I'm Counting Down Again

Happy 2018 to everyone! Here I am, the first of the year and I find myself counting down again. Our son and his wife have been texting me this morning. Of course we wished each other a happy new year but I also reminded them in a text. I reminded them that only 65 more days until they take possession of the home that they just bought. Nobody likes moving, but with the right planning and pacing you can get it done the smart way. I offered them use of our stack of plastic tote boxes. I have quite a bit of bubble wrap that we got when we bought our new Christmas tree, and I held on to that as I knew that the kids would be moving soon. Those 65 days will fly by, and I hope that they are ready for it. When was your last move? ~Photo is mine of our son and his wife.
@YrNemo (14736)
A very happy couple, very good looking, both of them. (We last moved house about a decade ago!)
Thank you. They moved last April, and sold their home a couple of months later. They are only leasing for a year, and their year will soon be up. Most of their things are not even unpacked.
@YrNemo (14736)
@Juliaacv Best wishes re: their coming home moving.
@YrNemo Thank you!!!
I had a movement just this morning, but I don't think that's what you meant
lol
I don't intend to move, it's more dangerous to move out there.
How do you feel its dangerous?
My last move was November 2014.
Its such hard work.
This is the house where I have been most in my life. I have lived here over 20 years.
We lived in our last home for over 20 years, it gets so comfortable doesn't it?
Your son and daughter-in-law are a beautiful couple! He is ao handsome, and she is gorgeous! I am still living in the house where I was born and never moved out. Tell the young couple they are in my thoughts to have a good move!
Thank you. They do compliment each other with their heights, and cute looks. They bought a 5 bedroom home, it has a big pie shaped lot on a nice quiet crescent. We couldn't be happier for them, thank you for your well wishes.
@Juliaacv that sounds like a huge house. Hopefully, they will fill it up with grandbabies for you! You would be a perfect grandma!
@Marty1 Well thank you, but I'm not thinking that there will be any children any time soon, they are travelling later this year and are concerned about the Zica virus. And she isn't getting any younger, so we'll sit back and watch. I know that they want another dog.
That's an exciting countdown. My last move was in 2016.
I remember your last move, its hard to believe that its been 18 months already. Right now we feel like we'd like to move back to the area that we moved from last year. But not until we retire, so that it can be our last move-health permitting of course. This city is just too busy and too big and our dearest friends are too far away.
@Juliaacv So you are planning on moving back to the city you came from after you retire. Hard to believe it's been that long, but I love it here, and have no plans to move.
@just4him That is how we feel right now, but you know how feelings can change, so we aren't writing it in stone or anything.
@katsmeow1213 (29043)
We've lived here for 6 years, and have been wanting to move again since we moved in, LOL. We inherited the house from hubby's parents. It needs so much work and we can't really afford to do the work. But it's a place to live and we can afford the mortgage.. so we stay. We have been going back and forth about whether we want to fix it or just buy a new place, but we're not in a position to do either right now.
You will know when the time is right to move, otherwise, if you all fit in there and its affordable you cannot really go wrong. Just think of all of the equity you are building into this home, so if you do ever choose to move you'll be far better off.
@Juliaacv No, the house isn't worth what is owed on it because his parents never did any maintenance and they took out a second mortgage just a few years before they passed. We'll get nothing out of this house unless we put some serious work into it. The biggest problem we have is all the work it needs. It's drafty, it's ugly, it's costing us a fortune because it's not well kept, and we can't have anyone over because it's ugly and embarrassing. Makes it hard for the kids when they can't have friends over..
@katsmeow1213 That's too bad. I remember our son was good friends with a couple of boys when he was younger who each lived in a really modest home. But he always loved going over there, the kids would play and use their imaginations like no place else.
I think that nobody likes to move. Our last move (and I hope it is really the last) was from France to Switzerland, 8 years ago, an important International and not easy move, involving to go through two Customs (Italian and Swiss).
Oh that would have made things complicated. What made you choose Switzerland?
@Juliaacv This part of Switzerland is close to the city in Italy where we both were born. We always loved Switzerland and it was our dream to come here to live. We finally succeeded.
Way back in the 80's when I went to college. But that didn't last long as I had weird room mates and apparently a hooker lived in the building too. I didn't stay there long.
That is a long time ago, are you in the same home that you moved to back then?
@Juliaacv I had moved from the family home to a town over from us. Now back in the family home. Now it's Bernie and mine's home.
My last move was almost 8 years ago and now my middle daughter is trying to talk me into moving closer to her. As much as it seems like a good idea I'm not keen on all that comes with selling and moving. Who knows what the future brings. Happy New Year!! Yes those 65 days will fly by for your son and daughter in law.
We want to move back to the area that we came from when we retire. I miss it more then he does, although he does miss a lot of our friends also as well as the area in general. So we will move again within the next 10 years or so.
We moved into our present house in 1991,
We moved just a month before that, December 1 1990 because we were expecting our second child and needed another bedroom. We lived there until the fall of 1996 when we moved to the beautiful home in the wonderful little French village that we just moved from less then a year ago. We were talking about that move last night. Everybody warned us that we would be outcasts because we cannot understand nor speak French, yet we were so welcomed. We miss living there, the people were so kind to us.
@Dena91 (4868)
Our last move was 25 years ago when we moved from our rental into our home. Neither of us like to move as we did a lot as kids. Hope you son and his wife have an easy move.
Thanks, they will have lots of help so I am sure that it will be an easy move. And she is very organized, so that is a huge help.
@m_audrey6788 (18418)
For now, I`m wishing to move into our very own house but still enjoying our small place here
• Pamplona, Spain
Don´t like moving as I am always roped in to get them all organized and its very tiring always as they can be lazy and not want to to do things like they should be done. Good luck though with the move it can be easy it can be easy putting one´s mind to it.
Thank you. I am going to push those 2 until they are good and organized. Its too stressful otherwise.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Juliaacv Way to go otherwise us girls end up doing all the biggest part of it. I certainly don´t want to go through that again for a while at least.
@lovinangelsinstead21 No, actually our son gets stuck doing the majority of it. So knowing how they are with this I am all ready to roll up my sleeves and help out.
Our last move was 7 years ago. Just downsized from the big house to a ranch house in the same suburb, but selling a home is exhausting, as is the moving into a new one. This is house #4 and hopefully, the last one. Hope the young couple are all set to move when the time comes.
They put things off, so I feel that we may be busy trying to push them so that things aren't so last minute.
@Juliaacv Josh and Katie were never ready for the move. .The had the moving truck, but not everything was packed. I felt weird packing a lot of their belongings while the truck sat outside. My husband and I were not happy they waited to the last minute, but we did not say anything. However, I did tell them, "Hire movers to pack your things or have friends help the next time you move." We were exhausted due to being old, and we never want to do that again. Kids!!!
@Corbin5 Our kids were almost in that same predicament, all of their clothes had to be put onto hangers and into the wardrobes that the movers supply. Klaudia and I did that. Otherwise we did not do a thing. They really burned the midnight oil, so to say, those few nights before they moved, sorting things and packing. I felt sorry for them as they put themselves into a really stressful situation and added to it by not being prepared. This time we are both going to promote a more organized and easy move. We won't do it, but we can motivate. I just texted her and told her that I have some bubble wrap and a roll of the rubber non-skid for the kitchen cupboards-we'll bring it to them.
I only moved 8 miles the last time but that was back in 2002. My dad helped us and my father in law let us use his truck. My father was shocked by how much clothes my boyfriend had lol
Our kids are moving about an hour from one house to the next. I would imagine that they will hire a moving company to do the furnishings, and some of their boxes, between them and us we should be able to manage the rest of their tote boxes. It will be a gradual move over the course of about 3 weeks as during that time they will be having new flooring installed and painting done on the interior.
@Juliaacv Doing it gradually is a lot easier!
@shaggin I offered to go and open the house when needed for the installers, which I've done in the past for them, but our daughter-in-law reminded me that I'll be going to a completely empty house this time, no tv, no furniture. But I reminded her that I'll do it for them (again) and brink a book and maybe some cleaning stuff to clean out the cupboards and then scrub down both bathrooms to help take the workload off of them.
Our last move was in 2004. We've never stayed in one house that long before. We moved three times in a year that year so we did get rid of a lot of rubbish with each move.
The kids moved last year and they are more minimalist then we are, so I'm hoping that they haven't accumulated too much over the course of the time since their last move.
@Juliaacv You really don't need a lot of 'things' do you? But sometimes it seems hard to stop them accumulating.
@PainsOnSlate (20844)
My husband and I moved with our children almost every year as he worked on his job and his desire to get to the top. He got to the top in Canada, we moved here in the 80's, we rented homes until we knew where we wanted to live forever, we found that house about 12 years ago. When we moved here, we knew we will be here until we die.... I'd have to think about it but I know we moved when younger at least 40 times...probably more.
I know that you told me this before, that you and the family have moved, but I had no idea that moved that many times. That's a lot! Our kids moved last year, and quite often if we offer to get them something they will decline reminding us that they need to move again, and don't want to have too much.
@Juliaacv 40 might be a bit too many. We moved all over Kansas, one job each move in Kansas, we moved twice in Missouri, spend a year in Indiana, so 40 was not even close...maybe 20 in total. It just felt like 40
What a beautiful couple. They really do fly by, and I've been caught before without all the things packed when the big day arrives.
Thank you. They moved less then a year ago, and I hope that they learned their lesson about packing before the actual day of.....