The Girls

@millie02 (6907)
United Kingdom
The Girls was written by Emma Cline in 2016. It tells the story of a young girl who gets involved in a very strange cult in America in 1969. This is not a true story but it probably identifies with some of the things that were happening at that time. A 15 year old girl is fascinated by a group of older girls who are hanging around in a local park. She notices that their hair is uncombed and they are all wearing handmade jewellery which sparkles in the sunshine. One of the older girls looks her way , their eyes meet, and she is smitten with her. The older girls belong to a cult that has taken over a local ranch a few miles away. The 15 year old spends her summer holidays hanging around with the girls at the ranch. The cult is run by a strange man who has delusions of fame. This story may not be to everyone`s taste because it is rather disturbing in places and does not have a happy fairytale ending. I did enjoy reading it because I like stories that are a bit different, and this one certainly was.
@cahaya1983 (10043)
Reminds me of Hidden Wives by Claire Avery. Not exactly the same story but it's about a cult led by a strange guy too. Glad you enjoyed the story.
@millie02 (6907)
I will have to look for that book, was it a good read?
@cahaya1983 (10043)
@millie02 It was my first time reading a book of that genre so yeah I think it was good.
@millie02 (6907)
@cahaya1983 Will you read a book of that genre again?
I like those type of books also. Cults are scary.
@millie02 (6907)
This one certainly was.
@Fleura (7195)
That probably is uncomfortably similar to real life!
@millie02 (6907)
I think the story was loosely base on something that happened for real.
@millie02 It certainly does sound like the cults that were around. I really wish they would have been banned.
@HazySue (21943)
It sounds like it might be an interesting book. I do wonder if the author did research into cults and wove a story around what she learned.
I sort of enjoy those disturbing reads. May check it out. Thanks!
Sounds like an interesting story and not typical.