Well, That Didn't Work.

Pixabay image.
By Jabo
United Kingdom
Two months ago I wrote a post stating that I had finally given in and got myself the flu jab. Well, I have to tell you that it didn't work. I've just had a horrible bout of the flu, and it's left me weak and lethargic. To add insult to injury, I'm sure I picked it up at the doctor's office. I had to take my husband there last week, and everyone in the waiting room was coughing or sneezing. Oddly, my husband hasn't caught it, thank goodness. When I had the jab they did say that it is only effective with strains of the flu that are already known, and they are calling this one the 'Australian flu'. Apparently that is where this particular strain originated, (thanks Judy!). I'm very rarely ill, so I shouldn't grumble, and at least I'm over the worst now.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I get offered the flu jab every year and always decline. This year the nurse telephoned me and even offered to come to my home to administer it, but I still declined. I have no recollection of ever having flu, yet I get pestered every year. This year I was told that my declining health makes the inoculation more necessary, but I have the opposite view. My current condition makes me less able to deal with the injection.
I think you are right not to have the jab - your body must have enough to cope with as it is. I don't think I'll bother having it again.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK My neighbour had the jab this year and was bad for a week.
@Asylum It had no affect on me when I actually had it.
So sorry to hear you got the flu. According to reports, you are still lucky to have gotten it. The shot helps limit the severity of the flu in most cases. I've been getting the shot for years and years and so far haven't had the flu at all.
You're lucky Dianne. Perhaps I am recovering quicker than I would if I hadn't had the shot - it's a job to tell really.
@jaboUK They say it could have been worse for people such as yourself. Thank goodness the worst is behind you and your husband didn't get it!
Oh, that is such a shame but I refuse to take responsibility for you catching the flu. You see, I'm a WEST Australian and that makes all the difference. There is no way any of us West Aussies would give anyone the flu (or anything else for that matter).
Aha - WESTERN Australia is obviously the good part!
@jaboUK That's true. Western Australia would never give you the flu!
I heard on the news today that the flu vaccine this year is just not strong enough to fight all that's out there. I have never gotten a flu shot, and I have never had the flu. I hope that holds.
I hope that holds for you too. This was the first time I've had the jab, but don't think I'll bother again.
I have been having shots for many years.Never had the flu or cold. Sorry that this not work out for you
Lucky you Alfredo. I'm sorry too that it didn't work.
@jaboUK well do you think you had this before the shot?just saying.
@amadeo No, because I had the shot at the beginning of November.
Sorry to hear you are sick. I had my shot and so far have not been sick.
I hope that stays like that for you Laurel. In England there are apparently 150% more people with flu than is usual at this time of year.
@jaboUK wow that is scary.
@Fleura (7191)
@Happy2BeMe @jaboUK well that kind of depends on how many there usually are. If there are normally 2 cases, then 150% more would be an extra 3. On the other hand if there are normally 2 million cases then of course the situation is a lot worse. Statistics need to be interpreted with care!
It's not of necessity strains 'already known' as it is strains they think will be most prevalent for this season. At least the strains you are inoculated against won't bother you this season. And yeah...BOO @JudyEv !!! It's all your fault!
I wonder why there are so many different varieties of flu - it's a dang nuisance. Yes boo-hiss at ya Judy!
@jaboUK @JolietJake Your boos and hisses missed as I'm round the corner on the other side of the world. Anyway, it's not a West Australian flu so I'll accept your apology at any time. Have I shown you what the world really looks like? So to you two. Who's down under now, eh??
@JudyEv @jaboUK might let you get away with that, but here I show that you have a direct line to the USA
This is why we never get a flu shot. They do not know what the new flu will be, it's a guessing game, so I prefer not to have germs in my body.
I've always thought the same Anna, until this year. You can be sure that I won't bother having it next year.
@jaboUK Last year I got the flu and it was the first time since I was married, that means that I had no problems for 44 years. I hope to be safe this year, going back and forth from the hospital to visit my mother you can never know.
@LadyDuck That's the trouble with visiting hospitals and doctors' surgeries - germs are bound to be rife there.
I absolutely never get the jab and so far never get the flu. I am so sad that you got it, the doctor's office is best avoided at this time of year.
I wish we could have avoided the doctor's office, but my husband has been quite poorly so we had to go.
@jaboUK I am so sorry I hope you are now feeling better.
@BelleStarr Thank you Iz, I'm nearly back to normal now. Happy New Year to you.
• Preston, England
ouch, that is grim. Hope you recover soon
Thanks Arthur, I'm much better now.
• Preston, England
@jaboUK I've never had the flu and never been immunized against it
@silvermist (20100)
I am sorry the flu shot did not work for you.Here usually most of us do not take this shot.
I shouldn't think that flu is so prevalent in India as it is here.
@Shiva49 (12969)
@jaboUK I think the flu affects more in colder climates - siva
@silvermist (20100)
@jaboUK It is not that cold here.
@TheSojourner (17454)
Keep taking good care of yourself. Get over this soon! I'm sorry to hear that it got you
Yep, it got me good, but I'm getting over it now. Still coughing, but at least I'm not aching all over like I was. Thanks for your concern.
You must have imagined that jab and in truth your husband must have got it!!!
Lol - my husband did have one at the same time, and no - he didn't get a double dose
I read that the flu shots aren't very effective this year, and in the US it's really bad, in most states. I'm sorry your sick, and hope you feel better soon.
Thank you, flu seems to be all over the world I'm afraid.
Get well soon. Sorry to hear the shot didn't work.
Thanks TR. I'm getting over it now, though I'm still coughing.
I did not get the flu shot. Sorry that you did and still got sick.
I feel for you. I don't know why offices don't put those that are contagious into private rooms away from the waiting room where others can be infected. I hope that you are on the mend and getting stronger every day now.
That would make sense to segregate the contagious, but they don't seem to think about these things. Yes, I'm recovering well thanks.
Well, there's another reason I won't go for a jab, most people wait until they start sneezing or whatnot to get one and I for one do not intend on being around them. So far so good ........... now where's the wood for me to knock on I'm glad you've gotten past the worst of it, hopefully you'll be in the peak of health very soon. Aren't you in Spain?
No, we came back from Spain the Tuesday before Christmas. Yes, find some wood quick!
Oh yeah, I forgot @jaboUK you had a big deal at your home, how did everything go?
@rebelann Yes, it went well thanks - I didn't get really ill till the day after Christmas Day, so I was able to put on a good meal for everyone.
@pgntwo (21648)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Hope you're feeling chipper again soon, be a shame to see a new year in from the depths of a flu-ridden fugue...
Thanks pgn, but I won't be doing any roistering on New Year's Eve. Perhaps I'll just gently watch the telly from my armchair
@pgntwo (21648)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@jaboUK Likewise. They all looked suitably chilly standing looking across the Thames at the big wheel...
@pgntwo Happy New Year to you pgn.
@ridingbet (52704)
your body should have developed passive immunity because you were given a shot of the flu vaccine. i hope the flu did not last longer than 2 days or less.
I was only really bad for a couple of days, but it was coming on for a couple of days before that. Now I just feel weak and am still coughing, and this is about a week after it started.
@ridingbet (52704)
@jaboUK i wish you will get better now that the new year is here
@ridingbet Thanks Ingrid, I'm feeling heaps better already