My Brother the Hero!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Storm_Drain.JPG
When I was around 9 and my brother was 10, he performed a heroic act that impressed me greatly. One evening, a puppy fell down into the storm drain, and was crying and whining. The storm drain openings are rectangular slits on the side of a curb (think of the original IT). On top of the sidewalk, there is a manhole cover, in case a city worker wants to go down there. Rodney and I saw the crowd and ran across the street to find out what happened. Two men had the cover off, and were discussing ways of getting the puppy out. When they saw my brother, they both stopped and starred at him. He was extremely tall and even more thin, so I think an idea popped into both their heads at the same time. They asked him if they could lower him down head first, while holding his feet and he could retrieve the puppy. I was horrified, because it was dark out and pitch blackness down where the puppy was. He agreed right away. The rescue was a complete success--he brought the dog up within minutes. Sadly, no one was impressed by his courage, and if fact I felt the men made fun of how skinny he was. Everyone dispersed quite quickly, and I stood there stunned. I felt that everyone should have patted him on the back and told him how great he was. They should have gone to my parents and made a big deal about him. He was so brave and I don't even know if I ever told him how proud I was of him, but I've always been in awe of his bravery that evening.
He should be commended, not ridiculed. They asked him, after all. He didn't ask them.
He was so skinny that he was made fun of a lot, so maybe the men just joined into fun.
A very brave 10 year old- I couldn't have done that.
I think so also, and I still couldn't do it.
It's never too late. You can still tell him that you're proud of him.
I hope so.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
He did good @misunderstood_zombie . What happened to the puppy?
Sorry, I don't remember. I'm sure it was returned to the owner.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
• Preston, England
it was very heroic, had they let go of him he would have ended up as trapped and endangered as the puppy
At the time, I didn't even think about that, because they looked so big and strong. I just thought of the complete darkness. I guess, if they let go, the fire department would have come out and saved them both.
• Preston, England
@misunderstood_zombie he certainly deserved more credit than he got at the time
This is a good memory to share, and you can tell him now how much you looked up to him then. He was brave.
I haven't seen him in awhile, but I hope to see him again, and then I will most definitely tell him.
That's wonderful. I'm glad he was able to retrieve the puppy.
I was glad also.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Bravery comes from heart. Thanks for him. Oh do not fear to tell him thanks. It is never late anyway. In one sense you have already thanked him by posting discussions among the world. This is also a great thanks. Personally you can do the same! I hope it might not be the great piece of suggestion but it might help you!
Thank you, and I like what you said about bravery comes from the heart.
So you think everyone else should have told him how great he was, but you didn't do that yourself??? He did a really good thing.
I just don't remember, since I was a kid when this happened, and it just never came up after we became adults.
@YrNemo (14246)
That was dangerous. Those men should be ashamed of themselves in involving a kid. (There were some deaths lately with kids got trouble while tangling with those drains, especially in bad rainy weather.)
That's the only free photo of the storm drain I could find. I don't think there was any water down there, thank goodness.
@YrNemo (14246)
@misunderstood_zombie How is he these days? Hope he hasn't been putting himself in danger too often.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
Not sure I would ever use a 10 years old boy for such mission, at least not without the permission of his parents. And to make fun of his body was mean of them. I’m sure he would still be happy to hear that you were proud of him.
I guess it was a different time back then. Now, I don't think two (normal) men would ever even think to touch a 10 year old without the parents standing right there and giving permission. My brother and I were made fun of lot, because we were tall and skinny, extreme skinny, though we both ate constantly. My brother was especially tormented for this by other boys, plus he wasn't a fighter, and he had a sensitive soul. We had a good comeback though, for those that called us skinny. We said, "We would rather be skinny than fat like you." Pretty good comeback don't you think?
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
@misunderstood_zombie that’s a good one. I’m glad you figured out a way to make them shut up without a fight. I was too mocked by other (older) kids for being a shorty. Wish I had a comeback
being brave doesnt reflect on the outside appearance either youre thin or fat, doesnt mean to say you cant do incredible things anymore
@Strawberry18 This is so true.
@KrauseHome (35522)
Yes, unfortunately that is the way life is. No one wants to take time to Thank someone for a courageous deed like that, and because of that, when people retell their story some find it hard to believe.
That would be sad to do a good deed and no one believes you.
@sjvg1976 (18395)
He is really a hero otherwise kid at this age would have refused to go down . You brother was a brave kid.
He wasn't always brave, but he was that night.
Well, I agree with you, that was very brave of him and he did deserve to be made a big deal of. He was very brave.
I thought so too, I wouldn't go down there even feet first.
Those who witnessed this should have applauded your brother.
I thought so too, but hopefully someone said something kind to him.
• Northampton, England
Best post I have read for a while. Thats what brothers are for
Wow, thank you, and I agree all brothers should be heroes.
What a wonderful story! Did the owner of the dog thanks him?
I don't remember, I hope so. This happened a very long time ago.
• Ft. Worth, Texas
Omg mom I never new this happened. That is sad that no one told him good job but I bet he knew in his heart he had done something amazing. Just like how we get so happy seeing an animal that is hurting be saved, people making a human chain to save a dog. I always knew I was a hunter killer and did not care for animals but the truth is if I had seen an animal in pain I would have helped. You know when you have made this world a better place, you feel it in your heart
I haven't thought about this in years, but it jumped into my mind the other day. I hope he knew, I really do.
@hereandthere (32489)
even at age 9, you knew something wasn't right. did you parents ever know about it?
I don't remember. No one would do that to a child in the present time without permission from the parents, that's for sure.