Parenting: “Have you played a fighting game before?”

The toughest job is being a parent. “Would you agree?” I had seen some parents who are having a hard time dealing with their own children. They need to give the best for everything in their family. Now, we are living in the modern world and things had changed at a fast pace. In this modern world, parents should cope up with the changes. Nowadays, children are so addicted in playing various computer or video games. It could be entertaining for them. But then, some of them are violent in nature such as a ‘fighting game.’ As a parent, "How can you handle or monitor this kind of computer or video games?" Image Credit: pixabay.com
No but I watched the big fighting game championship where they played Street Fighter just recently and this kid only 18 yrs old and Dominican Mena RD won some big money..He beat out a lot of Asian game players too. It was exciting to watch.
I heard about this. At some point, it could be possible for the kiddies to be good at this kind of skill. Nowadays, there is a new career path for game players. They can have a job as a 'game tester.'
@vandana7 (64929)
I am also curious about this. I feel a child can be offered all violent and scary stuff, AFTER he or she is oriented towards a goal. That way, the mind finds it easier to accept realistic command and differentiate it with unrealistic stuff. But if the goal and the child moving in that direction is not there, then it can be quite dangerous.
Personally speaking, some parents rely more on modern gadgets. They don't care if what kind of video or computer games.
i guess it would depend on the kid-as long as they can tell the difference between fiction and reality. to be honest a lot of the tv nowadays has way more violence than the video games..it's equally bad..
I do agree with you. Some of the videos on youtube have violence acts and even nursery rhymes. That's quite alarming.
@Shavkat really even nursery rhymes
@Strawberry18 It is quite alarming if you try to check Disney Junior. Some of the songs created where so bizarre in lyrics.
@YrNemo (12657)
I didn't let my kids play this sort of games. They are grown up now, so I don't know.
I do think the kiddies in the old days were being monitored than now. I hope the modern parents will not depend on these modern gadgets that serve as nannies for their kids.
@YrNemo (12657)
@Shavkat Unfortunately lots of young parents these days are doing exactly that, using those gadgets as a kind of cheap nannies for their young children.
@YrNemo That's the sad part of modern parents. I hope they can be educated about this concern.
Our 'boys' are in their 40s but still play these kinds of games. I don't really approve but I can't do much about it.
I think at their age right now, we don't need to worry about it. They are matured enough to handle things of their own. The old computer games are quite fine then today. The video games appeared to be violent as compared before.
@Shavkat That's true. Some are very violent. I am so glad I'm not trying to bring up children nowadays.
@JudyEv I had seen some friends who are so stressed. They don't know how to control their kids anymore.
@saritflor (3775)
• Israel
I'm not a parent but I if had this situation I would do take them and explain them they can't be forever playing games and spending hours a front of the screen. They should do more things, sports for example which it's important for their health, making sure they are socializing as well.
I do think there is always a limitation in everything and this one of them.
@saritflor (3775)
• Israel
I let my kids play any game that they wanted to and reminded them it was pretend not real.
I do think it is fine since you had guided them and advised not to put them into reality.
My son is a gamer. He's an adult. I don't need to monitor what he plays.
I do agree with you. You don't need to worry about them if they do play any kinds of games available nowadays.
Time limits should be set for these games, and parents should monitor what games are allowed.
I do agree with you. I hope modern parents would be responsible enough to take parenting seriously.
@dodoazo (19613)
No. I just watch it on how the children are playing in the Internet cafe. I enjoy watching such game. In my case, I have no problem for I have already a grown up children who their family.
You are lucky for not going to worry about this concern. I felt sorry for some parents who cannot control the addiction of their children in playing computer or video games.
@thelme55 (14571)
When my child was small, we didn't let him play brutal games. He is adult now and he knows what is bad and good. I know that hubby and I brought him up well. Last Christmas when he seen a child beauty contest in the tv, he said he doesn't like it at all. Why should small girls have to do this adult stuff of beauty pageant, makeup nd so on. Well, I said that's usually their parents who wanted their children to participate.
I think it is nice to guide them when seeing something new. In Philippines' schools, some children usually have the same activities with makeup and all. They showed their talents and best venue to showcase their talents. I do think that kiddies beauty pageant is another story.
@thelme55 (14571)
@Shavkat yes. It is indeed another story. Happy new year to you. I hope you will have a successful year.
@thelme55 I did have a great time last New Year's Eve. How about you?
@id_peace (6960)
I had play tons of fighting and etc games.
I hope you are not addicted to them.
@id_peace (6960)
Nowadays I do not have enough time to play games.
@id_peace It is fine you need to prioritize sometimes.
@shshiju (10492)
• Cochin, India
You are right parenting is important in building character in child . Good parenting makes good humans and valuable to society.
Indeed, my friend. Molding a child is always starts at home.
@shshiju (10492)
• Cochin, India
For me i let her. Because thats the only thing that entertains her if not at school. Children neighbours bully her she seldom go out
I think it is fine as long as you monitor the things she's watching and playing with the gadget.
• Calgary, Alberta
I am not yet a parent but I play fighting games and Hell Yeah I will compete in a real tournament. So I am definietly going to be a cool dad. Most kids these days though dont like fighting games. They like first person shooters.
In some instances, some parents have the same flow of thoughts about it.
@ridingbet (53021)
my son played some online games, but not the competitive ones. i play online as well, like monster busters. no fighting though. no, i don't monitor my son's playing online. actually, when we go out, like after eating, he opens his phone and reads. he is more of a reader than me. hahah!
@cahaya1983 (10053)
The only game my son plays is Minecraft and one or two car racing games. I don't let him play games that involve physical fights or shooting.
@kepweng (14768)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i do before mortal combat and its Bloody Gross
It is nice that you have time to play.