What REALLY Needs to Be Changed in Health Care

@FourWalls (15820)
The "open enrollment" season for federal healthcare is closed for another year. Good, now I can open my e-mail again. Not that you did ask me, but if you ask me, the real problems with health care were never addressed by Congress. These things are still being ignored. It has been proved for years, if not decades, that poor dental hygiene has adverse effects on other parts of the human body. These dangers include heart attack, stroke, cancer, and dementia. And yet, your "health insurance" will treat all of the consequences but will NOT give anything for dental care. You'd think an ounce of prevention would be worth a pound of cure. Similarly, I'm befuddled as to how one "natural byproduct of aging" is covered by health insurance, while another is not. Of course, as any person over 55 knows, I'm talking about vision and hearing. Eye exams and glasses are covered. Hearing aids? No. Of course, my biggest gripe about health insurance is the artificially inflated costs. My doctor's office writes on the bill that my office visit is $150. However, they get $25 copay from me, about $25 from my insurance company, and write the other $100 off. Shouldn't they, therefore, be charging $50? After all, the only people who are going to pay $150 are the people who can't afford health insurance..and, by extension, can't afford a $150 doctor's office visit. Oh well. I'm good for another year. Here's Jackson Browne's first big hit, proving that they'll "doctor my eyes" by not my hearing :
"Doctor My Eyes" is a 1972 song written and performed by Jackson Browne and included on his debut album Jackson Browne. Featuring a combination of an upbeat ...
It's true that if you don't have health insurance the cost may go up even higher. Sometimes, I turn into the hulk with my anger at the injustice of our healthcare system. I lied--I really just turn into Captain Furious.
@FourWalls (15820)
The thing that bugs me is that so many of our hospitals were founded by religious institutions (that's why you have a "Saint somebody hospital" in nearly every city), ostensibly to care for the poor. Now, they're just as greedy as the "for-profit" hospitals.
@FourWalls I know what you mean. It's always bothered me that all hospitals are greedy money making machines, except maybe Saint Judes.
Some people are still renewing. It depends on the circumstance and when you first enrolled. Currently, while today was the end date for most, it is also the first-day others can renew. This may also depend on where you live and in New York dental is included in the care it's not a separate coverage. You get health, dental and eyes.
@FourWalls (15820)
I'm covered by "private" insurance through my days at the post office (not "Obamacare"). They do have dental and vision, but it's not worth the price you pay for it. I calculated that $360 a year will cover most of my dental work, while the "insurance" would only pay 25-50% of the cost of work. Why spend the extra money? Put the $360 in a tax-exempt medical savings account!
I never understood why dental care is never offered. Probably because someone would lose money because more people go to the dentist on a regular basis and get more procedures done than medical.
I do feel that dental care should be offered. If I let an issue with tooth go and an infection results, the infection goes to my kidneys and the kidneys stop working. Getting those kidneys working again costs a lot more than a visit to the dentist to remedy the tooth problem. Preventive medicine dental care happens to be. We have dental and vision through my employer and my husband's, but at quite a cost.
@dgobucks226 (14313)
Great song! Health care not so much... You are so right about the inflated doctor bills. Now that's criminal! Dental insurance has always been separate from medical. An oversight which should be corrected but is never addressed.
@Srbageldog (8254)
I receive very limited dental coverage, although I received a notice in the mail recently saying that my insurance now covers more dental procedures. Before it didn't even cover basic cleanings, apparently.
• Denver, Colorado
Luckily, I have the VA. I can't afford that kind of doctor visit.