Teaching someone to drive!

Have you ever done this? Happy Wednesday all! I am headed to some work training this week in a suburb with the glorious hours of... 8 am to 5pm. Crazy normal right? My little sister (15 years old) passed her written permit test on Monday. Now the fun part begins. Me and my older sister are tasked in teaching her to drive. My mom has horrible anxiety about driving so she will not be helping. In Minnesota, after you take a drivers ed course, you take a written test for the permit at the DMV, and THEN you are expected to be behind the wheel with a licensed adult over 21 for a minimum of 50 hours before you can do your official "behind the wheel" "student driver" experience. I find this a little bit backwards as for her first time driving... I would love to sit shotgun with an emergency brake pedal at my feet. lol! At any rate I think on Sunday I will take her out for a spin. We have some abandoned fair grounds and parking lots that might be good for practicing Have you ever taught someone how to drive? Advice needed!
@Morleyhunt (19125)
Yes...I tried to teach my oldest two to drive....then we sent them to driving school....four out of five are now excellent drivers...my eldest...now 41 is scary to drive with....
Aha that will happen. I am surprised at 41 he is still scary to drive with. When I was a teen I was really fast and liked to tailgate people. Now that I am nearing 30 I have definitely slowed down!
@Morleyhunt (19125)
@maezee tshe is 41 and seems oblivious to other drivers and conditions
@Morleyhunt that is scary.
@Madshadi (8809)
• Brussels, Belgium
I learned how to drive recently. I had my father and brother in law teaching me. They were good teachers and I passed the exam with flying colours.
Glad you did!even the parallel parking? I was never able to get that.
@Madshadi (8809)
• Brussels, Belgium
@maezee it was frustrating. Especially when you do everything as shown to you and still end up parking far away from the pavement. I'm still not good at parallel parking by the way.
@yanzalong (10147)
I haven't. Am not brave enough to do that.
Haha. But I am sure if you had to, you could!
@yanzalong (10147)
@maezee Maybe.
So are you saying that after doing the 50 hours you have lessons with an official teacher or that you can do your test then? I'm a bit confused.
Exactly. You have to do 50 hours of driving time with a licensed driver over 21 years old. And THEN aftwr that point you do a "behind the wheel" program where you drive with a professional instructor in their companys car. They take you around the city andon highways for a total of 30 hours. They also have specially made cars with an emergency brake pedal on the passenger side.
@maezee That's a great way to learn to drive. Hopefully it turns out competent drivers. Here, potential drivers have a logbook and have to do so many hours driving including x miles on gravel roads, x miles at night and I think maybe you're supposed to do some driving in the rain. Not sure about the last bit.
@jobelbojel (6518)
I saw most of my relatives were taught to drive by their dads.
I see. I think her dad will be some help but he works a lot also.
My husband and I shared teaching our son to drive. Easier that way. Just try to remain calm and make sure to use praise, a lot!!!
Nice. Thank you! And white knuckle it. Lol
Good luck, I hope she does well. I tried to teach my daughter to drive, but i was so scared she would crash, I had to stop because I caused her so much anxiety.
I worry about that too. I cant afford a new car right now so I will admit Ill be a little nervous she will crash it. Lol
Goodluck
Thank you!
I taught my son to drive and he was very good, so it was easy. However, I tried to teach my brother-in-law and he had me pulling my hair out - he awful! Good luck with your sister.
Thanks! I do hope she is a decent driver. There is no telling.
Anxiety is what stopped me from driving. I tried to teach my daughter and sister though.
Did it work? I totally understand anxiety about driving. It can be incredibly dangerous.
It is better let her learn in the professional motor training school vehicle especially four wheeler. Teaching with owned vehicle would not give the student clarity and perfection. I tried teaching my sister at home, but best way is motor training school.
Yes. And that is required for the license here but first she must have 50 hours of experience driving with others.
@Daelii (4243)
Good luck! I have poor eyesight and never passed the vision requirement to drive (even with glasses)! :(
Ahh sorry to hear this.
@thelme55 (13676)
No, I haven't. I can't drive.