Forever a Special Place in My Heart

When I was teaching, I do wish my classroom library had contained a copy of Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin. If Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love had been in my possession before I retired from teaching, I would have read this book to every single classroom of students I had the privilege to teach. I would have read this book to my colleagues. I would have read this book to anyone who would listen. I would have allowed others to read my copy of Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love only if the borrower understood that this book be returned to me immediately upon completion. My sharing of Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love would have been done to inspire others to become the kind of people Mr. Levin describes: "For all people who strive to comfort and help suffering animals: the lost and the frightened, the abused and the hunted, the abandoned and the captured, and those that should be in a better place than where they are." As for Oogy, I will only provide one of the many special moments shared by Oogy and his owner, Larry Levin: "I nodded at him, kissed him on the top of his skull, rubbed both sides of his head behind his ear and his unear, feeling the rough line of scar tissue that holds his face together." I will share Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love with friends and family, but they will have to promise to return this treasure to me. Thank you @amadeo for sending this wonderful book to me. This book will always have a special place in my heart.
@FayeHazel (16539)
That is special... what a nice and thoughtful gift
It was a wonderful gift. So thoughtful of Alfredo to send me that book.
Its wonderful when a book touches the heart like this one did you.
It really made an impact upon me. I hope it does to many others too.
@Angela150 (958)
• London, England
I would like to read this one day.
I think you would really enjoy the book.
• London, England
@Corbin5 Ok I will add it to my reading list
@kobesbuddy (40818)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Animal and child abuse are the worst crimes on God's green earth! To abuse a dog such as this one, is unthinkable:(
And, there are so many out there that continue to abuse. Too many to catch, round up, and lock away forever.
@kobesbuddy (40818)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 It's a hideous crime, against the innocent! My girlfriend Pam had a rescue bull dog. His teeth in the front were knocked back, from receiving a swift kick in the mouth:(
@kobesbuddy So heartbreaking. Those who abuse innocent animals, more often than not, move on to abuse humans too.
It does sound like a good book.
It is a wonderful book. I rarely reread a book, but this one is definitely worthy of many reads.
Aw so happy this book is such a beautiful treasure for you Deborah! It sounds there are not many books to compete with this one.
Yes, my friend, this one is a very special book. A book worthy or rereading again and again.
Now that sounds like my kind of book.
You would really enjoy this book TR!
@bunnybon7 (35527)
• Holiday, Florida
sounds like a book all should read. problem is i think people that are mean to animals and abusive you can not help. i think trying to make them understand how they should be to Gods wonderful things he gave us, never seems to work. of course thats not to say it won't work with children. i think if those abusers were raised differently and had a special pet as a child. that might work. but i have known adults nothing changed their nasty heart.
If schools were required to teach humane education from day one, this world would be a better place. The USA gets a grade of D in animal welfare due to the lack of humane education and cruel slaughter practices.
@bunnybon7 (35527)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 you are so right there. i still think though this country treats them better then most. except maybe India. that is probably the best place for animals
@bunnybon7 Austria, England, Switzerland and Germany are the top four. The US is way down on the list.
It sounds like it's somewhat of a tear jerker.
It is, but it is more inspiring than sad.
Does it inspire you to go out and adopt an injured pet @Corbin5 ?
@rebelann It does. We adopted Ashley, a gorgeous toy poodle, who was abandoned on Ashland Ave. in Chicago. Ashley had epilepsy and diabetes, but we adopted him and provided the medical care he needed to treat both maladies. He did lose his sight due to diabetes years later. He was one special pup. Will have to have a discussion with Molly and she how it goes regarding adopting a pet who suffers from illness or injury.
Aww so happy to see you have read it already and love it so much! Maybe if you know other people who would enjoy it buy them a copy when you have to think of a gift for them.
Yes, I do know many people who would love this book as a gift. I rarely keep books, but this one is a keeper.
@Madshadi (8951)
• Brussels, Belgium
Sounds like a very good book. Too bad you couldn't share it with your students
Yes, the book came out a bit too late, but I do hope some teacher out there shares this book with his or her students.
@KristenH (23308)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Aww that's so sweet. Sounds like a great story to read and share with others.
It really is a wonderful read. Hopefully, many will be inspired after reading this one.
@KristenH (23308)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 I hope you're right.
that is great there Deb.Well said there.You had me tearing again.
The words used by Mr. Levin are beyond beautiful, my friend. I will return to this book again and again to read those words that are of the most tender kind imaginable. Tearing up is a given with this marvelous book.
That sounds a wonderful book. There are a couple of special books I will never part with although one I will have to re-purchase as it hasn't come back from the last person I lent it too - and I can't remember who that was.
Oh yes, many a great book can go missing when given to another to read. I do hope you find the one that has not come back to you.
@ridingbet (47109)
i shed a tear when i read about the abuses of human beings do to their pet dogs. i think i get so emotional when i read dogs that are abandoned and i feel hatred to their owners. the dog in the picture lost an ear, am i right? i am so sorry.
Yes, he was used as a bait dog in dogfighting. He was only a little over two months old when he was severely injured by other dogs.
@ridingbet (47109)
@Corbin5 i think and i hope the dog is still alive.
@ridingbet Well, Oogy passed away at age 12 surrounded by the family that loved him so much.
@nela13 (5066)
• Portugal
Seems a wonderful book, I will try to find it in my country.
I hope you can find it. It is a wonderful book.
@nela13 (5066)
• Portugal
@Corbin5 It seems the kind of story that I like.
The book sounds very touching. So happy you are enjoying it so much.
It is a keeper for sure. Such beautiful words expressed in that book by Mr. Levin.
@Shiva49 (12076)
We need the reminder all the time to be grateful to our fellow travelers for giving us their company and even showing us the way how to live and let others live. Then how to love another in the purest form - siva
Such wise words you have shared here, my friend.
I must read it now. It was so very nice for @amadeo to send it to you.
It was such a wonderful surprise. Mr. Levin shares the beauty that occurs when one loves an animal.
@yanzalong (10150)
It must be a very good book.
It is an excellent book, for sure.