Yes, Another Post About the Cold

@Raelove (16290)
Saco, Maine
At this point, it's almost funny. Right now, it's -16 F (-26.6 C) out, and the reality of that made me forget that today is January 1st, 2018. I've never set much store but this particular holiday, and I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. It is to some. To the rest of us, it's just another day, and a mighty cold one at that. But I've been saying that for nearly two weeks now, and it's predicted to continue until Thursday, when it looks like we could be in for a major snowstorm here in New England. It was too early for the weather forecasters to predict snow amounts. But if it stays this cold, then we most likely won't see the dreaded freezing rain we often do here. In any case, I have to go out later, but I'll wait until the sun beats on my car to warm it up a bit. And today, that's all it's gonna be: a bit! To all you northern folks, stay warm. And if you do go out, be sure to dress properly. Getting a case of frostbite would not be a good way to start a new year. (Public Domain Image)
We left our car out in the sun today and it was stifling when we got into it. And I seem to be getting a really nice tan now!
• Olney, Illinois
Kiss. My. Butt.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@JolietJake Temper, temper!
• Olney, Illinois
I was just telling my sister on facebook she needs to move back home. She lives about 100 miles west of me and it's -23 F there, while we are MUCH warmer at -4 F here.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
I have a friend in northern Minnesota, and the weather map reads about the same there. But you know, I noticed that, once it's below 0, it's really hard to tell the difference between one temp and another. That kind of cold is just plain COLD. And -4 feels as bad as -16 or -23. And no, I'm not wondering what -50 feels like in the Arctic!
• Olney, Illinois
@Raelove I got nosy the other day and found out that F and C both match at -40, and the technical term for that is -40 Freezinheit
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@JolietJake You learn something new every day, my mother used to say...
@moffittjc (36855)
• Gainesville, Florida
Sorry to hear it's so cold there. I won't rub it in by telling you that I was lounging out by the pool at my resort at Disney World this morning, because this afternoon the tail end of that cold system you're experience finally made it's way down to Florida. After the freezing rain and gusting winds push the front through, it's going to get down to 32F tonight (0C), and for the next 3 days we'll have low temps in the mid-20's. Not nearly as bad as what you're experiencing, but it feels that bad to us southerners who aren't used to this kind of weather! haha
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
My son lives in Colorado, and it's been in the 60's there. When I told him what it was like here, he laughed. We have this joke going back and forth about our weather extremes. As bad as this gets, I am used to it. This is my 67th winter, and it hasn't killed me yet!
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@moffittjc Wow. I love 60's temps. That's my ideal. I can stand up to 80 max, and then I start to get uncomfortable.
@moffittjc (36855)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Raelove You and I sound a lot alike. I cannot stand temperatures above 80, yet I live in Florida and have to deal with that most of the year! haha
I had a good laugh watching the Rose Parade. At the end they showed the thermometer at 84 in Pasadena, then in Queens, NY it was 12, and here it was -3 with a -25 wind chill. Yes, it's cold out there, but there are some places that have it toasty as Al Roker said.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
Did you happen to see the Times Square cowboy? The nitwit wearing just jockey shorts and cowboy hat? Enough said.
@Raelove No, I missed seeing that idiot.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@just4him Ya, "idiot" is a good word for anyone who'll stand out in subzero weather in nothing but skivvies.
It is cold here but not as cold as you. We are under a wind chill advisory with 10-15 below zero windchills! I hope you keep warm and stay safe in the cold!
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
Today is supposed to be the worst of the entire span so far.Thanks, I will.
@Raelove I heard that on the news. I am getting tired of this cold and just want it to end. Hopefully, it will get warmer soon for both of us!
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
@Marty1 There's a big coastal storm approaching that will get her on Thursday. Then it'll chill right back down into the single digits again after that. This is going to be a very long winter...
@hiraahmed (386)
Oh my God. How you people survive in such an amazing temperature.. It is 21 degree here and we are like..it,s very cold
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
It got to 20 here the other day and that actually felt NICE! When you've lived here all your life, you get used to it.
• Olney, Illinois
@Raelove Pretty sure they mean 21 C...
@JolietJake You are right..
@WriterAI (4213)
• Bulgaria
Thank you for your informative post. It's cold here too. And it's raining.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
If it were raining here, it wouldn't be nearly this cold. I'd welcome that right about now.
We have -12 which is not as bad as -16, but close. I am happy I do not have to be out and about today. I will be so pleased to see the 20s again.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
So will I!
Awfully cold here too.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
Makes me long for spring even more!
Get out the long johns!
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
Way ahead of ya!
@1creekgirl (9065)
I can't even imagine anything below zero. My friend in Mass and our grandson in Maine are seeing records set in this cold. It's so dangerous.
@Raelove (16290)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it is, not to mention uncomfortable just going from the house to the car and back.