Bee is the colour

United Kingdom
Leonard's been telling me when he sees something yellow (lella) and he's also pointed out a few blue (boo) things, as well as acknowledging whenever one of us wears something green (geeeeen) - all very exciting! At first I wrote down every new word he said but they're coming in too thick and fast now This morning I thought I'd exercise his knowledge of colours and asked him what colour his toy car is - it's a yellow taxi, but his answer was "bee! bzzzzzzzzz" because it's got black wheels so it's technically yellow and black like a bee Fair enough, I suppose At his age he doesn't seem interested in my protestations that "bee! bzzzzzzzzz" isn't a colour
@Orson_Kart (4353)
Protestations? I thought you were a Catholic. Ask him what he would rather bee, or a wasp. That'll confuse him.
I asked him and he said "bzzzzzz".... and then I'm pretty sure he smirked and rolled his eyes. Teenager already!
@LilyBeBack Have you played him the Arthur Askey song yet? I am sure he'd love it. What do you mean, who's Arthur Askey?
@LilyBeBack Did you let him listen to it? Buzz buzz buzz buzz honey bee, honey bee, Buzz if you like but don't sting me!
It's a lovely stage in a child's life - enjoy.
I love this part, we're well past the sleepless nights and he can communicate and make me laugh
@tzwrites (4951)
Well it's interesting that he made the association between bee and yellow.
He's recognised bees and images of bees for a few months and never said this before for random black and yellow things, so he must think this car is especially bee-like
@YrNemo (13412)
A very smart kid! If anyone told me bee color, I would know right at once that it was black and yellow . (Boo is a bit difficult to figure out !)
When he says "bzzzz" it comes out more like "bthhhhhh"
@YrNemo (13412)
@LilyBeBack Kids are cute. One of my children used to say, 'yeyow', the other said, 'lelow'. Now they just laughed when they hear any kids saying funny things like that. (They are all grown up now, but still remember their difficulty in saying the word yellow!)
@YrNemo haha yeah I remember a lot of kids in primary school said "lellow"
@sw8sincere (4672)
Haha that's very funny. Kids are indeed very entertaining and sometimes naughty too.
Only sometimes?! He's obsessed with bees, he thought the snow was millions of bees the other week
@LilyBeBack haha your son must be very imaginative.
@kavinitu (5031)
So cute. He is now keeping an eye on the color
I honestly can't keep up with him now
@owlwings (39406)
• Cambridge, England
Very logical! He is actually doing what people have done from time immemorial - naming colours after something which is either typical of the colour or after an emotion or feeling which that colour evokes. Orange wasn't a colour, for example. That mixture of yellow and red (in varying proportions) was either called 'yellow' or 'red', depending on the dominant shade but then someone needed a name for it and called it after the fruit. You may find ths page interesting because small humans very often go through similar stages as our earliest ancestors when learning to express themselves in words:
Dating back centuries, the names of our everyday colors have origins in the earliest known languages. According to linguists:
Thank you! Sorry to take so long, I've been trying to get my stupid Internet to let me read the link before I replied He did another one the other day and now I can't remember it, I don't think it was to do with colours but it was a similar situation in that he named something after something similar
PS I didn't really protest his interpretation, I said "yes! Well done! It's yellow and black like a bee!" Lol, I'm far more encouraging than I make myself out to be
@owlwings (39406)
• Cambridge, England
@LilyBeBack We always need new words to describe things. 'Bee' is a good colour name (for the moment, at least, until we learn that real bees can be brown or yellow or orange or black and any combination of these, though there are usually stripes). What amazes me is how a child learns so quickly that something is a 'dog' (and not a cat or a bear, for example) when there are so many different shapes and sizes of dog.
That's so cute, and actually makes sense that they look so much alike. These are great days for you when they are learning so fast.
Speaking of learning, he's just learnt to say the word "out" and now he wants to get "out" of everything constantly
Look darlin', it ain't yer fault yer an old person that doesn't realize there are new colors in the world
Kids these days... what's that noise? YOU CALL THAT MUSIC?! Can't bloody hear myself think...
I love that. He is already descriptive!