Ruthie The Raccoon Has Taken Over Our Tree

I've told you about Ruthie the Raccoon in the past. We name her Ruthie every year one shows up to have her babies in our tree. Last year there was no one, we really missed watching her... This Ruthie is huge, she didn't let us see her face, she was sunning herself on a really cold day above the hole that is the door to her birthing place. We were happy to see her this year. We look forward to seeing her babies. One years we watched her move her babies down into the ravine when they were starting to be active. A true momma, would move from the top of the tree to the ground where the babies can play. Other years we could see the bigger babies playing in the trees, just like children do. It was fun to see them and then they were gone. Don't know where they go but there is a lot of woods and wild lands around our home. We love our wild raccoons, they don't bother us. We have a raccoon proof trash can and so do all the neighbors.... Do you have critters in your neck of the woods? http://www.mylot.com/post/3058215/shes-back
We do not have raccoons in Switzerland, but we have wild ferrets and foxes, the baby foxes are funny.
We have foxes too, I've seen a few not sure about the ferrets, at leas I haven't seen one in my yard. Had a deer in my yard once. Lots of raccoons too
@PainsOnSlate There are plenty of deer, wolves usually do not come down to the villages and bears stay up in the mountains.
@LadyDuck No wolves and Bears near us, way to many people in our area, up north in the wilds there will be many but rarely seen by humans
Isn't it amazing? she is almost the same color as the tree.. I see a mongoose or two every now and then.
I've never seen a mongoose, I do enjoy watching Ruthie.
google image.
@PainsOnSlate Here is a picture of a mongoose.
@Kandae11 a handsome little guy,,, is he dangerous?
• Denmark
Raccoons are not indigenous to Europe. But there are some living in the forests which have escaped from somewhere.
I think some think they could be pets but they are not pets, they can be nasty. Interesting they are no indigenous, they are everywhere in the Americas.
• Denmark
@PainsOnSlate They multiply undisturbed in European forests. There are no enemies. Wolves may like to eat them but there are only a few. Wolves are coming back to Central Europe from the east, Poland mainly.
• Portland, Connecticut
We have all sorts of wild animals all around us but usually we just see them running not posing!!
I see raccoons here in the urban "wild." Skunk also.
It makes me nervous when I see skunks, they can be so stinky. I think the "urban wild" must be an interesting place to live.
@sugartoes (35484)
• Greencastle, Indiana
they are such awesome animals god put on this earth for us to enjoy we have all kind of wild animals where we live from little chipmunks to red tail squirrels, I have to really watch my dogs when their out & about. I copied your link to your other post & put on here so other readers could get to it easier I hope you don't mind me doing that for you.
We wondered where she was this spring. We usually see in in January and here it is April and she shows up. Who am I talking about? Ruthie the Raccoon. Every...
@sugartoes (35484)
• Greencastle, Indiana
here's a short video on just how raccoons work for those that's interested in them
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Music makes for happy holidays Loading... Even the scrooges
@sugartoes I loved the video, it was fun to watch...
@sugartoes (35484)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@PainsOnSlate glad you enjoyed the video I think it's always a great way to get others evolved to chat more.
I have not seen any here for awhile.Long while.I loved them.
We see them every winter/ spring. We have the perfect birthing tree in the back yard.
@PainsOnSlate that is cool.I love raccoon
Ruthie is definitely a lovely raccoon. We just have squirrels, chipmunks, and bunny rabbits.
We have those too. The only reason we noticed Ruthie is she suns herself in the tree in the back yard and she has her babies in the hole in the tree.. otherwise we wouldn not see her at all...
@mom210 (5952)
• Atlanta, Georgia
we do not like them close to the house here, they like our chickens a little to much.
I can imagine they would make a mess with the chickens, I had chickens when I was a child and we didn't have raccoons around back then or because we were in the country we just never saw them..
@mom210 (5952)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@PainsOnSlate We had one that just loved to pluck one off every night. We moved the coop & upgraded to a more secure hen house and that seems to have done the trick.
@mom210 Our chicken coops when I was a kid were buildings that humans could live in comfortably without the chickens. We moved to the country, built a chicken coop and lived in it for about 4 or 5 months while our home was being built. It was fall, thanksgiving when we moved into the finished house, and the chickens moved into our summer home... and they lived there happily for a long time... and that house we moved in is still there and renovated by my sister and her husband..
@Ganma7 (2550)
We have animals around but only see them once in a while running by at night
We have a flood light in the back and it turns on when there is movement, we often see the critters running to the street especially on Garbage Night.
@Ganma7 (2550)
@PainsOnSlate I bet on garbage night!
@Ganma7 we also bought a critter proof trash can...
I remember Ruthie! We have raccoons, too, and only once saw babies. They live in the woods behind our house with the deer, red fox, squirrels, coyote, skunks, fisher, etc.
We saw here moving the babies to lower ground in the ravine years ago, haven't seen them as tiny babies sense, We have seen brother and sisters youngsters playing in the trees only one year too. They were having a ball. Don't know why we don't see them more often. At night they turn on our back yard light that is bright ( motion light) and its usually on trash night but we only see them if we're in the kitchen...
@PainsOnSlate Perhaps it's the light. They are nocturnal animals. lol. I'd love to see the babies playing in a tree. They are so adorable!
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have roughly 18 raccoon's that visit nightly @PainsOnSlate . They love cat food. When I refill their bowls a couple a times a night, some of them will come up to me and smell my hand or foot. And of course I do have foxes, deer, coyotes, etc.
We don't feed them. We don't have pets is the reason. We do see a lot of animals because we live next to a large ravine that is government land with trails to walk. I ran into a deer in the ravine once and couldn't figure out who was scared worst, the deer or me....
@nanette64 (14627)
• Fairfield, Texas
@PainsOnSlate That was a surprise for both of you.
Just lizards, birds and plenty of insects. I wonder if raccoons come this far southwest, there aren't any woods around here.
I imagine a dessert area is not their favorite, I believe they need cover to hide in.
That makes sense @PainsOnSlate I do find it funny that the Sonoran desert has some, of course the Sonoran desert is a little more humid than ours plus that's where most of the well known cacti come from.
@peachpurple (11804)
You have raccoons;? Awesome, we gave dragonflies, rats, stray cats and dogs
Cats and dogs are not allowed to run free, they must be in a fence or on a leash. IVe never seen a rat around but I Assume they are around, I love dragon flies. We see squirrels every day, hundreds of them...
@peachpurple (11804)
@PainsOnSlate wow squirrels in Big numbers, amazing
Raccoons are adorable especially if you get to watch the babies play! We get really big ones here and at times I had to put big heavy rocks on top of the garbage cans to keep them out. They would shake the metal lids until they got them off hence the need for the rocks on top.
We bought a critter proof trash can, its plastic and I have to fight it to get it to open but it works. We see messes in our neighborhood after trash day but more and more are buying the critter free ones now. We have open bins for glass, metal and paper but no garbage is open to the critters.
@PainsOnSlate I’ve never heard of one but that sounds great! They must be made of a thick plastic so the mice and moles can’t chew through.
Our area is pretty built up and as a result I have not seen any critters, although I have to believe that they exist.
I imagine they are around but you probably don't see them. My little town is surrounded by wineries and farms and lots of woods too so they are everywhere.
We don't have raccoons of course but I have a lovely book about them. They seem very intelligent.
They are intelligent and entertaining. They are everywhere around here in the wilds. I love their mask on their faces...
Yes there are coyotes around here too..but rarely see them as they are out on the trails ..none in these apartments except squirrels Happy New Years to you Paints and family
We rarely see a coyote but they are here, the raving if full of squirrels too...
@salonga (28073)
So nice that it does not bother you. I've read raccoons could destroy a whole garden.
They can be messy in the garden, because we are surrounded with trees, we tried to garden but it didn't work so we have a herb garden, no veggies anymore.