The Truth at Last

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Over the years, I have given a variety of answers to the question “Why are you homeschooling?” The answers have ranged from my being too lazy to get the kids out of bed in time to make it to the bus to my being a complete control freak and not wanting anyone else to be able to influence my precious children. If I were to make a complete list of my reasons you would probably have to do a lot of scrolling in order to read them all. As my homeschooling journey is nearing its completion, I’ve once again been considering my reasons and whether or not it was all worth it. It’s all about the books. Reading has always been my escape of choice. Books are a fantastic means of travelling to far away places and events of the past. Over the years my bookshelves filled to overflowing and my children and I have taken uncountable literary journeys together. I still enjoy curling up with a thick novel to read by myself, I spend hours listening to audio books while driving or working on otherwise mindless tasks around the house, but the books I enjoy the most are the ones I share with my children. It will be a sad day when I have no one left to read to.
Your children have all done well and seem really well-adjusted You've done well. Maybe one day you can volunteer to read to kids in the library or local school.
My kids aren't perfect, but they do seem to have their heads on straight. I guess sheltering them from outside influence must have worked.
@Platespinner I'm sure it has but you've also taken the trouble to make sure they have had plenty of opportunities to socialise and mix.
@JudyEv There was some serious tongue-in-cheek in my last comment. I've been accused of sheltering my children to an unreasonable degree a few times...the person in question didn't know our family at all.
Learning has always been about the books, if everyone realized that they would read.
Sadly, there are a LOT of people who don't read.
@1creekgirl (11959)
Maybe not so long later, you'll have some sweet grandbabies to read to.
Someday, perhaps.
As there are authors who write every day we will not see a day without books, I am sure of this.
There is no danger of my ever running out of things to read. I love watching retirees come into the library and check out mountains of books...that will be me someday!
@Platespinner It's already me I am retired from 18 months now.
@LadyDuck I need a job so I have something to retire from .
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
You've had some precious years with your children and obviously given them a strong love of literature.
I don't regret the time I've invested in my children. It's just hard to believe that they are pretty much grown up now.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
@Platespinner and now it's time to invest in yourself.
@valmnz My husband quite effectively took care of my "me" time, by bringing home a puppy last May.
@Morleyhunt (21005)
The children grown up...then you read to the grandchildren. I'm game to volunteer at the local library or the local nursing home after the move to read to children or elderly adults...either will do.
I hope you find a volunteer niche that you enjoy!
@Srbageldog (8244)
Maybe one day you will have grandchildren to read to. Or as someone else suggested, you could volunteer to read at a school or for a children's program at your local library.
There may be grandchildren some day. For the time being I have enough volunteer hours on my schedule.
I congratulate you! I think that homeschooling must be hard task.
It had been difficult at times, but I have few regrets and so far all of my children have transitioned well to college and university.
@RodrickH (12607)
It's great to read books,there is a book in the picture called how to ruin your life by 30,I wonder what is about?
It's a book aimed at young adults telling them about the consequences of bad choices. It's a great book.
@1hopefulman (32505)
That's quite an accomplishment. How many children do you have?
Homeschooling is very rare in my country, you have to jump through a lot of hoops if you want to do it. I don't know anyone who was homeschooled. I'm happy for you that it worked for you.