Diary Wednesday 27th December 2017

Photo taken by me – Pearsons pub Sign, Chorlton
Preston, England
Entering the weird limbo period between the Christmas and New Year holidays. Though officially a normal day, many shops and services stay closed or run a skeleton service during these days. After three day virtually house-bound due to the lack of public transport, and as today was dry, though freezing cold, I decided to head out with my camera to pursue my pub sign photo collection. I got a bus to the Lancashire town of Chorley which look lovely, and it is very spread out, a traditional town that now looks very modernized. It is the home of the Chorley Cake, a current filled pastry indistinguishable to the Eccles Cake from a rival town. There were lots of interesting pubs and signs to see. I had a quick beer in just one pub, The Malt & Hops, an award winning real ale bar with a great range to choose from. I settled for a dark mild, a rare sight nowadays in mot pubs. I was reluctant to leave the pub as it had a real fire burning in the grate. I got a very slow bus back to Preston, one that seemed to visit every housing estate I Lancashire. Once back, I chose to get some pub grub and a beer in a local bar, The Lane Ends. Arthur Chappell
• Rochester, New York
It sounds like you had a busy day. I don't mind being house bound during the winter months.
I like the names of those pubs. So you can get meals there as well?
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 Yes both pubs do food
That Chorely cake sounds like a cake I would love to try. I bet the pub with the fire was cozy. So glad you were able to be out and about.
@kavinitu (5035)
Seems like you had great ride
• Bournemouth, England
It is a quiet time. In 2016, for the first time ever, I had a speaking gig on 28 December (they usually don't restart until January). It was in Buckinghamshire and I was able to get a cheap advance first class early morning rail ticket the day before and travelled through London at 08.30 and 18.30 with no 'rush hour's going on at all. A lot of people seem to take the whole period off work.
• Preston, England
@asfarasiknow it can turn a busy city into a temporary ghost town. I quite like it when it is that quiet.
• Bournemouth, England
@arthurchappell Same here!
That guy on the sign rocks. I hope he's got a mug under that tap!
@Angela150 (957)
• London, England
The holidays between the Christmas and New Year holidays is really good.
• Preston, England
@Angela150 I find they can get quite dull
If the cake is chocolate, then I might like it. Glad you were able to finally get out and about.
• Preston, England
@Susan2015 not a chocolate cake - just pastry stuffed full of currents - they are very nice
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Chorley cake Type Pastry Place of origin England Region or state Chorley, Lancashire Main ingredients Shortcrust pastry, raisins Cookbook: Chorley cake  Media: Chorley cake A Chorley cake (l
That's a merry fellow pulling the tap!
• Preston, England
@JohnRoberts he turns up on lots of pub signs - the artist obviously enjoys depicting him
Our shops have been closed from the 24th of December up to the 26th included. Tomorrow they are all open and they will be closed the 31st and the 1st day of the year. The holidays are almost over.
All sound interesting. A great reason to get out and about a bit.
I agree entirely with the period between Christmas and New Year seeming like being in limbo. Once Christmas is over I quite look forward to everything getting back to normal.
@Madshadi (8932)
• Brussels, Belgium
It must have been a lovely trip. I am less kean to visiting crowded places.