Merry Christmas to the Heartbroken

@josie_ (6547)
Tis the season to be happy but what about those who will be "Home for Christmas, if only in my dreams"? They are the soldiers fighting in far flung corners of the world because their country's government send them there to protect the business interest of the rich. They are the OFW's (Overseas filipino workers) who have to leave love ones to work abroad because the government mandated minimum wages isn't enough to sustain their family living expenses. They are the homeless, the abandoned street urchins, the teenage runaways from broken families, the forgotten elderly in nursing homes, the incarcerated. Of tears and shadows Tears, rivulets of crystal pain tracing the nebulous past Shadows, monochrome of grey sadness brooding the bleak horizon Love, a discourse in hopelessness why do we even bother? Merry Christmas and goodwill to all. Now pass me the bottle that I may drown my sorrow.
For many people this is the most depressing moment of the year. Depressing for those who have no one, depressing for those who see those they love dying in the bed of a hospital. If Christmas cannot be Merry, let's hope that they can at least enjoy a moment of Peace and Joy.
@josie_ (6547)
How is your mom? Will you be spending time with her on Christmas? I pray you find the strength and peace of mind to help you over this difficult period of what should have been a joyful season.
@josie_ Mom is not well, there are days she does not even open the eyes. I go to see her tomorrow, it's Sunday it should be a more quiet day on the crowded holiday roads. The day of Christmas my brother will stay there.
They need to make the best of the situation they are in. I know many in a few of these situations you speak of. They are not wollowing in tears. They will have people around them and food on the table. Now those on the street corners I feel bad for. No matter where they are someone is thinking of them .Sending a care package something. Can you pass a bum and not hand over a dollar? I was homeless on Christmas one year I was very happy. A roof and food was all I wanted. it's not all bad.
@josie_ (6547)
The Filipino family is often an extended one. Not unusual to have relatives even distant ones to be staying in one's home for relatively long duration of time. I would not want to experience what you went through as a homeless. Bless those people who make time and effort to bring Christmas to the less fortunate.
I think millions of people feel that way this year, so many natural disasters have claimed homes and even some lives and left families with little or no funding for even the most basic of needs. It's really sad and I pray they get help.
@josie_ (6547)
Whenever a natural calamity strikes, private citizens are there to lend assistance to their neighbors but it should be the gov't which must shoulder the main responsibility of rehabilitation and returning lives in these devastated areas back to normalcy. However gov't efforts have often been wanting. Two cases come to mind, hurricane Katrina in the US and Typhoon Yolanda here in the Philippines.
This year has been horrendous here @josie_ first was Hurricane Harvey then Hurricane Maria then the fires in lower southeastern Canada then fire in California which is still going on. I think our government is over whelmed with the millions of people who are in need of assistance here.
@josie_ (6547)
@rebelann _Gov't bureaucracy are the same anywhere. They're slow and inefficient. Also too much politics. More aid and assistance are given to election districts that voted for incumbent officials.
@YrNemo (11188)
Merry Christmas to you and family.
@josie_ (6547)
I hope you and your love ones had a Merry Christmas with much toasting.
@YrNemo (11188)
@josie_ Oh dear, your comment and wishes just reminded me that I have two slices of fruit bread in the toaster! I was supposed to butter them say, 4 hours ago!
@josie_ (6547)
@YrNemo _They're toast.
I'm sorry you're feeling sad for the homeless and the homesick. I too find it very hard to think how much some people have and how little others have. Thank God for all those who work and care for those less fortunate.
@josie_ (6547)
It's hard not to feel empathy for those less fortunate during Christmas. This post was originally intended to be a poem only. It was an afterthought, especially the plight of oversea Filipino workers that made me add the rest of the post.
@josie_ It really doesn't seem fair that people must leave their country to earn money for their families.
@JustBhem (31733)
• Davao, Philippines
I am sorry for these people but I know in their own little way they can surpass this coldness. I am a believer that if you work on your own way of celebrating Christmas, you are not going to be alone. Just make the most out of it. There will be someone to accompany you, there will be someone to give out food, and there will be someone to make them smile.
@josie_ (6547)
It is during special occasions like Christmas when the lonely are the loneliest. Watching others celebrating makes the pain more painful, the ache more heartbreaking. But Christmas also bring out the kindness and generosity of people. Even strangers.
@JustBhem (31733)
• Davao, Philippines
@josie_ And I believe that. Someone will give you a smile, and yes even strangers.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think we should all try to bring happiness to as many people as we can this time of year through our donations, our prayers and just caring for those in need.
@josie_ (6547)
Although we all like receiving presents, being able to spread joy to those in need is much more gratifying..
• Eugene, Oregon
This is a very moving discussion and it is important that we think of those you write about and maybe even take some action.
@josie_ (6547)
There will always be misery in this world and what we can do might not make much difference. But that should not be the reason for not doing a good deed when the opportunity arises.
@Destesh (203)
• Kenya
This is so encouraging and touching ... It's good you took your time to remember all these different kind of people out there and wish them a merry Christmas
@josie_ (6547)
My children also work abroad and I share their feelings of having to spend Christmas away from their love ones.
yes here we think of the homeless and do our best to make them feel comfortable
@josie_ (6547)
Bless you and all the people who are spreading the joy of Christmas to those less fortunate.
I know, not everyone will be home with family eating and exchanging gifts.
@josie_ (6547)
The internet offers some comfort and participation in the Christmas celebrations but it's still a far cry from actually being there.