The Dead Season

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
When I got up at 6 a.m., the outside temperature was -15 F (-26.1 C). This is the coldest I've seen it around here in a long time. Right now, it's at exactly 0 F (-17.7 C), and when I rubbed the frost from the inside storm door glass, it stung my fingers. On days like this, even in homes that aren't heated by woodstoves where smoke is rising above the roofs, steam from heaters is also pouring out of chimneys all up and down the street. One of my neighbors went out early to start her car, and it was engulfed in a cloud of exhaust steam. Usually, the crows start cawing at sunrise. Not this morning. I haven't seen the wild turkeys yet either. Of course, the seagulls showed up to grab the bread I threw out there early. The cold does not seem to bother them one bit. This kind of cold gives a whole new meaning to the term "dead of winter." Photo is mine.
@TheSojourner (17454)
Or maybe... The dread of winter! Here on the west coast up in Washington State where I'm at, it is currently 43 degrees Fahrenheit, but I think I heard on the news that the temperatures are going to drop into the twenties in the next day or so. I haven't seen those zero and below zero temperatures since I lived in the Chicago area number of years ago. I never liked that
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Good one. I don't like it either. I don't even like going out in it, as the thought of my car breaking down on a day like this is terrifying.
@Raelove You won't get any argument from me! Stay warm!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@CoralLevang Oh, I will, thanks!
@moffittjc (42957)
• Gainesville, Florida
I do not envy you at all. I don't know how a heater or fireplace can keep a home warm enough in weather like that. Does it feel cold inside your house all the time, even with the heater and/or fireplace going? I guess I shouldn't complain about living in Florida anymore.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Actually, I am in what I call a "sandwiched" apartment, with one on either side of me. So this place is very warm. My thermostat goes up to just 74, and even that gets too hot. I have hot water baseboard heat, which is baseboards through which water pipes run that move the heat through one continuous system through all the rooms. So I am plenty warm even on the coldest days.
@moffittjc (42957)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Raelove Thats great to hear that you can keep warm even on the coldest days. And it sure helps being sandwiched in, as the places on either side of you act as insulation from the weather!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@moffittjc Yup. Now if they were just decent neighbors, I'd have it made here.
Yes, it does. If the birds aren't even braving this weather, why should we?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. It's not supposed to up above 8 degrees F here today and way down below 0 again tonight. I'm thinking I may stay in all day today.
@Raelove Other than church, I did stay in all day. It was -3 when I went to church. I don't know what it climbed to today, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's back below zero at the moment, since the sun has gone missing. Happy New Year.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@just4him I made it to church, too, but the congregation was sparse. The pastors live across the street, and they said they understood the hardship for those who live farther away. A quick run to Walmart and I was in for the rest of the day, too. Right now, it's -16. Brrrrr....
I've just written a post about our weather.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I must check it out.
@Raelove It's all about 'warm'.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Oh, off with ya now!
@mrki444 (953)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
In my place temperatures should be aroun -5 C, but last few days were around 10 C. It's to hot for this time of year.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I don't like extreme heat either. I'm happiest when it's about 70 F (21.1 C) here.
@mrki444 (953)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Raelove A lot of people have problems with healty becaus of big temperature. Older ones especially.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@mrki444 I'm 67, and I don't have health problems from it, as I've lived here all my life, so I'm used to it. But my body does ache from the cold at times.
Those frigid temps do have a tendency to sort of keep some critters and humans from venturing out. We have a squirrel or two out and about, but that is about it.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I haven't seen any squirrels since this cold hit, now that you mention it. They must be hiding in their nests till it warms up.
@Raelove We have quite a few crabapples at the base of the crabapple tree, and I do see some squirrel footprints at the base of the tree, so perhaps a few brave ones have done some searching.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Corbin5 Still no sight of them here. It's -10 F this morning again, so quite cold when I opened the door to toss some bread out. The mouse that lives under this building is still coming out, though, to get a few bird seeds. I am still finding empty shells outside the door.
Just think how people in the old days lived through weather like that without modern heat etc.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Well, many homes were much smaller then, and life was focused on the hearth/fireplace, which was kept going day and night. And with good reason. Without indoor plumbing, electricity, etc., they had, in fact, far fewer problems than we have now with all our modern contraptions. As long as they were warm and had water and food, they were fine. In the larger homes of the more affluent, there was typically a fireplace in every room, including the bedrooms, and fires were kept going by the servants. That said, I've lived with both "modern" heat and wood heat. And I much prefer the latter. It's a lot of work, but when I was still able to do it, I got lots of satisfaction from it on many levels.
@Raelove I have toured many old homes and they suffered in heat and humidity in the south.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@JohnRoberts I'm sure they did. And I learned awhile back that an early form of air conditioning involved having large blocks of ice shipped in and someone (often a slave) standing on one side to fan the chilled air to their masters. Later, when electricity became the norm, huge fans would push the cool air toward people.
I was born and grew up in Minneapolis and I hated winter there. It was so cold there. Do you like summer? How warm is it in summer?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I don't like summer when it's hot and humid. The norm here is about 70-85 degrees F. But it does go above that, which is very uncomfortable. I prefer the low end.
@Raelove Thanks Rachel. I love summer.
@averygirl72 (16656)
I can't stand freezing weather. Glad here it's not too hot and not too cold
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I'm used to it.
@KrauseHome (35035)
Been praying for everyone in his cold spell. We are in rhe 40s and 50s here.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I'm looking forward to that.
@mom210 (6762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It is cold here in the south as well, not enjoying the temps right now. Hope it warms up again soon.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, so do I.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Our lawn is criss crossed with coyote tracks. We hear them every day.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh how nice. I used to hear them when I lived in the woods years ago. I miss that.
It sounds crispy to say the least Rachel..dont go sticking your finger on that cold frozen or your fingers will burn again..
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, I won't. When I want to check the temp through the glass, I breathe on it to clear the frost off first!
@1creekgirl (10311)
That makes me cold just reading about it. Stay safe.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh I am, believe me. I see people out in this without hats or gloves on and the word "stupid" comes to mind. They seem oblivious to the fact that, in this weather, it takes just seconds for one's fingers, toes, ears or nose to freeze.