Question of the Day- Helping out a Stranger

By DB
@dgobucks226 (13823)
Have you ever had an instance where you paid for a stranger's purchase? Can you remember the circumstances for doing so? Have you ever had a stranger pay for you?
My husband and I have done this because God told us they needed help. We wanted to bless them and show God's love for them. We did this a couple weeks ago, paid for a ladies purchase for groceries.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
We are an instrument for God's work. "Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion." -Quote Dali Lama
Yes, I and my family have all come into contact with very generous strangers who have paid for us at different places. My mom has as Dunkin Donuts - as this time of year, many around here will pay $5 towards the persons order behind them in drive thru. My brother has - with working in retail. And My mom and I have - one night at Wendys when my moms bank card wouldn't go through even though it had $80 on it. We have also helped others, in the same kind of ways.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
That is a very nice sentiment!
I have on many situations. but one that I will always remember is a lady coming in the diner asking if anyone knew of any rooms for rent. It was oh so hot outside. We all said no and she sat there through breakfast with nothing. I gave her a plate of food. she sat there for lunch and I gave her another plate. THen it got late and I was there still working. I asked her a few questions come to find out she was homeless. I asked would she like a shower and dinner. She said yeah so we went to my house. she was so grateful and she stayed with me a month. I had hundreds of dollars in a can under the coffee table. Everyone said Sharon hide your money. I said no way. This is an angel sent to test me. No way. Each night I put my tips in that can and put it back. One day I came to see her gone and a letter on the table. Thanking me for all I did for her. She told me that had I not taken her in she would have taken her life. For that reason, I will always help in any way. I always said that was a test for me. I passed with flying colors. I went to my can and nothing was missing. for that, I am blessed.
This was so very kind of you. You will go straight to Heaven for your kindness.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
Such a heartwarming story and one of the most generous and compassionate acts of kindness I have heard in helping a stranger in need. This quote by Robert Frost sums up my feelings on your response. "There never was any heart truly great and generous, that was not also tender and compassionate."
@dgobucks226 (13823)
@JudyEv I certainly agree Judy.
My husband and I used to pay for tolls on the expressway for he car behind us. My most recent help was to an elderly lady who did not have enough to pay for her purchase and she said she would go to her car to get more money. I paid for the remainder of what she owed. I know my helped out many when he worked in the city of Chicago.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
Very nice, I have done that also with people who were purchasing and did not have enough money on them.
I have never paid for a stranger's purchase nor has anyone done that for me. . . not that I would let them do it as I don't need the assistance. I would rather it go to someone in need.
@TheSojourner (17304)
I have never had a stranger pay for me. But I have often paid for meals for certain people when I walk out the door of a restaurant and they are dining alone. I have also left $100 bill at the grocery counter to use $25 each for the next four people in line. And I send random gifts here and there to people, even those I don't know well.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
If I am not being nosy Coral, what is your motivation for being so generous? "A hero is somebody who is selfless, who is generous in spirit, who just tries to give back as much as possible and help people. A hero to me is someone who saves people and who really deeply cares." Debi Mazar I like her quote and you are definitely a hero to those people. God bless you!!!!
@dgobucks226 when it has come time for me to pay for somebody's meal... I always do that anonymously. As I walk out the door. It might be 3 military guys that are extremely young, and I know they make more money than I do, but I usually will pay for their Buffet dinners at a Chinese buffet. And I leave a note at the cash register that usually says this... From an old female vet, who believes that it's important to thank you for your service. When I see certain people dining alone, and they look so sad... I just pay for it and I leave. My motivation is just to do something my motivation is just to do something kind. If I have an extra bit of money or when I have found money on the ground, I believe I'm supposed to do something for someone else with it. There have been a lot of times that people have done things for me over my years. They were not usually the random acts from people I didn't know, but there were some people that I know that gave of themselves quite generously when things were not always easy. And it wasn't someone I ever expected it to be. Was not the family that had to be pejorative in order to impose shame and guilt. It was people I didn't know well that became friends later. I know what it's like to feel all alone. I grew up feeling that way even though I was part of a large family. Now that I am alone, I recognize just how much I have survived in spite of it all. I know the pain of rejection and abandonment for most of my life. And if I can offer someone something so that they don't feel like the whole world has walked away, then I try to do something for them. I guess I look at life that I know I've survived all of this crap but not everybody else maybe we'll do is well as I have for being that way. I don't know if that makes sense
@dgobucks226 (13823)
@CoralLevang Makes a lot of sense and your empathy for others is admirable. I enjoyed reading your response and understanding your perspective. Love this quote from Paul Stanley of the Rock group "Kiss" of all people. So direct but so true. "When you're in a position to have gotten so much, the gift at this point is giving back." It is kind like a pay it forward...
@MarymargII (10567)
• Toronto, Ontario
I've had lots of kind people help me out with parking meters, or given me a quarter for my shopping cart- even giving me a ticket that I could re-use for parking. I did help a woman out who either had no cash or couldn't pay her small grocery bill. It's wonderful and makes your heart smile.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
It certainly does! This quote in helping others and receiving help is so true. "The charity that is a trifle to us can be precious to others." -Quote from Homer
@MarymargII (10567)
• Toronto, Ontario
@dgobucks226 It also restores your faith in the goodness of mankind.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
@MarymargII Yes it does!
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I have bought groceries for friends of mine that were struggling, but have never been in an instance where I had to pay for purchases for a stranger, "D" and no, a stranger hasn't for me either. Have you? :)
@dgobucks226 (13823)
I have helped strangers out if short on cash for a purchase. I have helped elderly people with their groceries many times. If I see someone needs assistance, I attempt to help them. Strangers have helped me before.
@bluesa (15115)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@dgobucks226 that's wonderful "D" . A circle of goodness.
I don't think that has happened with us - either way. I don't think it is common either. I've never heard of it happening but I'm sure it does.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
Probably not often, but you always hear stories of people helping others in the media. Some people just do good deeds without any fanfare.
@dgobucks226 It is nice when it does happen.
@FayeHazel (20033)
No. Usually I'm pinched for money. I've been trying to look into other ways to help someone, random act of kindness and it's tough to come up with something good. One time I was at a Chipotle and one of the workers (people who work there get a free meal a day) - told the cashier to give me her free meal. Yay! It made my day
@dgobucks226 (13823)
Still a nice gesture! It is amazing how a little act of kindness spreads such good cheer to others? Just from the responses I am getting I can definitely understand even more that giving is essential to one's life.
I did give money once to someone in my downtown. But thinking about it later, I'm 99 percent sure I recognized him and he wasn't homeless at all. He had a good job.
@dgobucks226 (13823)
You know, as they say, it is the thought that counts and gives us a good feeling inside.
@Angela150 (957)
• London, England
There was a stranger who said they lost their purse the other day but I was late for work so had to rush. I felt quite bad about it afterwards!
@dgobucks226 (13823)
Do not regret your actions. Your heart was in the right place and your being conscious of it will make you find the time if that situation happens again
No, it never happened to me yet.
I remember that I paid something for an old woman who had forgot her purse and had not enough in her wallet. It was not a big amount and I decided to help.
@shivamani10 (11188)
• Hyderabad, India
No. This is against my principle. I never allow any stranger to do the things which I do not like. I never paid such things also.