Avoiding the Malls in December

Photo taken by author
Laguna Woods, California
Our local television news station just showed what the traffic looks like both outside and inside the Southern California shopping malls. It looks absolutely crazy! Fortunately, not only did I finish my shopping fairly early this year, but I managed to stay completely out of the malls during the month of December ... my least favorite time of year to shop. While some people love the excitement of being in a shopping mall during the Christmas rush, I find it pure torture. I am soooo happy to be safe at home, out of the traffic and away from the malls. What about you? Are you shopping this weekend?
There is definitely a shopping spree during the festival season.Good for you,you got your Christmas shopping done early and needn't to elbow your way through the crowd at the malls.
@changjiangzhibin89 , That craziness is not for me.
• Laguna Woods, California
@changjiangzhibin89 - I am so relieved not to have to shop, especially this weekend.
• Laguna Woods, California
@marlina - I don't need that craziness, either!
Safely at home. The rest of the world can go shopping, but I am not.
• Laguna Woods, California
@marlina - I am sure you really are much safer at home, too, with all the nuts out on the road and in the malls!
@DeborahDiane Yes, safe and sound here.
• Laguna Woods, California
@marlina - Good!
@sallypup (27102)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That photo makes me itchy to wander a festive mall! I just have stores like Walmart, Marshalls and Ross. None of those stores attract me in July so I'm not planning on visiting them now either. But that mall photo. If I had a mall like that near me I'd be snooping. Maybe not buying but snooping.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - I managed to take that photo early in the morning, while walking in the mall last year, before the crowds showed up to start shopping. That is the best time to go to the mall ... before the stores open!
@sallypup (27102)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DeborahDiane I've heard of folks that walk the mall for exercise. That sure makes sense to me when its cold and nasty out.
@ptrikha_2 (8284)
@DeborahDiane Yes and things feel so cool then- no rush, no lines. But of course, the stores too are closed or just opening. Often if we go before 11 AM, even washrooms are under maintenance and cleaning is going on.
All the shops and stores will be closed today (24th of December) and tomorrow both in Switzerland and in Italy. The authorities have decided that Christmas is a family celebration and ALL workers have the right to join their families.
@ptrikha_2 (8284)
Here in India, it is the opposite. Malls sometimes open for longer on these days, as many people find time for shopping and / or going to movie theatres.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I think it is wonderful that businesses are closed on Christmas and Christmas Eve. Years ago, the same thing happened in the United States. Stores were closed on all Sundays, as well as on Christmas Day. Things have changed, however, as capitalism has become more glorified than family time.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Special holiday celebrations should allow everyone possible to get the day off. Sadly, I see that happening less and less.
@kepweng (14709)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i cannot shop beacuse im Financially broken!
@ptrikha_2 (8284)
I hope @kepweng that your financial troubles will be soon over.
• Laguna Woods, California
I hope your financial situation becomes easier. It is probably better to stay away from malls, even when we have money!
i try to avoid malls year round..too peopley.rather buy online. i'm going shopping for food later today,but i'm just getting what i need and leaving. i know it's gonna be crazy.
• Laguna Woods, California
@scarlet_woman - I was in the grocery store yesterday and was shocked by how crowded it was. The line was terrible!
@lady1993 (17522)
i wanted to go somewhere, but after we went to church, we had a hard time getting home, so it was a good thing my mom voted against going to the mall today. We will still buy a bit of grocery later though, but it is only nearby, so even if there are a bunch of people, it is okay
• Laguna Woods, California
I understand. The traffic around the malls can be awful!
@shubhu3 (14279)
• New Delhi, India
That's nice. I will be at home today.
• Laguna Woods, California
Enjoy your day at home. I hope it is relaxing!
@shubhu3 (14279)
• New Delhi, India
i have no problem going at the mall here because its nearby so i can just have a walk but when tired after shopping and lots of people, plus traffic thats the time i will realize that its better if i just stayed at home
• Laguna Woods, California
That is so nice you can walk to the mall and easily come home when you get tired. I like staying home this time of year unless I really have to buy something.
@ptrikha_2 (8284)
Well to a big extent, I too hate shopping in a heavily crowded Mall. I would rather go in a Mall where things are manageable. Yet sometimes, I can't help things, and on some festive occasions, I have spent a lot of times at the billing counters and in lines.
• Laguna Woods, California
Yes, the lines can become very long during the festival or holiday seasons!