Dollar Store Christmas

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
A few years ago around this time, my daughter and I laughed about how poor that particular Christmas would be. Neither of us was working, so we decided to make it as simple and inexpensive as possible. All the grandkids were still small back then, so it was easy to grab a few big gift bags at a dollar store and fill them with silly little things that would make them cringe now. One day, I was inspired to write the following little poem. It can either be read or sung to the tune of "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas." Either way, I hope you enjoy it. ******* It's going to be a dollar-store Christmas everywhere I go, from my cute little ten-inch tree to lights I can barely see, none of it will cost a penny more. Oh it's going to be a dollar-store Christmas, just you wait and see, for the gift that you get from me will be cheesy as can be from the dollar store! I bought some paper and crayons and ribbon and stencils and earrings that fell off my ears, candles and knick-knacks and incense and pencils and perfume that drove me to tears, and all because it's Christmas time, the season of good cheer... Oh it's going to be a dollar-store Christmas, and you can be sure, with my finances still intact I will have a Scrooge attack at the dollar store.... at the dollar store! Copyright @2014 Rachel Lovejoy (Public Domain Image)
Dollar stores rock.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
They're my go-to.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
I think the poem is cute as can be @Raelove . I'm a Dollar Store fan. You can still get nice things without the price. I do't know why people think they have to go to Macey's and etc.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks! I haven't shopped at the Maine Mall in ages. That's where our Macy's is. I can't afford those ridiculous prices. My favorite is Dollar Tree. And I love Dollar General, too.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Raelove Here in our small town we've got both Dollar General and Family Dollar, so everything I need is fine. The nearest Walmart is 27 miles away, so it's rare that I go there. We do have a Fred's here in town but they are more expensive than the dollar places.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@nanette64 Our Walmart is about 5 miles from here, so it's doable. The DG is a bit further. But the Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are both about 3 miles away, so I go to both often. I buy all my cleaning products, paper goods, soaps, shampoos, etc. from them.
So cute, I sang it while reading it.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I was hoping someone would. Thanks, Marlina!
@dgobucks226 (12153)
Love the poem and the Dollar Store! It's a puzzle how they can have so many items for a dollar? Even crossword and put together puzzles
@dgobucks226 (12153)
@Raelove That is some markdown. And sometimes you really don't need the size of the product sold in other stores. At the dollar store smaller sizes fits the bill (sorry about the phraseology).
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@dgobucks226 No problem. And yes, that was a huge markdown. Another product I bought awhile back that was way marked down to a dollar was Mucinex Mucus Relief Capsules. Those are $12 in the big stores.
@dgobucks226 (12153)
@Raelove Yes, very pricey item. I buy those for my sinus condition. Good to know they have that brand at the Dollar store. They seem to acquire more inventory every time I visit.
very interesting there.Thank you for sharing.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
You're welcome!
@Raelove Do you have snow and ice there?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@amadeo Got 5" of snow last night and now it's freezing rain and covering everything. That's the part I hate.
So very cute Rachel...yes we got to make the most of it.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, and we don't have to spend a fortune.
@Raelove No we dont my friend..while I have the chance I wish you and your family a very peaceful happy Xmas xoxo
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView Thank you. And I wish the same for you and yours.
I love going through a store such as this and picking up bits and pieces. Good poem too! Have a great Christmas - if I haven't already said it.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks...and you as well, Judy!
Just a delightful poem that brought a big smile to my face. I love that Dollar Store we have here.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, dear. And so do I. We have a few within just a few miles of each other. They're fun places to go when you're bored and need some cheap "retail therapy."
I do love the Dollar Store but don't think I could do all my shopping there for Christmas. Great poem/song
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. And no, I couldn't either. But they're great for little things like shampoo, soap, makeup, etc.
@valerie37 (981)
• Christiansburg, Virginia
I love the poem.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, Valerie.
Very cute. And a good reminder that we can embrace the fun and love of Christmas without a lot of money.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. And you're right. Christmas doesn't have to, nor should it, cost that much.
Its the thought that counts, plus dont tell them and they will not know :) Love the poem/ song
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. Thanks!
@shivamani10 (11232)
• Hyderabad, India
Oh..very nice..very nice..enjoyable.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you.
@myhuka (214)
what did you put in those big gift bag
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Mostly little toys and little personal care items.