Glitter, Glitter, Everywhere!!
December 18, 2017 3:07am CST
I just finally got finished filling out Xmas cards and am ready to drop them off in the mail. The cards had glitter around the edges and it rained down all over my desk, my floor, and even on me. I have decided that I hate glitter! My cat probably has glitter on his paws now. I hope it won't harm him if he ingests a little. I googled it earlier and everything I read said it's not harmful in small amounts -- unless it's glass glitter, which is made from ground up glass. Why the hell do they sell glitter made from glass?? Anyway, I suppose this is just regular glitter, otherwise I'd assume the cards would have to come with some kind of warning. I certainly wouldn't want ground up glass raining down all over my home! I think next year I will opt for cards that don't have any glitter on them. Glitter truly is the herpes of the crafting world: once you come in contact with it, you can't get rid of it.
7 people like this
• United States
I saw a video recently of someone's cat, who rolled around in the bathtub after she forgot to clean it out after using a glitter bath bomb...the cat looked like a disco ball, the way he sparkled. Poor thing wasn't happy when he got to take a bath.
• Cambridge, England
Most glitter is made from plastic. While it may not be dangerous to us or our pets when ingested in small amounts, it is definitely contributing to the microplastics which are polluting and harming our enviroment. Please do not use glitter in your craft projects and don't buy cards or any other seasonal decorations with glitter on them. When it falls off, it may be swept away but a great deal of it will end up eventually being dumped in land-fill or washed into drains and, eventually into rivers and out to sea. Actually, glitter is probably less harmful than the mictobeads which are used in cosmetics and cleaning products but it is certainly one of the things which we should not be encouraging in this fragile world!
Glitter seems like a harmless bit of fun, but its environmental impact has led some scientists to call for it to be banned. Most glitter is made from plastic, and the small size of its particles makes it a potential ecological hazard, particularly in the o
• United States
I was just reading about this the other night when I was googling whether glitter was "safe" for animals to be around. It never even occurred to me that it was polluting our planet -- or that microbeads were polluting our waterways! Cleaning products actually freak me out, I've been trying to use "green" products to clean with these days because I hate the thought of toxic chemicals being used in my home. Thanks for sharing the article!