Glitter, Glitter, Everywhere!!

Image Source: Pixabay
I just finally got finished filling out Xmas cards and am ready to drop them off in the mail. The cards had glitter around the edges and it rained down all over my desk, my floor, and even on me. I have decided that I hate glitter! My cat probably has glitter on his paws now. I hope it won't harm him if he ingests a little. I googled it earlier and everything I read said it's not harmful in small amounts -- unless it's glass glitter, which is made from ground up glass. Why the hell do they sell glitter made from glass?? Anyway, I suppose this is just regular glitter, otherwise I'd assume the cards would have to come with some kind of warning. I certainly wouldn't want ground up glass raining down all over my home! I think next year I will opt for cards that don't have any glitter on them. Glitter truly is the herpes of the crafting world: once you come in contact with it, you can't get rid of it.
I hate glitters they go everywhere and you can never know which material are made from.
I emailed the manufacturer and asked what the glitter is made of, and they actually responded. Fortunately it is not made from glass, and is nontoxic.
@Srbageldog I am glad that you cat is not in danger.
@LadyDuck Me too!
@Destesh (203)
• Kenya
Wait till you start washing out the glitter.... A lot of tiring work all for nothing
It's impossible to get rid of all of it.
@Destesh (203)
• Kenya
@Srbageldog ????now you've learnt a lesson.. Next time go for less glitter
@Destesh Or no glitter!
that's a good way of putting it. boo has glitter butt from sitting under the tree the old silly head.
I saw a video recently of someone's cat, who rolled around in the bathtub after she forgot to clean it out after using a glitter bath bomb...the cat looked like a disco ball, the way he sparkled. Poor thing wasn't happy when he got to take a bath.
@Srbageldog i think i saw that-real angry lookin black cat..
@scarlet_woman Yep, that was the one.
I never thought of that one. I do like a card that sparkles though. Next year I'll have to keep that one in mind.
I emailed the company that manufactured the cards and asked. They actually responded. Their glitter is made from nontoxic poly based material.
@Srbageldog that was a great idea to email the company. I wouldn't have thought to do that. Can't believe they actually responded to you!
@ElusiveButterfly I know, I was surprised myself!
@jobelbojel (7129)
I wish it is not the glass glitter.
I don't think it is. At least I hope they wouldn't sell cards with glass glitter without some kind of warning on the package!
@Srbageldog I believe a warning is appropriate if there is any.
@owlwings (39226)
• Cambridge, England
Most glitter is made from plastic. While it may not be dangerous to us or our pets when ingested in small amounts, it is definitely contributing to the microplastics which are polluting and harming our enviroment. Please do not use glitter in your craft projects and don't buy cards or any other seasonal decorations with glitter on them. When it falls off, it may be swept away but a great deal of it will end up eventually being dumped in land-fill or washed into drains and, eventually into rivers and out to sea. Actually, glitter is probably less harmful than the mictobeads which are used in cosmetics and cleaning products but it is certainly one of the things which we should not be encouraging in this fragile world!
Glitter seems like a harmless bit of fun, but its environmental impact has led some scientists to call for it to be banned. Most glitter is made from plastic, and the small size of its particles makes it a potential ecological hazard, particularly in the o
I was just reading about this the other night when I was googling whether glitter was "safe" for animals to be around. It never even occurred to me that it was polluting our planet -- or that microbeads were polluting our waterways! Cleaning products actually freak me out, I've been trying to use "green" products to clean with these days because I hate the thought of toxic chemicals being used in my home. Thanks for sharing the article!
@amnabas (10282)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Please keep her safe. Enjoy your awaiting celebrations.
Thank you.