what you see and hear

a man and a woman were chatting with the newspaper seller. as i received the newspapers, paid, and waited for my change, i heard them talking about their daily schedule - that turns out to be for betting and gambling. they all seem to treat it as their "me" time and will go to their "vice of choice" regularly. but i also get the feeling that they have family members that are overrelying on them, and this is their chance to have a bit of money for themselves. later, while at the money remittance center, a father and child came in. i blinked at how big the toddler was. i heard that he was only 2 yrs. old, but he looks like a sumo wrestler. no neck. huge thighs. the parents aren't even that tall.
I know what we hear and how others live can be very interesting. I always feel sorry for babies that are over fed, I think they grow up to be obese.
i do, too. i fear for this child.
@hereandthere That poor child.
• Preston, England
@andriaperry yes, it can be very dangerous for the growing youngster
• Preston, England
@hereandthere sounds like they are over-feeding the poor kid
to be fair, i don't really know the whole story. but i do notice there are more heavy kids and students now.
@Shiva49 (14299)
@hereandthere The present generation is bigger in size than the previous. Less children make for better nutrition and even over indulgence of food - siva
@Shiva49 my siblings and i are tall but we were thin growing up. i think because there weren't that many processed/instant food, street food, fastfood when we were growing up, and we were on a limited allowance.
@prashu228 (25529)
That's good if they are helping family. Children these days are having obesity issues
families usually help each other here, but sometimes you also need to save some for yourself and maybe for them, betting and gambling is their way to earn a bit. there were much lesser fast food, junk food and street food when my siblings and i were growing up.
@sol_cee (18249)
• Japan
You're a very keen observer. ;)
i prefer to see and hear my surroundings, which is why i never wore sunglasses or earphones. sometimes i wish i don't see what i see or hear what i hear!
@sol_cee (18249)
• Japan
@hereandthere In Japan, it's rude to stare at people. But in our country, it's common everywhere. ;)
@sol_cee i don't stay and gawk, though
@Shiva49 (14299)
Betting and gambling - it is tough to win. Hope they know their limits. Overfeeding children is making them unhealthy and the child is rather helpless. Parents should know better - siva
i had male officemates who gambled, but they all say they stick to a budget. win or lose, they leave.
I am always thankful to know people are happy treating themselves to what they want in life. I don't agree withover feeding children though.
i think most of us will help family, but feel the need to be selfish once in a while. i get concerned when i see children like that.
@rina110383 (24068)
I like chubby kids.
some are chubby and cute, but this one is too tall and too heavy for just 2 yrs. old.
I'm always sad when parents feed their kids too much. It's just not fair to the child to start off life this way.
@sjvg1976 (18401)
May be the kid is suffering from some disease.
@thelme55 (15295)
Oh my! I think they feed that kid junk food the whole day. Very unhealthy.
That baby does sound like a huge one. Hope the baby does not suffer health issues from being obese.
@JustBhem (44721)
• Davao, Philippines
I like cute toddlers just like our Basty when he was just 2 years old. And now he is 5, he is taller than a 5 years old. He is a very active boy.
@cherriefic (4805)
That's an interesting day for you.
@Madshadi (9016)
• Brussels, Belgium
Kids obesity problem seems to be on rise
@dodoazo (21731)
Whoever they are, what they have in life once they indulge in gambling, their lives would be soon miserable. But anyway, who can control them. They are doing that for they're ready to suffer whatever consequences may happen.
@cahaya1983 (10037)
I've heard how addictive gambling can be, probably what you heard just shows how true that is. But then again, everyone has a story. Oh and I hope the toddler isn't overfed or anything.
i can sense a defiant tone in their voices, like they want to be able to at least enjoy their own money, and not give everything to their family. i was concerned when i saw the child, but then we don't know the whole story, so let's just hope for the best.
@cahaya1983 (10037)
@hereandthere Strange that they think gambling is their best option to gain money for themselves though, instead of doing other jobs. I mean they could even lose money that way.
@cahaya1983 maybe they are retirees
It's interesting what you can find out just by hearing or seeing a slice of someone's life. About the "big" toddler - sadly that is the scenario out here with a lot of toddlers.
here, too. fastfood is a part of life here now. at the supermarket, there are rows and rows of junk food and drinks.
@hereandthere I see little ones with bags of chips in their hands - and sodas - it's terrible. Sometimes I will see a little child who is not even waist high to me and it looks like we share the same pants width - not kidding!
@kepweng (19191)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
your title is misleading i Thought it was a Gossip!
no, it's not
That poor child is being over fed.
i was surprise he was only 2 years old. the parents are young, not that tall and not heavy either, so it's a puzzle.
There are parents who intentionally make their kids fat. I don't like that. They think that fat kids are cute and healthy which is of course a misconception.
they start them that way, then when the child gets used to it, they can't discipline them anymore and say they're stubborn/disobedient.