I Get to Keep Listening to the Music

@FourWalls (13327)
What is the worst thing that can happen to a music lover? Of course: hearing problems. A couple of months ago I thought that’s what I was facing. I went to the audiology clinic and the ENT clinic at the VA for a weird “phantom” noise in my ear. That turned out to be tinnitus (it’s speculated that Van Gogh had either that or Ménière's disease, causing him to cut his ear off [if he heard the constant, loud weather radio tone I’ve heard a few times, I can’t say I’d blame him!!]). The follow-up appointment was today. There is hearing loss, but nothing out of the ordinary. The doctor classified it as “mild” and “age-related” (in other words, a lot of people in their late 50s hear about the same way I do). Tubes won’t help the tinnitus, given that there’s nothing structurally wrong with my ears (that’s always a good sign!), so they’re going to try hearing aids. Say what? (Yes, I said that to my doctor, and apologized immediately: “I’m sorry, I know you hear that 20,000 times a day.”) I have an audiology appointment next month where we go through the process of getting hearing aids. It may not work, but I don’t have anything to lose....except the ringing in my ear. Best of all, I can keep on listening to the music!!!!! Thank God!!
Their first big hit from 1972. LYRICS: Don't you feel it growin', day by day People gettin' ready for the news Some are happy, some are sad Oh, we got to let...
The perfect song!
I hope that works out well for you, and you can still hear the music.
I have no middle range in my hearing, which they discovered during my physical before I left to basic. I blame loud music!
take care of yourself brother
@BarBaraPrz (19602)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
First off, Vincent didn't cut his ear off. He severed part of his left ear with a razor in a rage after a confrontation with Gaugin. I've had tinnitis for 50 years and have never thought to cut off my ears. Let me know if the hearing aids have any effect against it.
@dgobucks226 (11538)
Glad there is nothing seriously wrong with your hearing. Peter Townshend always comes to mind when I think of musicians with hearing loss. I know it was a big issue during his career and he even considered not touring (our loss). Anyway, good there are no "Tommy can you hear me" issues going on with you. I have hearing loss also, but not to the hearing aid point, although I'm sure my friends would disagree
@dgobucks226 (11538)
yup.my left ear doesn't work anymore..it's a hereditary thing in my case. i was telling my husband i should get dj headphones from now on 'cause i only need one..
• Dallas, Texas
I hope that helps. I have Tinnitus. It sounds like several distant locusts chiming close by. It is constant, 24/7 and the only way for me to sleep is to have a fan running at night. Hope you find a way to get rid of your ringing in your ears. Meantime, play the music, but don't blast it like I sometimes do.
@mrki444 (916)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Your hearing problem is not only problem for listening music. It's also for keeping job, traffic, walking on street. Center for balance is in ear so you can have problems with that.