Is there no end to the things technology can do?

Bunbury, Australia
We had unexpected visitors yesterday. Our god-daughter lives in South Australia. For Christmas, one of her daughters wished to visit their old home in Busselton, Western Australia. Lo and behold, the plane tickets were under the tree on Christmas morning and they flew out at lunchtime! I can only guess the father organised it but whoever – it was lovely that they fitted in a visit to us. We had a barbecue with some nice salads and fresh summer fruits after. Our god-daughter particularly liked one of the salads and I said I’d email her the recipe which was on a card we’d picked up at the supermarket. But she whipped out her phone and photographed the recipe there and then. And - on Christmas night our nephew had a temperature probe inside some meat he was cooking. He was able to check this on his phone while sitting in his lounge chair. There seems no end to the amazing uses to which technology can be put. Have you come across technology applications which leave you a bit speechless?
YES! watching cameras on the phone that show your house. The turn the lights on and off app.
I find this a bit intrusive - or at least I would if I were renting a house and the landlord could watch what I'm doing.
@LoriAMoore It makes it much easier for the place to look as if someone is home.
Technology sure has made things easier and faster. Hubby recently showed me some app where you can scan over words and it would visually translate it to any language you need it to be - that's insane!
There seems to be nothing they can't do now with these apps.
@vandana7 (67648)
@DaddyEvil LOL... we can still trouble ya DE..Evil Grin...
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
@vandana7 Oh, I do know that, vanny!
@josie_ (7745)
Too much technology is also making us lazy. Both physically and mentally. doh...how do you expect me to watch TV, I lost the remote.
I agree. It certainly makes us lazy. Or lazier in my case.
i think it is amazing the thing i see on tv that is a device to put in your house, and one can see such as if their kids are in the home on a smartphone and one can see where the kids are and another tells you if your kid's locked the door when they got home!
They certainly have some very good uses.
@JudyEv i agree i would have never thought of all these things 30+ years ago!
I am not so impressed by this exaggerate use of technology. We become addicted and lazy. I have a meat thermometer that I stick in the center of the meat and I check after the time I know the meat should be ready. I think I check at most a couple of times and I stay in the kitchen while the food is cooking.
I suppose it impresses me but I've no wish to have all these things. We have a meat thermometer too and find it very handy. We do the same as you.
@JudyEv I am sure he wanted to impress you. We have a friend like this, he wants everything that is tech and new. Sometimes he is ridiculous.
@LadyDuck My nephew is a bit like that. Easily impressed and keen to show us how clever he is.
That is really cool about the meat thermometer. I guess being able to control things in your home with smart apps and things like that. That is so totally cool.
We have a meat thermometer but we have to go to the meat to check it. Can't do it from the lounge!
I've seen commercials for phone apps where you can check on your home, turn on and off lights, check the temperature, and virtually take care of your home, without being there. It is crazy what all a person can do from their phone.
It's good in some ways but not so good in others.
@JudyEv I agree.
@Fleura (7197)
@just4him @JudyEv I can see that those sort of things can be very useful (although we don't have any) - such as turning on lights when you are away, checking CTV if you have it, etc., but I don't trust that all such things cannot be hacked. I don't want someone else remotely deactivating my house alarm or cutting off my power for example!
@bagarad (12742)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm amazed by some of this technology, but it's beyond me. I don't even have a smartphone. If I can't do something on my PC I just don't do it.
I'm the same. We have an old mobile for emergencies and that's it.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
I have an application called Zenly. It lets you see your friend’s exact whereabouts. Me and my wife check each other’s locations to make sure that we are okay. And to make it easier to reach each other when one of us has to pick the other. It also has an option to send quick messages in case of emergencies. I find it very useful
Our son in Ireland has that and we connect to it when we're over there. If we're meeting at a fair or a busy mall it is really easy to find each other. I agree that it is very useful.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
@JudyEv before that app I used to call my wife 10 times a day to see if she reached certain destinations safely. Now all I have to do is check the app.
@Madshadi Didn't she ever get sick of you checking? I think it would drive me crazy but it's great that you care. I guess I'm just not used to this sort of app.
@cahaya1983 (10038)
I think it's harder to think of things that technology can't do than what they can, these days.
That's true. There seems to be nothing they can't do. My friends have gone away for three weeks and their fish will get fed a regulated amount at a certain time every day till they get back. I don't know what happens if the power goes off!
@cahaya1983 (10038)
@JudyEv Oh wow, that one I had not heard of! There's an app for that too?
@cahaya1983 I guess it's an app. I'm sure she was adjusting it on her phone but maybe not. It's still pretty clever however or whatever does it.
@Platespinner (17062)
I use a fair amount of technology, but when I stop to think about it I get a little queasy. The technology that supposedly makes our life easier and more manageable is really just making me lazier and more disorganized.
I suppose it's okay in a way as long as we never lose touch with being able to go back to the 'old' ways if we need to.
@JudyEv That's the worrisome part. I know far too many people who, thanks to GPS devices and apps, can't read a paper map. can't calculate simple math problems...
@Platespinner If you can't get a signal in the area you're in, you need to be able to do stuff in your head or using your brain or whatever.
@xFiacre (5227)
@judyev All because we can doesn't mean that we should. That temperature-taking phone is brilliant but it takes all the fun out of cooking.
That's very true. Fun in cooking? FUN IN COOKING? There is no fun in cooking! However while I was a bit astounded I wasn't jealous of what he had - so to speak.
Technology has come a long way now,which sets the scene for dramatic changes in all our lives.Over here, there has been a new e-payment system using facial recognition.
In some of the airports now, there is facial recognition too.
@JudyEv Yes! in addition, people are allowed to use smart phones for scanning to complete the payment in nearly every store here.
@changjiangzhibin89 We were behind a lady whose payment was denied as her pay hadn't been processed on time. She used her phone to transfer some money from her other account, paid her bill and we were all going ahead as normal within a couple of minutes. It was pretty impressive.
• Eugene, Oregon
I was surprised at how much the Alexa robot voice can answer. We don't have any lights or heat connected to it, but she keeps our schedules going and gives reminders for various things, will even tell a story if you ask.
@Shiva49 (13972)
We are never alone! siva
Haha. Perhaps you could plagiarise her stories. Do you think she might sue?
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv Hmmm...there's a thought.
I love technology so much, and I'm ready for more and more. I just want a robot maid, and then I'll be happy and speechless.
A robot maid? Now you're talking! I think I could keep two busy.
@JudyEv Plus, we would need one to cook delicious meals.
@misunderstood_zombie My husband does that for me now - but he isn't into cleaning.
@dpk262006 (56482)
Yes, technology has advanced so much and there are amazing applications to execute some tasks. I came across an application, which could tell how much water we consume in a day and whether it is adequate or not.
The Fitbits that people buy tell them all sorts of things about how far they've walked, what speed, their heart-rate, calories consumed, etc. Amazing stuff.
@dpk262006 (56482)
@JudyEv Yes, I have seen Fitbits and it tells a lot about us. Some of my relatives regularly use it.
I still can't get over having FaceTime - talking and seeing. When I was young, it was considered futuristic. lol
Vince's sister and her husband FaceTime with a new grandchild who lives the other side of the world and it is such a good thing. It takes much less time for the child to get over their shyness when eventually they manage to meet face-to-face.
Most technology leaves me speechless these days lol
It's mind-blowing sometimes. Almost too much to comprehend.
I do use my camera on my phone to take pictures of recipes, bell schedules at the various schools I go to. All sorts of things I need to remember.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
I don't even try and keep up with the young ones! I think maybe I've met my plateau when it comes to technology usage - I'm in my comfort zone still!
I'm happy with the word-processing I can do. That's about my limit.