I had a golf club in my hand, and I was terrified.

A few days ago I was sitting in the den with another family member. They were watching television while I played a game that I sometimes play. We were two of three people in the house, with one having just left. All of a sudden we hear a crashing sound as if a door was slammed. At first we assume that the crashing sound came from the relative who just left, and that he was angry. However, when we looked outside, it was evident he had been gone for a few minutes more than we had assumed. That is when I mentioned it could have been the other relative having fallen. I bolted toward the door that we heard slam, and found that it was wide open. Without thinking I ran down the hall to check on the relative, and she was sitting up in bed, having heard the crash as well. The hallway isn't very long and so it was no time before I was standing in front of the main door to the house where my other relative stood inspecting the door. That is when I took up a golf club resting nearby and began to search the house. In hindsight I should have gotten one with a fatter head, I guess the one I got was a putter, it's head skinny and somewhat flat. Down the hallway I went again, looking first in the bedroom to the right, and then across the hall into the bathroom. I walked toward my own bedroom door, but stopped short and peered into the open door on the right, and again across the hall to the left. I slammed my own door open, knowing the best possible hiding place in my room is behind the door. A quick check showed no one inside, and so I moved on down the hall again. I realize now that it probably would have been a good idea to atleast glance toward the living room as I walked by it, but my mind was set on going toward the add on bedroom turned computer room. Luckily enough for me, there was no one in either room. We had gone through the kitchen to get to the front door, and so that meant the house had been thoroughly searched. The door had slammed open because a gust of wind had knocked the screen door back toward the thresh and in doing so, creating a force that opened the main door. The main door is never fully shut. A habit of the relative who had just left, and one I could not break from them if I tried. Still, my heart had been racing, even as in the back of my mind, I knew there was very little likelihood of someone else being in the house. We have suspected an intruder in our house before, though it's been years since the incident. The only proof we had then was an open door, this time a different one, but nothing appeared to have been stolen.
I would have been terrified also, but it's great it was only the wind. I'm always glad to have my dog around for times like these.
@ScribbledAdNauseum That's scary, I want the door locked all the time.
@misunderstood_zombie Much safer that way. This neighborhood has had it's share of bad things that have happened in it. Probably some things we do not even know about. It's a relatively safe place now, and it was never truly unsafe, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Even in nice neighborhoods, bad things happen, so you're right to be cautious.
A putter will still make a nice weapon.
I would be worried that it's light weight would make it easier to be torn from my grip. I'm just glad I did not have to worry about that at the time.
@ScribbledAdNauseum - A five iron would work just as well!
@teamfreak16 Now you are speaking a language I don't understand.
@ElicBxn (60825)
A putter can do a lot of damage, so I think you made a pretty choice. I'm glad it was the wind as well, that is scary.
I just grabbed the first thing and started hunting. I don't know what caused me to be so brave, usually I would have ran down the hall and shut myself in my room.
@ElicBxn (60825)
@ScribbledAdNauseum I'd've been hunting, but I'm kind of crazy...
@ElicBxn Not crazy, brave.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Grinchette?
So you caught that, huh?
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
@dawnald Waiting to see if The Grinch catches it.
If I am at home I want any door not in sight to be locked. I do not blame you for being spooked.
When you were talking about the size of the golf club head I thought there was going to be a bad ending to this story. Glad that it was just the wind that caused it.
That was my intention, to make it seem scarier than it was. Of course when I grabbed that putter, I was really thinking I might have to use it. That was terrifying.
I would have been frightened too. My husband bought hornet spray for me when I am her alone. Hornet spray will blind a person, for good. I could spray an intruder in the face with hornet spray inside my home, but outside my home, I would be arrested for doing that. I also have a golf club.
I am glad you have a way to defend yourself. Unfortunately, we have so many golf clubs so close to the door,an intruder would have been equipped in an instant.
Did you sleep well that night?
Yes, since we deduced it was just the wind.I can also lock my bedroom door if necessary.
I don't dare look for danger. I call 911 that club could do limited damage to a strong man.
I normally do not either.
That must have been very scary. I was shaking while reading this. I am glad no one was there and nothing is missing. I hope you are ok.
@jerzgirl (7991)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Wow! At least you had a weapon at hand just in case and knew to throw the door open to hit a hider instead of just walking in blind. Good thinking!