Incident with a Segway.

Image from Pixabay
By Jabo
United Kingdom
We were sitting in a cafe on the seafront here in Spain when a young man and woman came by on a segway. These are two-wheeled motorised scooter things - you can see them in the picture from Pixabay above. They are only designed for one person, but somehow they'd managed to both get on one. Anyway, just after they'd come by we heard a crash and a commotion. We didn't see exactly what happened, but they were both prostrate on the ground. The next thing we saw was that young man scrambling up to retrieve his sunglasses which had landed a few feet in front of them. He had to step over his girlfriend in order to do that, and didn't appear concerned about her at all. It was left to a passerby to help her up, and thankfully she didn't seem too hurt, though her knees were bloodied. Whatever happened to chivalry?
@Platespinner (16520)
I suspect over-the-top feminism killed chivalry. I've seen women offended when a man holds a door open for them and I imagine that once a man has been treated that way a few times he might be inclined to give up.
@Platespinner Yes, I agree, but holding doors open is a bit different from helping someone who might be hurt. You'd think common decency would have kicked in.
@xFiacre (4456)
@platespinner When I started going out with my wife she always just stood at doors till a man opened them, and stood beside a restaurant table till a man pulled her chair out for her - any man would do.
@xFiacre I think like your wife!
I guess he cared more for his sunglasses than the young lady. She may have been his sister but either way, chivalry has indeed been killed by women who get ugly if men offer to help. I personally love a man to open a door for me, it shows impeccable manners. I didn't need to be liberated.
@BelleStarr It's a pity that feminism has knocked good manners on the head, isn't it? But in this case it should have been the natural reaction to help his girlfriend up and see she was ok, before retrieving his damn sunglasses.
@jaboUK Maybe they were designer sunglasses lol!!
@BelleStarr Lol - even so....
• Preston, England
@jaboUK what a nice guy - even thinking about his glasses before his girlfriend - hope he is now looking for a new girlfriend
@arthurchappell If it was me, he certainly would be
sun glasses.The guy is a jerk.The girlfriend better dump him.
That is for sure.
@amadeo @jstory07 You've got that right!
@jaboUK wonder if he will do this.Or laugh it off?
Oh, that was a sad sight to see. I think chivalry is in short supply these days.
@Corbin5 If my fella had treated me the way this one did, he would have been history.
@jaboUK Same here. It is definitely a sign that this fellow is not worthy.
Maybe they were married (I know that's not really funny but I can't help giggling). I think chivalry slid out the door when feminism came sailing through. And they might have been really expensive sunglasses.
@JudyEv Wives or girlfriends are dispensible, but not sunglasses???
@jaboUK Have you seen the price of those things??? You can't blame him really.
@JudyEv Well I do blame him
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
Chivalry was replaced by equality.
@Asylum That could be so, but surely humanity shouldn't be usurped?
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK Very true, particularly since attending to the companion should be first irrespective of gender.
Boy, he must've been too concerned about his sunglasses being broken rather than making sure his girlfriend was not hurt . They shouldn't have even been on the segway together !
@much2say I suppose they were saving money by just hiring the one. But he can't have been a very nice person to give precedence to sunglasses.
@jaboUK I'm just thinking that if was not designed for 2, then someone could potentially get hurt - and she did! I would have hoped that the guy wouldn't have wanted to take such a risk to begin with . . . I guess he'd rather save money, and save his glasses, than save his girlfriend.
@much2say You've hit the nail on the head - he has his priorities all wrong.
I see that often too, and I wonder how society has advanced so much and yet regressed at the very same time. I always taught our son to walk on the outside of the sidewalk to protect the woman, and to open doors and pull out chairs. And I'm so glad that he embraced that, his wife deserves it, and so many of our younger generation deserve that, but the guys seem kind of clueless on that level. A lot of our son's friends tell us that they were never taught that.
@Juliaacv You are so right in that the young men aren't taught that sort of thing, but common decency shouldn't need to be taught. It should be instinct to help someone who might be hurt.
His sunglasses were more important than his girlfriend. What a gentleman he is not.
@jstory07 Yes - a right moron. I couldn't believe that he actually stepped over her.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
He is obviously too vain and left his beau in Pain. No chivalry in sight but yellow livery his might. Did you offer your service to their plight! How about that for a dreadful four liner! Sorry there is no hope for me!
Hi Gary - many kudos for your verse, it's good. This happened when they'd gone about 10 yards past us, so someone nearer was helping her up.
@garymarsh6 (14085)
@jaboUK I bet you are glad you are in Spain Janet. it is so cold here!
@garymarsh6 It hasn't been as warm as usual here, but it's a lot better than home. We return on Tuesday.
He sounds cheap and creepy at the same time. What a jerk! My husband and sons were raised to be gentlemen.
@DianneN You hit the nail on the head - he was a real jerk.
@jaboUK Lol! There are many jerks in our world, unfortunately. How much longer will you be in Spain?
@DianneN We go home next Tuesday - only then will I start thinking about Christmas
@pgntwo (21658)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Hmmm, no segué to that question...
@pgntwo You never disappoint
@pgntwo (21658)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@jaboUK You'd be surprised!
@Shiva49 (13036)
Everything seems to have gone wrong with misplaced priorities. I hope they learn the right lessons from overstepping the line in every way - siva
@Shiva49 They obviously thought it more important to save money, than to be safe. Who knows, perhaps they will have learnt from the incident. If I'd been that girl I would have learnt that he's not the man for me.
@Shiva49 (13036)
@jaboUK Some are callous and never learn. Many here are getting injured as these mobility devices are encroaching on pedestrian walkways. When they zoom past I feel a shudder. And to think the silent electric cars are around the corner! siva
@Shiva49 I think it's a pity that anyone can get a mobility scooter - they should be only for people who really can't walk far, not just for fat and lazy people. As you say, they are a danger to pedestrians.
Segway is designed for those who have difficulty in walking as I have known it on TV. But it has become an enjoyable thing for teeners most especially. That's bad for the boyfriend not to be bothered of helping her girlfriend from the ground.
Yes, the youngsters seem to love zipping around on the segways.
@jaboUK It's fun using it that's why. We have that before for rent at the celebration plaza of the mall we.manage.
@ridingbet (53168)
hmmm, so maybe there is no true love between these lovers, or maybe the girl is already accustomed to her boyfriend? incidentally, segway here in my country has a different meaning, and this is 'diverting a conversation to another topic'.
@ridingbet It's a funny word isn't it? Spelt differently here (segue) it means that one topic moves smoothly into another.
@ridingbet (53168)
@jaboUK yes, that is the right spelling for the segueway that i was mentioning, but it is pronounced as segway, hahah! us Filipinos, we tend to shorten the spelling of some words as long as they are pronounced the same, like the UR in YOUR.
@jobelbojel (7178)
What is wrong with that guy! That was a mess!
He obviously is uncaring, I hope the girl dumps him.
@jaboUK she better dumps him.
@LeaPea2417 (20461)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Wow, that guy sure didn't seem too caring towards the woman.
@LeaPea2417 He certainly didn't - I hope this has opened her eyes about him.
@LeaPea2417 (20461)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@jaboUK I hope so too.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Sunglasses over his girlfriend @jaboUK ? Oh now that's just wrong. If I would've been her, I would have hugged the person who helped me up and then kicked the boyfriend in the butt.
@nanette64 That's exactly my reaction too Nanette!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jaboUK I hope this opens her eyes to this guy.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Wow. Sounds about right though.
@FayeHazel - it's sad that this sort of thing should happen, isn't it?
@FayeHazel (18027)
@jaboUK Yes... very sad-- Chivalry is pretty much gone, and so is even just being a decent person in some cases