The Year is Quickly Waning

Winston Salem, North Carolina
2017 is rapidly coming to a close. Most years I’d be up in the kitchen starting a batch of oliebollen (dutch doughnuts) to help us ring in the New Year. Not this year. I’ve been sidelined with a stomach bug the last couple of days and am still a little too wobbly to spend time hovering over a vat of hot oil so my people will have to do without. Speaking of “my people” out of our traditional six on New Year's Eve we’re down to four this year. The oldest son is in Germany watching the fireworks from a mountainside (with temperatures warmer than ours). The oldest daughter is on her way to Atlanta for The Passion Conference, a huge gathering of Christian young adults. We will have our traditional spread of appetizers, but I suspect some of us won’t make it to the ball drop this year, Oh well, it’s been that kind of a year. 2017 has been a difficult year, life has thrown us some unexpected curve-balls, but in the end, we’ve come out on top and look forward to whatever is in store for us in 2018.
Oh dear sorry you will not get to make your doughnuts. Still yes, same here, 2017 was rubbish for me here. Lets have faith for the new year..Happy New Year to you and family xo
Thanks! A blessed New Year to you and yours as well!
@Platespinner Welcome, yes indeed, Gods blessings be upon us all.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I hope you feel better soon and that 2018 will be a wonderful year for you.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new year will bring.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Platespinner I hope it will all be good.
Sorry you are not feeling well. Wishing you a wonderful 2018!!!
I'm much better than I was even yesterday, so there is hope!
@Morleyhunt (20438)
I opted not to make olliebollen either. Too much of the family is absent. The youngest has requested them for her birthday in 12 days. That seems a good idea.
Maybe we'll have them for my birthday....
@Morleyhunt (20438)
@Platespinner that's an idea. Hope that you are feeling better.
2017 was good to us and I'm feeling optimistic about this year. It's already arrived for us. I hope 2018 is a great year for your family too.
Happy New Year, Judy!
terrible 2017, let it go! I hope you feel better tomorrow. Happy new year to you.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I hope your stomach is better. May you have a better 2018
Thanks. I'm much better this morning. I actuallyade it out of the house to take the dog for a walk.
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Platespinner that’s lovely
@xFiacre (4819)
@platespinner I'm already in 2018 and it's not looking too bad so far. You'll be cured by the end of it!!
I should hope so!
Already 7 hours into 2018 here in Manila. Hope your 2018 is better than your 2017!
I am so envious of your son happy New Years to you. I hope that you feel better soon.
Oh my I think your sons adventure in Germany sounds like an amazing way to spend the new year. The donuts sound awesome so cool that you usuallly make them for new years eve. I made macaroni and cheese and tacos for dinner nothing special ha ha.
Happy New Year! Wishing you a wonderful 2018
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Hope coming year will be successful for you, happy new year.
I also prepared a spread of appetizers, but we were too tired to stay up until midnight. The year 2017 has not been a good year, I have no expectations for 2018, I simply hope it will not be as bad as the past one.
@Srbageldog (8227)
I hope 2018 is a better year for you.
Here's to a more positive 2018.
My mother used to make oliebollen also, her family immigrated from Belgium, but it sounds the same. So delicious. I hope that you wake feeling stronger and ready for the new year.