That Stuff Could Possibly Kill a Person!

I never wanted to learn to cook or bake, I do not like to cook or bake, and I will definitely avoid cooking and baking whenever I can. I do not use spices in or on my food. For me, it is just a bit of salt and NEVER pepper! My husband likes to cook. He likes to bake too. My husband has a wide variety of spices and bottles of this, that, and the other to use in his creations. I do love to organize, though. I decided to organize my husband's bottles of spices, grated stuff, powders, herbs, and all that jazz. I happened to look at the expiration date on a container of grated Parmesan cheese. Hmmm, "SELL BY 02/16/04." I would think a 14-year-old container of grated Parmesan cheese could kill a person if ingested. I did toss a few more of those bottles that had expired, but the winner of the past-the-expiration-date goes to the grated Parmesan cheese.
Bad, bad husband! Good, good wife!
I was glad I saved the day by tossing that stuff. I mean, if a guy owns spices, a guy should toss out the expired ones.
Now that was some aged cheese.
I should have tested it out on my husband to see if he suffered any bad effects, but I may have a sick husband on my hands.
I occasionally find out-dated stuff in my cupboards, but nothing as old as that. I'm like you - just salt, no pepper or other additives, and I don't like cooking or baking either.
I think that is the oldest food item we have owned. It set a record.
• Pamplona, Spain
I love to make stew even in the summer its a great comforter to put in all the good fresh veggies I can find with a teeny bit of chicken to go with it. I would never make it to be a "Master Chef" but who cares? I love what I cook although its not that much.
you should get rid of them.They have no value now
I am glad I did. 14-year-old Parmesan cheese most certainly would not be safe to eat.
@sallypup (27095)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Oh. You mean one of those shelf stable parmesan products? I grew up eating that stuff- I think it is like a Twinkie. You can't kill it. You don't sprinkle garlic powder on your food for flavor?
No, just salt for me. I just decided to toss it due to its age of 14 years. Perhaps it was still good, but easier to toss it.
@sallypup (27095)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Wow that's old. My ankles swell too easily so I have cut back on salt and doubled on garlic powder. I think cheese is crammed with salt and that was one of my fav yummies.
@sallypup I have really cut back on sugar. I have discovered that sugar is my enemy. I was waking at 4 a.m. every morning due to eating something with sugar at night. Switched to a handful of nuts, for protein before bed, and now I sleep until 7:15 a.m., the time I want to wake up. Salt is a problem for many of us, and I really go light when I add a bit of salt. I developed kidney disease at age 5, so low-salt is the way I go. If my kidneys flair up, which has only happened 3 times since age 5, it is no-salt until they up and working again.
I'm with you on that! Toss it! I like to keep everything fresh. I squeeze bread at the store because soft bread is fresh, and hard loafs are not. I smell the tomatoes, if they don't smell like they are coming right off the vine I won't buy them and a firm tomato will last longer too. I'm the same with medicine expiration dates, perfumes, and shampoos.
You really are on top of freshness and expiration dates!!! I am glad I got rid of the expired bottles and containers.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
See what I mean about 'stuff' being treated with God only knows what @Corbin5 ? It was probably still good.
Oh, I am sure plenty of preservatives were in that container.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 well now see? We don't have to worry about being embalmed.
Your husband loves to cook, bake and shop, what a good guy. I'm glad you caught the date on that.
He really does enjoy all those things for some strange reason. That was a way-past-the-due-date item, for sure.
@Corbin5 That date is really scary. I think I'll go check ours.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I had no idea you didn't cook, my husband is the chef in my house too but he checks dates and tosses anything that is out of date. I like to bake and will be doing cookies for our kids for Christmas. Our Parmesan doesn't last a year, pasta is a favorite in my house. 14 years is about 13 years too late...
I agree. 14-year-old grated Parmesan is definitely meant for the garbage can. I can cook, which I had to do when our son was growing up, but it was meat, potato, and vegetable cooking. Our son grew to be 6'1" which is giant-status in our family, so my cooking must have worked for him.
@Corbin5 I’m just like you, when the kids were young, I cooked, if he was around ( he was a football coach) he cooked not because I couldn’t cook, but he liked to play in the kitchen...since retired, I let him do whatever he wants in the kitchen, as long as I don’t have to cook for the masses...
@PainsOnSlate We are fortunate that they cook. He enjoys it and is also retired. I just do not have the patience for it and want to do other things..
• Peoria, Arizona
If it was any other spice I would have thought that was gross but cheese grows with age unless it is exposed to moisture, other than that it cannot really hurt anyone because in reality...cheese is already spoiled milk. Haha!
Well, I should have tried it out on my husband, but ya just never know what old stuff will do to an older fellow. I am glad I tossed it.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Corbin5 Whatever makes you feel safe!
Unless there is a scent of 'mold' in the cheese, Parmesan is a very resilient hard cheese that can stay in a container for years as it does not continue aging in the container just attracting moisture if it can . . .
Well, I did not have the courage to sniff it, and I just tossed it.
@Corbin5 aw such cheesy abuse ! hee hee
Deborah, you are lucky to have found the right person that loves to cook and bake. Good thing you wanted to organize the spices and found the bottles that are past the expiration date.
Yes, cooking by one person and organizing by the other makes for a pretty good routine.
@Corbin5 Yes you could say that Deborah.
@alberello75 (17515)
• Genova, Italy
For what reason, do you keep packs expired long ago? I think, you're still lucky to have a husband who cooks. Not like my father!
It was in the back of all those spices and I think we just forgot about it. Yes, I am so glad my husband is such a good cook because I want nothing to do with it.
@alberello75 (17515)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 On the contrary, my mother is cooking in my house. My father is not suitable for preparing lunch!
Ew. Lol. We stopped using all but pepper, salt and garlic salt last year. But forgot to throw out the other spices. So this Summer we went to throw them and two had 2014 on them . Not as bad as 04 but boy..
O4 is really bad, and I have to say, embarrassing.
Gross!
That thing was way in the back and we just forgot all about it.
@Corbin5 oh I totally get that. My spice/herb shelves are jam-packed too.
@clucky (19)
Oh goodness! That Parmesan had a few birthdays in your cupboard.
It sure did. Hope the other spices celebrated with the Parmesan.
thats dangerous its good that u alread notice the expiration date
Yes, I am glad I did toss the expired spices.
@Icydoll (19627)
Omg stay away from those expired ones.
I am glad I threw the expired ones away.
That is quite old, and I would imagine that if you didn't throw it out that someone could have gotten quite sick on it. I prefer freshly grated parm cheese, although I do keep some grated in the fridge for some sauces that I make.
Well, we will keep the new Parmesan cheese in the fridge from now on. That one was way in the back and went unnoticed for years.
It's way past its expiration date so I think it could make one very sick when that is being used on foods. The expiration dates are our guides when not to take the expired consumable foods anymore.
I did toss it. It was way in the back and we had forgotten all about it.