Diary 28th To 30th December 2017

Photo taken by me – my 2017 diary
Preston, England
Diary Thursday 28th December 2017 A quiet few days at home between the bank holidays following yesterday’s tour of Chorley. The weather was disintegrating and I was happy to stay in. My only trip out was to post a letter in a post box just five minutes walk from home, which felt like I was on a Polar expedition in the freezing wind and rain. I was very glad to get back to my warm flat. Diary Friday 29th December 2017 I got my final wage from the post office work and my December welfare payment but the latter was severely reduced due to the temporary work I did, and several bills decimated my wages too, leaving me not much better off than if I hadn’t worked at all. Diary Saturday 30th December 2017 The penultimate day of the year, and apart from a quick bus journey to the city centre to renew my monthly bus pass it was another day in, though fortunately it was a bit warmer despite lots of clouds. I did my daily online job searching and spent the rest of the day doing not much of anything. Arthur Chappell
@Angela150 (957)
• London, England
We put all of our bills on direct debit, as most of the utility companies offer discounts for putting bills on direct debit. It seems that all wages just seem to be eaten up by bills and tax in the UK.
• Preston, England
@Angela150 most of my bills are direct debits too
Ah, but at least you now have some up to date work experience to add to your CV!
• Bournemouth, England
Can they force you to take a job if you would be worse off?
• Preston, England
@asfarasiknow they will convince themselves I am better off and they see willingnes to work as more important than earning enough to feed yourelf
• Bournemouth, England
@arthurchappell I think what you publish here could have an application way beyond this site. It's an ongoing, first-hand account of what it's really like to be looking for work in the UK in 2018 and how you get treated.
• Preston, England
@asfarasiknow that is an option worth considering, thanks
The welfare people are aware that your job was temporary - therefore they should still pay you in full.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 they pay only 33% of welfare for every £ pound earned in any given month at the ame time as the council tax is charged in full because there is employmnt related income - while on full welfare council tax is heavily reduced for me - the result can mean it isn't financially worth working if the earning are low
@arthurchappell Exactly, - there is also your transportation cost.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 yes that is always among my biggest costs
Being poor is the pits. We live in housing here and if we make a dime they want to hear about it. Ugh!
• Preston, England
@celticeagle same here, they would stop my welfare if I didn't declare everything down to the last penny earned
@arthurchappell .....I know how that is. Same here.
You have to renew your bus pass monthly? I do mine yearly, though I hardly ever use it.
• Preston, England
@jaboUK ye, it is a monthly saver ticket for the services, not a penioners free travel pass - I don't qualify for those for 9 years
@arthurchappell Oh I see.
Don't you just love how they take away what you earn? Nothing like not letting a guy have a small amount of extra money to pay bills or save for an emergency.
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 yes it is horrible - you end up running on the spot no matter how much faster you go
It is very dispiriting when you feel that you've been working for next to nothing.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, it is extremely demoralizing
At least the more experience you gain the more you have a chance at getting another job. Wishing you all the best in the New Year and hope you have the best of years.
The 28th was very cold here too, a bit better the two following day. It is frustrating to work and to discover that finally what remains on your bank account is the same amount if would have received not working. It's not an incentive to work.
It is hard to be out and about in nasty weather. Glad you were able to get some things done. It is freezing here.