How Low Can You Go?

This time of year you'll find so many posts on Facebook where people state they cannot give their child/children Christmas gifts. They also cry that they need diapers, formula, etc. One such post caught my eye and I almost reached out to them, until I read a comment in the post. They people asking for items received things they asked for. After receiving them, they posted the items for sale in a Facebook tag sale site. The items were for the children, diapers actually. Keep them for the children, don't sell them. Do you give to those in need?
That is an awful thing to do. There is no way I'd give through FB - not under normal circumstances anyway.
I see more people begging for gifts for their children lately. I would have been embarrassed to do such a thing.
@ElusiveButterfly I would never do that - never ever. I might beg for money for medical procedures but never for gifts for Christmas.
@JudyEv I always made sure to save money to buy my children gifts. They didn't always get the name brands, but they were happy!
I don't do the FB thing, so would never donate thru that site. I am very careful where I donate.
I am careful as well. Even organizations that seem to be legit can be shady.
I've come across several people like that, unfortunately. I normally don't 'give' unless it is through an organization.
We have a giving tree and also do food baskets through our organization. I do give to that, but rarely to people who out of the blue realize that they can't give gifts to their children.
So many people are abusing the system now. I am extremely careful to whom I give.
They play upon the sympathies of people who have big hearts.
I don't understand people. If they need the items, makes sense to me they would be grateful and use them for the purpose they asked for them. Not turn around and sell them on Facebook.
I was shocked when I read through the comments. At first people were opening their hearts and wallets to help these people. Then there were posts showing the items that were donated up for sale.
@ElusiveButterfly I would be shocked as well. Good thing you didn't give to their misleading cause.
@just4him I have a couple of gifts that I found that I have no use for and am going to donate them to those in need.
Not the fake people online. I only give to those I see with my own eyes in need.
I will help out if a friend has asked. When they ask it is because they do know the parties who are in need and I know it is a genuine need.
I don't like or have a Facebook page. My favorite places to give to are the Salvation Army and the humane society where we adopted our dogs and the Best Friends Animal Society.
I do. I donate to the Epilepsy Foundation and to Vietnam Veterans. Also, I always donate money to our animal shelter, West Suburban Animal Shelter. I am so glad I abandoned FB so many years ago. Just not my cup of tea.
I never see those types of posts on Facebook. We do donate money to our favorite charities regularly.
That's awful! Yes we do, but we also make sure the people actually need what they say first.
I give to charities that distribute to the right people.
depends on what it is. i'm more liable to donate for ill pets.i know how i'd feel in the same boat.
we sure do.Do our best with everyone there.We are doing coats for the children and the homeless.
@Morleyhunt (20946)
I tend to be quite choosy who I donate to. I've become cynical...when my children were small, my husband worked hard at his job....we didn't rely on charity, but learned to be frugal. Clothing came from hand me downs and thrift shops. We made what we could...we made do. Other siblings were on "welfare" and managed vacations and new clothes....not bitter, but very aware of the disparity.