Goal: Buy What Fits

I love going shopping - both in stores and online but not always does the item work out for me, or whomever I am purchasing for. My fiancé on the other hand especially likes to wash the clothes before trying, so it's an immediate keep for him regardless. New rule enforced to reduce unwanted clothing in our closet. At times, I would procrastinate in returning and then left with the item to either deal with it, or sell it. My goal now to reduce clutter, keep/buy what fits and if it doesn't, make the exchange/return within the week so I won't forget. Do you have any goals you want to set and follow for yourself?
My goal is nearly the same each year..go thru papers and sort them. I still do not have a file cabinet which I need.
Literally next is to be organized and clean, keep everything tidy. That's a hard one for me to accomplish It'll be clean for a couple days then back to a mess. A filing cabinet would come in handy.
@infatuatedbby Yes it certainly would. Good luck with your goal Michele. Hope the holidays are fine for you.
@TiarasOceanView Thank you, you too! Long time no see, good to see you're back.
That's a smart goal to have. I only buy what fits. I'm beyond setting goals for myself. I just merrily skip along taking each day as it comes.
In stores, I do too. Buying online, I do buy my size but sometimes the design/cut/brand doesn't work out.
@infatuatedbby I definitely know that. That's why I buy my clothes in person. I'm also a fabric feeler. LOL!!!
@DianneN Tehehe! There are certain fabrics I don't like, or the photo doesn't display it. Anything on the model may look nice but upon arrival its like uh!
At this point my goal is to just get through today.
I hope everything will be okay
Yes I will be making 4 new resolutions for 2018. I always take them back right away of I get them home and they do not fit.
That is nice! Did you keep your resolutions of 2017? Yes, I am going to make it a habit to take them back asap so I don't get stuck with them after the receipt expires.
@infatuatedbby I only managed one of four this year, I did make some tough ones though. I am thinking about the new four I will tackle for 2018.
@andriaperry Good luck with your 2018 New Years Resolution. :)
I've never understood the fascination of goal setting. I see what comes along and then react.
You can start any goal at any time, not necessarily just during the New Years. I've just been overwhelmed with all the clothes in our closet that we don't wear, so it's a reminder for me to apply it.
@infatuatedbby I'm not going to set goals at any other time, either. As I've said, I don't understand why I should and what would be positive if I did. If your wardrobe is too full, give the clothes you don't wear to charity. That is a good idea. I do that occasionally.
@MALUSE Yes, you don't have to set any goals. We have a scheduled pick up tomorrow. And for the newer clothes, I know I could sell them so I will do that.
My goal is to reduce the amount of sugar I consume. Sugar never used to bother me, but it makes me really tired every time I eat it. Sugar is no longer my friend.
I love sweets. But yes, I have to reduce my amount of sugar also now that Christmas is over
Not at all, I only want to stop stressing about goals.
He-he that is completely fine as well. :) Don't stress Anna.
@infatuatedbby I am stressed enough without setting goals.
@LadyDuck Stress is no good, but sometimes it cant' be helped.
@nomus24g (24431)
I am bad at buying stuffs...
Who shops for you? Or you rarely shop?
@nomus24g (24431)
@infatuatedbby I end up buying the wrong size almost always
@nomus24g Lol ! Men these dayS! Ha
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I love getting rid of old unwanted things in my house. If I can’t sell them I just give them away.
Yes! We have a donation pick up tomorrow, but some clothes hardly worn with brands, I can sell them but the listing part and taking pictures can be a tad consuming. I will put a goal to maybe list 5-10 a day. It could sell within the day, a week, month, a year though so I need to find space for it.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
@infatuatedbby you are lucky to have a donation pick up. For me even if I wanted to give them for free I'd still need to take pictures and put them on Facebook. Or I can take them to the container park.
@Madshadi I never did the Facebook Market for free or to sale on. But I suppose it is definitely much safer. We do have local donation drop off too as an option. It is very close by.
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
Hi love. How are you. Getting ready for the new year?
Hello!! Yes, lots of cleaning. How are you doing? I'm good.
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
@infatuatedbby I'm good too. Waiting for my Visa to be approved. Pray for me
@amandajay Glad to hear you're doing well. Hope you had a wonderful holiday & the Visa process!
I mostly buy only what I know will definitely fit me (I can eyeball it at the store, but not online, but you know how much online shopping I do ). I rarely return clothes or gifts - that being said, I have to tell you my mother in law bought me clothes AGAIN - wrong size of course. She told me beforehand she bought me pants and that she wants to go with me to get it hemmed professionally, and that was part of the gift. First, the pants don't fit me - and if I get the larger size, this style is going to look frumpy on me even if I get it hemmed. Second, for the price of those pants, it is so NOT worth it to get it professionally hemmed. Third - she does not have money to play with - I'd rather her save her money than buy us stuff we don't need. One of my goals is to be more upfront with mother in law .
For pants and jeans, I do the measure around your neck trick and for the most part it'll fit and work out. Unless, the pants and jeans do not have any stretch. If there is no stretch at all, I won't buy it most likely (like the hard fabric jeans). My mom and I was just talking about hemming yesterday at the gym. My mom said some people buy $5.00 pants and then would spend $45 bucks to get it hemmed. My mom's like some people are crazy! Mind as well buy brand new pants that fit. My fiancé isn't really close to his parents/family, but we gift to them every year for all the occasions. This Christmas we gave them money and a personalized photo book from our engagement that I made on Shutterfly. That is a good goal. Did she do a good job at least for the kids or your husband?
@infatuatedbby I'll have to try that trick! I could just kinda feel it if I put the pants in front of my hips. I like stretch better too cuz hard fabrics will always shrink a bit. I agree with your mom - some people are crazy to pay all that much to get stuff hemmed (for that price heck I can do it myself). The pants MIL got for me are way too small . . . and I can already tell that a larger size would have bigger legs on top of the length - it'd have to be hemmed and taken in on the sides - so not worth it. Awww, that's a nice gift for your fiancé's parents/family! And you could never go wrong with cash. We don't give MIL any cash or gift cards as she should not be encouraged to shop . She can be a shopaholic when she shouldn't be. Let's see . . . so you know she gave me clothes that are too small (as usual) . . . clothes too big for Hubby (as usual) . . . girly girl stuff my daughter is not interested in (she assumes all girls like girly girl things) . . . and my son got Batman clothes (he is not into superheroes).
@much2say The trick works for me most of the time, I would say 95%. I can't put against my hips and know if they'll fit. I don't really have hips, tee-hee-he! It is totally crazy for people to pay such price for hemming. I could understand if its for a wedding dress or something where it's something you cannot really avoid or bridesmaid, something special but not for everyday wear. What did you all get your MIL + FIL then? So the kids aren't super excited about the gifts, lol. Your hubby won't face it to them??? And maybe say thank you for your gifts, but this year they have a lot maybe a gift card to the bookstore or something?
@dpk262006 (56473)
The item which does not fit us should not be bought at first stage. I do not buy ready made garments because they are not as per my fitting.
Well, I do not buy items intentionally that does not fit. But each designer brand, style, cut varies. I do buy my size but sometimes they do not work out and it's common to buy items already made. So, do you only purchase custom fitting pieces?
@dpk262006 (56473)
@infatuatedbby This is precisely my point that ready made garments are of different variants and it is difficult to get an absolute fit dress for us. I have observed that many a times a ready made dress is needed to be altered as per our needs. Yes, I prefer to buy custom fitting pieces and get it stitched as per my needs.
@dpk262006 That is really cool you buy custom fitting pieces. It is not common for everyday wear here for custom fitting pieces, unless its for special occasions like wedding dresses, bridal dresses and etc. Custom pieces can be quite pricey.
@JustBhem (41338)
• Davao, Philippines
In buying clothes or shoes I make sure that they fit me, or else I end up selling them again at a lower price or give it away.
That's what I do too. :)
@JustBhem (41338)
• Davao, Philippines
@infatuatedbby And this time we need to think about it, whether it fits us.
@JustBhem Yep, I will think carefully before purchasing!
@YrNemo (14352)
I seem to run out all energy lately. I should finish with the last part of the painting project, then take all the paint pots to the shed. Lots of things to do, but I just can't feel motivated enough.
Same here. Lots to do but been a tad lazy. I hope we get the energy to do so! :)
@YrNemo (14352)
@infatuatedbby Oh well, life is short, we should enjoy this break a bit .
@YrNemo Most definitely still no holiday mode
That's a good goal. My only goal is regarding my writing, to get another book published this next year.
That's wonderful. Good luck with your book getting published next year and happy writing.
@infatuatedbby Thanks. Writing is my life.
@just4him That's a great passion!! :)
I've unfortunately got to much filling my closets as well. I have put off for years selling on ebay but I really need to.
I haven't sold on eBay before, but I may try. I have been putting it off posting on Poshmark and Mercari but that's my next goal. To list maybe 5-10 items per day.
@infatuatedbby I'm worried people will complain about how long the regular shipping takes since Amazon prime is so fast. Thats why I shopped on Amazon for Christmas this year instead of ebay.
@shaggin I think on eBay or wherever you sell shows estimated arrival for the type of delivery so it should be fine especially now that Christmas is over. :)
@JESSY3236 (7075)
I now have gotten in the habit if something doesn't fit anymore, I will give it away or throw it away. Chris gave me a jacket that was way too big and we exchanged it for a better size.
Throw it away would be a waste, definitely could go to donation or charity though. :) I'm glad you ended up exchanging the jacket that was too big.
@JESSY3236 (7075)
@infatuatedbby I only throw away stuff with holes.
Thankfully we only buy clothes we know fit us, or whoever we're buying for. But that is a good goal.
I do try too but sometimes the brand/material is not what I thought it'd be so I'd have to exchange it or return it.
I am much more careful with what I buy now.
I am always questioning do I need it -o-r want it.
I am goal free at the moment.
That is always good :)