Too old to die young

Bunbury, Australia
A friend sent me an email regarding a calendar put out by a German nursing home. Various residents appear in each month. Professional photographers and make-up artists were used to create some very classy photos. The stances are all iconic so James Bond is there together with classic poses from Dirty Dancing, Easy Rider, Cabaret, Titanic and others. However it is the last quotation that hit home with me. It reads ‘Do not regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many.’ So that is something to ponder on for us oldies. Be grateful for every day above ground. As I said to Vince just a day or two ago ‘we’re now too old to die young’. He and I need to remember to be grateful for the fact that we are still alive. The photo is of Queen Victoria in George Square, Glasgow, Scotland, with an irreverent seagull perched on her head. Isn't it a beautiful model of the horse?
This passed year reminds me to love each day.
Me too. We've lost a few friends this year and others definitely are showing their age.
@Daelii (5901)
I love that quote. I've been worried a bit lately. I'm getting close to the age my mom was when she passed away. :(
I felt the same way, I made it and so can you.
My mother got to 104 so I'm not worrying for the same reason as you at least. I know it's natural to worry a bit but many live longer than their parents did.
We were lucky to see that very statue in Glasgow!!! I recognized it instantly when I opened your page, and it's been a little over five years since I saw it. At least my old memory isn't gone, yet! That is a very wise quote, and one which we try very hard to live by.
It's a lovely statue isn't it? We've been watching Victoria on the TV and it's a very interesting show. Did you see this statue too?
@WriterAI (5231)
• Bulgaria
@JudyEv I didn't see it. That's why thank you for your very informative post.
@WriterAI You're welcome.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
Some people have the best times of their lives when they get older.
That is very true. It all depends on your outlook doesn't it?
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JudyEv very much
When my grandmother complained saying that it's not funny to grow old, I told her all the time to think at the alternative.
Yes, the alternative isn't very attractive is it?
@JudyEv No it's not, unless you are sick and no more active and capable to do everything on your own. I would not like to live like a vegetable.
@LadyDuck I think that would be a terrible fate.
Your right it is a beautiful model there.Thank you for your interesting article.Good morning from here
Sometimes the statues are so high up it's hard to get a nice photo.
@JudyEv yes there are some way up to high.Like in Italy
@amadeo Yes and all you can do is take a photo looking up at them.
The Queen and horse look rather elegant.. I do wonder what that seagull is thinking.
It's a lovely statue isn't it? I think he is thinking 'what a great view from here'.
Yes, we really need to focus on the fact that we are still alive and make the most of it.
It's easy to get a bit sad about all our aches and pains but we're very lucky really.
• Eugene, Oregon
I have been so fortunate with my health that I often think about being to old to die young. I recently announced to the group I play ping pong with that we certainly got past early onset Alzheimer's.
Do you know I hadn't thought about early onset Alzheimer's but I guess you're right. Something else to be thankful for.
@1hopefulman (32419)
‘Do not regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many.’ That is a different spin on old age. Interesting!
It is good to be reminded that it is almost a privilege to grow old.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I like that quotation. It certainly applies to me because I passed that danger a long time ago.
We forget sometimes that others would give a lot to reach our age.
The key, I think, is staying busy. One of my favorite song lyrics, by Maynard James Keenan: "Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing"
I would have to agree with that. My mother lived to 104 and was in her own home until she was 99. Not having enough to keep herself occupied in the nursing home was a constant source of frustration for her. At the finish, her sight had gone and she was nearly deaf. She used to fold towels for the laundry ladies just so she had something to do.
@JudyEv - I used to work in a military grocery store in Denver. It was very easy to tell the difference between the retirees that were active and the ones that weren't.
@yanzalong (10174)
The horse? I think it is. Aging is unavoidable process, isn't it?
It is unavoidable and we need to remember that we are very lucky to be getting older.
@yanzalong (10174)
@JudyEv That's right. I agree with you.
I'm too old to die young also. That calendar must be very nice. I agree, that is a good statue of the horse and Queen Victoria. Yes, the seagull is irreverent.
Seagulls and pigeons make a terrible mess of statues sometimes.
@JudyEv I'm sure they do.
@YrNemo (14703)
Thanks for pointing that seagull out. I did check the photo in the beginning, admiring the horse, but couldn't work out what that white top 'thing' was that sit on a horse. Thought it was a kind of a fancy torch . Now that you explained, I could see very clearly some handsome figure sitting there on that beautiful horse, with the despicable and illiterate seagull which didn't learn enough history, hence, had no respect for that queen!
Pigeons are as bad aren't they? Maybe worse as they're quite happy to shat all over statues.
@YrNemo (14703)
There's a lot of truth to that quote.
It's easy to get hung about our aches and pains and forget that some don't get the chance to live past adulthood.
@JudyEv My Dad passed when he was 73, but after the fact I realized that he had been dying for a couple of years and that although 73 is considered to be quite young, for him it was not.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
Yes, we need to all remember that each day alive is a precious gift. What worries me is the saying, only the good die young. Am I allowed to dispute that?
You certainly can and I'd back you up on it.
@hostessman (9950)
• Tucson, Arizona
yes i agree you either grow old or you disappear
Exactly.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
We should enjoy each and every moment of life and should not worry about our age.
That's very true. We are very lucky to still be here and we should be thankful for that.
That is a great quote, and really helps to change my ideas. Thanks for that!
We can get bogged down with being old sometimes. It's good to remember not all get the opportunity.