I think that is what I miss.
@poehere true. Analog has a certain character to it that digital won't ever capture.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@allen0187 They just don't have the technique to get that scratchy sound or needle sound in it.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I have not used vynil for decades. I do still have audio cassettes and video cassettes, along with the appropriate players.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
I had to ditch mine when I was moving around with work so much. I went to visit my grandma one time and she asked me if I could do something with all the records. She'd like to use my room as a sewing room and needed the space. So I sold them off for her and helped her make a sewing room. She was so happy.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@poehere I cannot even remember what happened with my old vynil collection.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@Asylum I know what happened to mine.
myLot boasts the king of vinyl: JJ and his collection.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
OH Yes I know this one. I have seen his posts on the site many times over.
When I was young, my granny has its all the vinyl collection. But then, it was long gone. I wonder where did they put the collections.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
It would be fun to find out. I know my mom and dad had a very large one and I think my mom still has this today. I'm sure when she is gone this one will disappear also.
@poehere I think it is fine to keep the old stuff. However, I cannot hold the future. The only thing that I can keep our the old photos of my clan.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@Shavkat Know what you mean. I have never been a person to hold on to stuff for a long time.
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, Scar plays them when @JolietJake ain't lookin' @poehere . I have a box of vinyl's but no player. Ticks me off.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
I think it was 5 or 6 years ago when I was in the US I saw hem selling players again. I think they were actually reasonable and not too expensive.
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
@poehere I'm saving all my vinyl's for @JolietJake when I croak; so they need to be in pristine condition.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@nanette64 That's so funny. Why not give them to him now before he croaks and it could be before you. Then who will you give them too. LOL
I have all my vinyls and my husband also has all his own collection. We always liked the vinyls a lot more than the CDs, the sound is more warm and less "mechanic".
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
You are so right on that one. I had to get rid of mine so long ago. I couldn't move them around with me all the years I worked in other countries so it was best to let them go back then. I saw what happened to other things I left behind and I should have just dumped it all before I left.
@poehere When we first moved to Monte-Carlo, I left many things in one room of my Mom's apartment. When we bought the house here in Switzerland and became resident, we were allowed to bring all our belongings here.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck That is fantastic and I'm glad this one worked out for you. When I came here to Tahiti, I just came with 2 suit cases of clothes to start off with. I had to make several trips back and forth to pick up equipment and supplies. I didn't have a lot of things to move here because I basically lived out of suit cases. I had a few more suit cases of clothes to bring along and a lot of them I left behind because they were not needed here.
@LeaPea2417 (19789)
• Toccoa, Georgia
We don't have a record player anymore. I still have some vinyl record albums but if I want to play them, I would have to take them to my parents house. They still have a record player in their living room.
@poehere (17700)
• French Polynesia
They are the best and it is hard if you can play them they just take up room. I guess when my grandma asked me to get rid of mine so she could have the room I was young and didn't think much of this one.
@rina110383 (24141)
At my parents' place, they still have them. Not sure if they still play them.