Family Christmas party had a shockingly poor turn out

Both my kids were so excited for the annual family Christmas party last night. My daughter likes seeing her cousins and my son likes getting presents and I like eating lol. I baked chocolate cupcakes with mint chocolate chip frosting from scratch. I got compliments on them from quite a few people but seeing as I don’t like mint I don’t know why I keep trying these new minty recipes lol. I was shocked when I walked in ten minutes late ( I had to drop off a present first at my grandmothers house on the way.. her gift is the photo attached) and the place was nearly bare. There was only two tables people were sitting at. There was barely any food and no drinks at all. It was probably better for my son that there was less people. He had a good time and had lots of smiles and played with his cousins and even hugged his grandpa and sat on his lap. That NEVER happens! My daughter had a good time as well as she sat drawing and her cousins came over to visit with her. My son got a beautiful white leopard fuzzy blanket from his aunt and uncle which was wonderful and unexpected. He came right home and cuddled up on the couch with it to watch YouTube. I added up who all went to the party and there was 27 adults and 26 kids. There usually is 60 adults and 40 kids. One person had open heart surgery a few weeks ago, 2 families were on a cruise, 2 families had moved to Florida and one woman had been in court recently for stealing $11,000 from the place she worked so I can understand why all of them weren’t there. No idea about the rest.
that is good your kids as a good time You have a large family there will be seven kids and 14 adults at our family party on Christmas Eve, and that is all of us!
Wow that is small for all of you. This was all the aunt and uncles and their kids and grandkids. My Christmas dinner will only be my parents, my sister and I and our 6 kids.
@shaggin that is with my aunt and uncle. I only have one aunt and uncle and no parents. Plus I only have three cousins. One sister and her husband and son. i always wondered what it would be like to have a large family!
@Marty1 my mom and dads side of the family is large too but no one gets along anymore so we haven’t gotten together for holidays in years.
That still seems a lot of party to me. All that matters is that you and your family had a good time.
It sounds like a lot but is so small for what I am used to.
@FayeHazel (18007)
Wow... I would be overwhelmed with 27 adults and 26 kids. I thought that was the big number.
It seemed like the place was empty as I’m so used to it being packed.
@FayeHazel (18007)
@shaggin By comparison I bet it was shocking for you
Again, sorry it wasn't how you expected. But does sound kinda good the way it was.. Yikes, why would she waste time stealing, especially from work. Most get caught.
I can’t even imagine why she did this. I liked her the times I have talked to her so I never expected this. I wonder if she needed it for a car or something major and thought she could pay it back before anyone noticed. I have no idea really but sad hearing about it. She is probably so ashamed right now..and should be!
@shaggin we never know but still no excuse. She should be. Definitely.
That sounds like quite a lot of people at the party to me. So glad a good time was still had by most.
When your in good company its easy to have a good time. My kids were in a good mood and so I was happy.
I am glad your children had fun. Yes I would bake food I like too, just in case no one brought foods you like.
I just like to try new recipes and these cupcakes looked yummy but since I don’t like mint I shouldn’t have expected to like them.
@BarBaraPrz (19824)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
You have a mighty big family, to say the least. Why wasn't your grandmother there? Is she the one who had open heart surgery?
My grandmother is on my fathers side of my family. We haven’t gotten together for holidays with them since I was very small. This party was my in-laws.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
That's a lot of money. Did they prove it was her?
Yep I only know about it because I saw a bunch of people showed the story of it on the news.
Still, we had some people.
Yes there was about half and a smaller group is easier on my son who is very nervous around people.
Just as long as you and your kids had fun, it shouldn't matter how many were there.
I feel bad so many people missed out on it though but my kids had fun and that’s the most important thing to me.
@shaggin It's their choice, and of course, your children come first!
@DianneN yes thank you!
@LeaPea2417 (20383)
• Toccoa, Georgia
At least some of them showed up. Glad your kids had fun.
My son is nervous around people so it worked out better for him that there were less people.
@LeaPea2417 (20383)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@shaggin That is good.
@Deepizzaguy (12999)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Just be thankful for the good times this holiday season and hope for the best the next day.
I'm glad my kids enjoyed the party thats all that really matters to me.
@Deepizzaguy (12999)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@shaggin That is true.
who cares about the others.It is you and your family there.
I feel bad they missed it but I’m glad my kids had a good time.
@shaggin right.The children had a great time.
@sjvg1976 (18386)
Glad to know that your son had a fun in the party. We feel upset when the party doesn't turn up like we had thought of.
It wasn't a party I had planned so I wasn't dissappointed but I was surprised how few people attended.
@averygirl72 (16656)
That sounds an early Christmas family get together. You have a big family. At least you enjoy the company of family and the foods
I usually love the food but there was barely anything there This family is my in-laws and they always do it the same weekend each year. The man I am dating now private messaged me while I was at the party 5 years ago and we've been together on and off since then.
It sounds like a plenty good party to me. I am glad your children had a good time.
The only real issue was eating food and not having any drinks. Usually I take drinks to parties so I know my kids have something there they like but this time I didn't and it was actually really badly needed. People were walking to the store in the cold to buy drinks from the vending machines but I didn't have a penny on me.
I'm glad that your children were happy, and that looks a lovely gift for your grandmother.
I hope she likes it. The candle smells amazing and the chocolates are delicious. I don't know her well to know what she likes.
That seems like a lot of people to me, but I can see where it's lacking for you since half are missing. I'm glad your children had a good time.
Yes for me it seemed so much less then what I am used to. It worked better for my son having fewer people around. My kids had a good time that’s all that matters to me.
@sallypup (27077)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Everyone who showed had a good time. That's what matters.
That is true
@thelme55 (14571)
I am glad you and the kids still enjoy the party. That what matters. I wonder what happened though to the others.
I wonder as well why there was only half the amount of people. A girl today told me she didn't know anything about the party and I was surpised. She is no longer dating the family member but I think since her two kids are family she should have been welcome to attend just like my kids and I.