It hardly seems fair...

For 4-5 weeks, I battle the leaves in the fall. Lots of trees, lots of leaves, lot of cleaning them up. And after countless days with the rake or the riding mower and the leaf trailer, I am finally finished. NO. MORE. LEAVES. And for a week or so, the yard is nice and neat and clean. THEN the gumballs start falling. The Squirrel Tree out front is actually an American Sweet Gum tree. And it has thousands of these spiky seed pods every year. For some reason they don't fall off when the leaves do. Nope. They wait a week or two and THEN start falling. So what was a nice clean yard one day looks like the photo the next. And they won't fall all at once...oh, no. They'll slowly do it all...winter...long. THOUSANDS of them from one tree. By spring I'll be raking up wagons full of them to haul and dump at the end of the yard. I wonder if I can find a way to market them as decorations...maybe if I get some spray paint.
Do they have no use at all? Not even good to burn in a fireplace? May be you can try to spray them in gold and sell as Christmas decorations.
Would that be safe to burn them in the fireplace?
@marlina I have no idea, because I have never seen those fruits of the sweet gum tree. Some people here burn pine cones, they are excellent fire starters.
@LadyDuck I know about pine cones too.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
We have one of those trees too.
I don't think Dad fully realized what he was doing when he planted this one when the house was built.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@JolietJake is that the house you get up in? That's awesome.
@thislittlepennyearns Yep, that's just off the front porch here
Yes you can, I used to paint them silver and gold and display them, when I was all crafty and sh*t. I wished mine were maples but they are sweet gum, gumballs are a nice word for those balls of torture.
I'm just glad I only have the one, everything else is oak or maple.
@JolietJake close to the house I just have a hickory nut tree, all the others are on the sides of the cleared field or in th woods. I wish all of mine were maple or walnut. I want to tap them for syrup and I read the sweet gum can be tapped as well.
• Uzbekistan
You could 'harvest' them like olives are harvested. The olive farmers put a net on the ground and let the olives fall into the net. No raking there. Of course, the advantage is that all olives fall off at nearly the same time. Yet, think about it. In spring you could just roll up the net and dump it with the thingies inside. You could also occasionally invite some children from the neighbourhood and pay them some money for picking up the gumballs. Small children like picking up chestnuts, etc. Why not your gumballs?
I could also just cut the tree down, but Scar and the squirrels would get a bit ticked off.
Your work is never done! They would be pretty painted...that's an idea.
@akp100 (13391)
That's lot of them. It surely kind of messy thing specially when we just finished the cleaning. I could have just skipped them.
If we get a good snow it'll bring a lot more down...the weight of the snow makes them fall, but they get buried under it. Then it melts and the yard is completely covered with them.
@akp100 (13391)
@JolietJake Ohh.. so is this photo already after snow fall?! That sounds tricky one and must need lots of effort for cleaning them. So when you are going for them?
@akp100 Nope, it hasn't snowed yet...I'm just saying the snow brings down a LOT more of them.
They sounds a bit like our horse chestnut trees, though the conkers (horse chestnuts) fall a lot earlier than the leaves.
@JolietJake Horse chestnuts are only edible to sqirrels, sweet chestnuts are the ones we eat.
@jaboUK Squirrels...got a dozen of them...want a few?
@JolietJake No thanks - we're over-run with them too, though they are just boring grey ones.
@sallypup (29366)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Maybe you need to find something else to focus on?
It would be easier if, say, you'd come and do the yardwork for me
@sallypup (29366)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JolietJake Do you toss the not wanteds into a compost heap or just bag it for the garbage can?
@sallypup (29366)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JolietJake Cool beans!
Would they blow to one area with a leaf-blower thingy?
Nope, not unless you had one hurricane-force
@JolietJake Oh well, back to the broom.
it takes me at least til march to get all my leaves up-thanks to my neighbor's trees. i'm glad we don't have things that drop like that tho.a couple of neighbors have nut trees with the lil pods-they make an unholy mess.
These things are a royal pain
@ridingbet (60737)
oh, i am not sure if these seeds will grow roots?
I believe they could, but since we mow the yard where they fall they don't get a chance.
The squirrels don't find them tasty?
Nope.
@HazySue (23830)
Work, work, work. The only thing I can think to do with them is to gather them up, spray paint them, and sell them on e-bay as a crafting item. Who knows you may start a new trend.
@kobesbuddy (57458)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I've heard that Santa's elves collect gum balls, to drop over North Korea on Christmas Eve! Call Santa at 000-the North Pole, they even run a recycling service, through UPS!
@sabtraversa (13331)
Yes, it would be a good idea to turn them into decorations. Those poor trees spent a lot of their energies to make all those leaves and gumballs, you can't just throw them away like they were poo. Maybe you should cut them down and plant some (edible) fruit trees.
I do not pay attention to what is out in my garden. I just work on my PC and do indoor stuff to keep myself busy.
@FourWalls (15836)
And, of course, the squirrels won’t touch them for food....
You really do have a constant mess with those gumballs! I think maybe Scar could use them as toys on occasion. He is probably pretty good at batting those things around. I think the decoration thing is something to consider.
Their falling season begins right when you rake up that last leaf ! If only you could find a way to sell 'em . . .
Work is never done when you have a home. Always something to do.