St Basil's Cathedral - such stunning beauty

St Basil's Cathedral, Moscow
Derby, England
We visited Moscow in August this year and one of the most beautiful places we visited was this cathedral. The full name of this building is the Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed and it was built in the time of Ivan The Terrible and rumour has it that the architect had his eyes burned out so that he couldn't build anything like it to make this less impressive. This is probably just a gory story as the name of the architect came up after this date as architect of similar churches in Russia At the time of the Revolution the Bolsheviks wanted to destroy this church and luckily this never happened.In Soviet times this, like all churches were taken over and this became a museum. It is still a museum today and has been part of the Moscow Kremlin and Red Square UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990. It is a beautiful building which looks stunning in the day and at night when they light it up. This is actually group of churches not just one. It is shaped like flames from a bonfire. The building consists of a central church with eight side churches. The central church and four surrounding churches are octagonal in plan while the four diagonally placed churches are cuboid. The eight side churches have onion domes, while the central one has a low spire with smaller onion dome over it.The onion domes were added in the end of the 16th century. This was the building that I was most looking forward to seeing and it didn't disappoint in any way.
Beautiful!!! It's on my bucket list! Both sets of grandparents are from Russia. I met Putin in London, but that's another story. Lol!
• Derby, England
@DianneN Wow that is a story. Not someone I admire politically but Wow!!
@catsholiday Neither do I admire him. Going to Russia from the USA right now is a bit scary for us.
• Derby, England
@DianneN I think you would be safe as a tourist
• Preston, England
it does look a stunningly beautiful set of buildings
• Derby, England
@arthurchappell It was almost unreal - like a model or a toy building
• Preston, England
@catsholiday it does look like something from a fantasy novel
@Wogiam (66)
The Cathedral looks stunning. I can only imagine how it is inside. Classis work it is. Thank you for sharing this with us.
• Derby, England
@Wogiam We didn't go inside as it was really busy but outside was beautiful enough
I never visited Moscow but I imagine that it's a beautiful city. I am a bit concerned going to Russia.
• Derby, England
@LadyDuck It is a lovely city but I bet it is cold in winter !!
@catsholiday I think that the whole Russian continent is cold in winter.
• Derby, England
@LadyDuck I agree too cold for me!
That is gorgeous!! It looks so magical.
• Derby, England
@LovingMyBabies It looks stunning in real life even better than the photos
@catsholiday I'm sure it does!
@averygirl72 (16617)
I see this in pictures. Those onion domes are beautiful. I love it
• Derby, England
@averygirl72 It looks even better in real life than in the pictures
@rina110383 (24068)
I love the design and architecture of those churches!
• Derby, England
@rina110383 They are stunning and so different from anything else
@sol_cee (18249)
• Japan
Ivan the Terrible must have been proud of this legacy. ;)
• Derby, England
@sol_cee He had more than this beautiful building as his legacy as he was pretty terrible - slaughtering thousands
What a splendid architectural visual delight ! The last cathedral I was in had to be the one where Michealangelo painted the ceiling, yep the Sistene Chapel
Wow it sure is stunning. My son and I learned about this in his art class last year (he does cyber school). I hope that gory story is just a tale. Did you get to tour the inside of the cathedral?